Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HTrig

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Ive only been a member here for a relatively limited amount of time but ive started to notice that in some OS related news thread later posts tend to stray from the original topic and become battlefields for, for lack of better terms, "fanboys" and "trolls". Examples include long arguments over whether apple has stolen features from windows or if it is the other way round, whether apple is marketing existing features as new due to a new look (ie time machine) and many others.

Now i know that the above terms do not apply to all those arguing on these topics. A lot of posters bring up very good, often educational, points that help to further peoples knowledge of the system as a whole. Still due to these posts it often seems that the front page stories have a second or even third embedded thread. So in a flash of inspiration (or frustration im not sure which) i decided to create this thread.

The idea is to move a few of the more opinionated posts on feature discussion from the threads supposedly discussing things like the "leopard guided tour". So if someone posts an opinion such as "OMG this feature is so brilliant and will only ever work with apple" you can direct them to this thread and (moderators willing) let loose all the reasons you believe this to be untrue. Alternately someone may post something along the lines of "this is SOOOO taken from MS why are apple taking all the credit" and here would be the place to debate the point.

I know that this may very well not work and if it does become a black hole of a thread i trust the moderators will delete it. Still i like to see the intelligent factual arguments (i find them very enlightening) but i would prefer them to be posted in this thread where they would not have to be ridiculed by those who note, quite correctly, that they are moving attention from the original post.

Finally if a moderator does see this thread and thinks it is misguided, flawed or simply in the wrong place please do take the necessary measures and message me to try and see if we can improve it. :)

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
oh boy

I agree what you said is true. but its exceeding hard for mods to do the work you mentioned. mainly because there is no objective standard for the judgement.

Life isn't perfect, fanboys and trolls are always there, we just need to live with it.

and the fact is, when in heated discussion, anybody can turn into fanboy, or troll.....

HTrig

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
oh boy

I agree what you said is true. but its exceeding hard for mods to do the work you mentioned. mainly because there is no objective standard for the judgement.

Life isn't perfect, fanboys and trolls are always there, we just need to live with it.

and the fact is, when in heated discussion, anybody can turn into fanboy, or troll.....

i agree fanboys and trolls will always be there i would just like them to use this thread to reduce the off topic post in front page stories. Here i would not mind them being so opinionated and all i would hope a moderator would have to do is check to see if the concept is sound and, if the thread does take off, to check once in a while to make sure that people are not being abusive. i want the posters themselves to move to this thread not be forced.

EDIT: however if the mod does think this thread would be too much work feel free to delete it

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
Well there is no way this will work. For one, the first twenty posts will be ABOUT THIS THREAD and how it will or will not work.... see, its happening!!! lol

But you see to be missing the whole point of a "discussion forum". This is not a "support forum". This are discussed and topics can change in a thread and usually do. While I agree the spats can totally get off topic, thats life!

What you are asking is the equivalent of having a party for sail boat owners but when some start talking about their mortgages, you ask them to leave and start there own party.

juxtaposer

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2007
In A Field
I have to agree with you on this one. There are people who seem to only come here to agitate other users. It gets very tiring, wading through so many posts on the topic of Apple stealing ideas from M$, and vice-versa. It would be impossible though, for the moderators to do anything about this. Live and let live, I say. :)

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
What the OP is looking for, I think, is something like Ars Technica's 'battlefront' ....
this ain't 'Ars Technica' though... :eek:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Sorry, but moving posts in here or encouraging flaming and trolling to take place in this thread isn't going to happen because these things are discouraged all over the forum, and permitting a sinkhole to stash this stuff is neither practical nor desirable, especially when we have the Wasteland already.

Judging by the posts here already, this concept is not going to fly. Thanks for the contribution though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.