Feature Request: Touch ID

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Trey M, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

The most annoying part of using my Apple Watch is having to enter the 4 digit passcode on the tiny screen multiple times day, for various reasons. Even if I have my iPhone, occasionally I still need to enter the 4 digit passcode.

Apple needs to integrate a TouchID sensor into the watches crown. This way we can avoid ever having to enter a 4 digit code, except perhaps after initially powering on the device. Not sure if this has already been suggested but it dawned on me today so thought I'd share!

2. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Into the Watches Crown? Please share how this would be feasible?

3. Trey M thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Into the flat- facing part of the crown. It would require significant reduction in the surface area required for TouchID but it doesn't seem infeasible. Due to the fact that Apple is rumored to be integrating TouchID into the screen altogether in the next iPhone, which would eliminate the need for the metal ring altogether, it seems possible they could find a way to translate the technology to the smaller surface area of the watch crown. Even if it would require the crown to be slightly larger, I think it'd be an excellent addition to the :apple: Watch.

4. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Apple has a patent for Touch ID on screen itself so it's possible for the watch. That said I have never turn on passcode for my watch, ever.
    Do you need it for Apple Pay?

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

6. locksmack macrumors member

Why? I only do it once - when I put it on in the morning. Are you constantly taking your watch off during the day?

7. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Why, is your iPhone a 5 or 5C and doesn't have touch ID? Even if it is just use your iPhone passcode since you are doing that anyway.

8. BrettDS macrumors 65816

I'm curious about this too. I think that in the 16 months I have owned an Apple Watch I have had to put in the passcode a grand total of maybe 15 times. And those were usually because I put on the watch in the morning and didn't use the phone before I wanted to use the watch. For the most part I put on the watch in the morning and it unlocks as soon as I unlock my phone and isn't locked again until the next morning when the process repeats.

What are you doing that requires multiple password entries a day?

9. Trey M thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Unlock with iPhone is not an ideal solution here. I have it enabled, when I use it it works well, but the whole point is to be able to do everything I need to do on the watch and not pull out my iPhone at all. The defeats the whole purpose of having the Watch-- it's meant to be used quickly and then get out of your way again.

The 4 digit passcode is required to be enabled for various Apple features; Apple Pay and Watch Unlock on Sierra. These are critical features for me so I will always need the 4 digit passcode enabled. A few examples of when I'm needing to enter in the passcode: Obviously when you power the device on (not complaining about this), when I leave my phone in the car and go into a store to use ApplePay (I have to re-key in the code when my phone is too far away), or when I'm putting the Watch back on after taking it off. I take mine off several times a day, and unless my iPhone is also in range, it requires me to key in the code again.

I suppose integrating TouchID straight into the screen on the Watch as well would be an even more elegant solution than integrating it into the crown, however it seems unlikely given the lack of real estate for new features within the Watch's internals.

10. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Why do you remove your :apple:Watch so often? Keep in mind we need to unlock our iPhone several times an hour. However most people don't need to unlock their :apple:Watch more than a couple of times a day. This is so rare that using the iPhone or inputing the code is hardy consider an inconvenience by ANYONE.

It is highly unlikely that Apple will feel the need to implement a touch ID system on the :apple:Watch since almost no one except you is asking for it or would find it useful.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I, too, am wondering what is prompting you to enter the passcode so often. I enter my passcode maybe three times a day. When I put the watch on in the morning, when I put it back on after switching bands for a run/gym, after wiping it down and replacing the band again. Anything beyond that is out of the ordinary.

12. Mark. macrumors member

I am baffled as to why you need to type your Watch passcode so many times a day.

I wake up, shower and then put on the Watch. I then either unlock my iPhone with TouchID (which unlocks the watch) or I type my passcode on the Watch itself.

I then continue to wear the Watch all day, unlocked, until it's time to take it off for bed and charge it.

For me, there is no need for TouchID to feature on the Watch itself.

13. mthomas184 macrumors 6502

mthomas184

The only time I have had that happen is if the watch is too loose and keeps raising up off your wrist. Other than that, it gets unlocked once and that is in the morning. And 98% of the time, its unlocked by the phone when its first put on and then never locks again until the next day.

14. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Why the heck don't you unlock the Watch with your phone?! Also, if you have to enter the passcode 16 times a day you're wearing it wrong aka too loose.