Features I Would Like to See in 3.0 (or Later)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lorenwade, Mar 20, 2009.

1. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I didn't see another thread on this, and I kinda wanted to share what I'd like to see. Obviously, this will all be heresay, but would be very cool if these features are implimented. Note: I am not complaining whatsoever. I love Apple products and love my White 16gb iPhone 3G and would be okay if it stayed the way it is forever.

Now that I got that out of the way, here's some cool features I would love:

1) The shuffle has convert-on-the-fly capabilities for people who like to have lossless or high quality files on their computer and transfer smaller-size ones to the iPod. I would love to see this implemented for the iPhone so I could bring all my music with me and still track playcounts and stuff like that.

2) App Store 10mb cap lifted. Even if that means slow internet speeds, I am paying for unlimited data and expect to get that.

3) Headset with Volume Remote too, like the shuffle and other iPods.

4) HULU!!!!! Haha.

5) Native Word and Excel support.

6) Text message sounds! I would love to be able to customize these.

I don't think any of these suggestions seem too obscure to ask for. What do you guys think? What would you like to see?

2. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

1. Status bar notifications

2. Mark multiple e-mails as read

3. Ability to edit song tags and playlists from the iPhone

4. Ability to edit contact groups from the iPhone

5. Ability to add all the contacts from a group to an email or SMS at once

6. When adding contacts to an email or SMS being able to check all the contacts to add, instead of having to go back to add each one

I just want to add that I'm in no way complaining for the lack of these features. I think the iPhone is already great. These are just little things that would make it even better.

3. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

On similar theme, I was disappointed to see that there were no changes to the springboard. As it stands, there is almost no flexibility with respect to app navigation, notifications, and multi-tasking.

Thumbing through multiple, incremental pages is awkward and they didn't add categories. You can't even move icons anywhere on the page you want.

The implementation of notifications on Android and what we have seen on the Pre is simply a superior system to the notification system of the iPhone, which consists of obtrusive pop-ups and non-descriptive badge icons. Unfortunately, it appears they are sticking to their guns with Push notifications so I doubt they have any intentions of changing it. I mean, why take slack for almost a year on Push to hopefully get it right this time, then throw it away for a notifications drawer. (Not saying background app processes are better than Push, only that Push relies on these types of notifications).

Apple doesn't seem like it will be going for multi-tasking apps, but even if they wanted to, there is no place in the springboard to thumb through running apps.

The only way I could see this type of functionality added is a notification drawer as a down swipe from the home screen, and safari-style app switching as an up-swipe from the home screen. But then from the home screen you'd have an app to the left, notification drawer above, running apps below, and pages of app icons to the right? That is not very elegant solution.

4. pnd4pnd macrumors member

ability to switch between inboxes of multiple email accounts easily.

5. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I would like to see Apple bring iChat to the iPhone. Simple request nothing major there.

But mainly I would like to see added support for Bluetooth connectivity with my Mac so I can integrate with Address Book and have Bluetooth Caller ID like some other phones support with Mac and remote sending of SMS via Address Book as well through the iPhone.

6. Mac?Daddy macrumors member

I haven't tested the software personally, but apparently the 10mb cap has been lifted in the 3.0 beta version.

7. Mac?Daddy macrumors member

I have a few small details that are more of annoyances than anything

1) the ability to sort recent calls into incoming and outgoing

2) It would be nice if the phone kept track of the number of sent/recieved text messages in the "usage" menu (Rogers only offers a max of 2500 texts, not unlimited, so it would be nice to see when you are nearing that number)

3) Map street view and transit support for countries outside the United States

4) The ability to zoom, adjust color, etc. on the camera like is available on most cell phone cameras.

5) Here's a BIG one...

Why not work with developers like those behind Cydia (the jailbreak software) to make the ability to customize your iPhone come in the original firmware. While I have already jailbroken my phone (and LOVE it), and have also been able to restore the firmware and take the phone into Apple for service with no warranty issues, it would be nice to be able to customize your phone without risking the warranty lest it crash while you are jailbroken and you cannot restore the phone.

8. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I don't think Apple needs any help from the makers of Cydia to enable customizations. It's just a question of if and when Apple deems it nessesary to include it.

9. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I'd really like to see an improvment to the SB :eek:

10. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

There's already Street View in the UK and France. And that has nothing to do with apple or the iPhone, it has to do with Google.