Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
Do we feel that these will be the differentiating features separating the iPhone 12 from the iPhone 12 Pro? Any other features?

iPhone 12 Pro: Higher resolution OLED display, Promotion 120Hz refresh rate, 6GB RAM, LTPO always on screen, triple-lens array with time of flight sensor, mmWave and sub-6 capable speeds, lighter and thinner design than iPhone 12 with better battery life.

iPhone 12: OLED display, 4GB RAM, dual-lens array, sub-6 capable speeds.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I’ve read that thread. It’s focus is not on the features separating the iPhone 12 from the iPhone 12 Pro, which is why I’ve started this post.
1575995086350.jpeg

This picture and the descriptions below for each model is as good as you will get. All people on this forum can do is guess what features each phone will have and most will be far off from what the actual phones will have. The article is from a very reliable Apple forecaster that has always been very accurate with his information

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
View attachment 881859
This picture and the descriptions below for each model is as good as you will get. All people on this forum can do is guess what features each phone will have and most will be far off from what the actual phones will have. The article is from a very reliable Apple forecaster that has always been very accurate with his information
Yup, I’m aware that we don’t know. I’m speculating.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The 5G Pro will come in both sub-6 only and sub-6 + mmW models. Having mmW support isn't a Pro feature because it's not as if mmW provides faster 5G.

The camera will likely be the biggest differentiator. We're talking 2 lenses vs. 4 lenses.

• 6GB RAM for Pro - likely
  • PPI for Pro - maybe
  • Battery difference for Pro - unlikely, given the additional battery capacity came from removing 3DT, which was already absent on XR and 11

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
The camera will likely be the biggest differentiator. We're talking 2 lenses vs. 4 lenses.
I doubt any 2020 phone will have 4 rear lenses. They just dumped a ton of R&D, money, and marketing into the triple lens setup. We're going to be sitting on that for a couple more years.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I doubt any 2020 phone will have 4 rear lenses. They just dumped a ton of R&D, money, and marketing into the triple lens setup. We're going to be sitting on that for a couple more years.

ToF is a camera lens. The Mate 30 Pro gives you a good idea of what it would look like on the iPhone 5G.

iPhone 5G - wide, ultra wide
iPhone 5G Pro - wide, ultra wide, tele, ToF

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
ToF is a camera lens. The Mate 30 Pro gives you a good idea of what it would look like on the iPhone 5G.

iPhone 5G - wide, ultra wide
iPhone 5G Pro - wide, ultra wide, tele, ToF
Sorry, not happening. Apple has never completely redesigned the camera array two years in a row. Or any iPhone feature for that matter. They're a tick-tock company.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Sorry, not happening. Apple has never completely redesigned the camera array two years in a row. Or any iPhone feature for that matter. They're a tick-tock company.

In that case, every credible analyst is wrong about next year's iPhone: Kuo, Bloomberg/Gurman, Barclays, Nikkei.

2017 - "Apple has never increased base storage two years in a row."
2018 - "Apple has never released three iPhone models at once."
2019 - "Apple will never delete 3D Touch from iPhone. Nor will they lower the price."

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
The 5G Pro will come in both sub-6 only and sub-6 + mmW models. Having mmW support isn't a Pro feature because it's not as if mmW provides faster 5G.
Wait, so you’re saying that there will be four iPhone Pro models, sub-6 only and sub-6 + mmW for each of the two sizes?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Wait, so you’re saying that there will be four iPhone Pro models, sub-6 only and sub-6 + mmW for each of the two sizes?

No, there will be two Pro models. Each of the four new iPhone 5G models will come in "sub-6 only" or "sub-6 + mmW" and will depend on the region.

• Sub-6 only: China, India, most of Europe, rest of world
  • Sub-6 and mmW: United States, Canada, Japan, Korea, UK
The reason mmW exists is because the FCC is unwilling to give up meaty sub-6 frequencies for 5G. Most countries in the world are deploying 5G on sub-6. As a result, Apple doesn't need to put mmW on every iPhone 5G handset.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
Battery difference for Pro - unlikely, given the additional battery capacity came from removing 3DT, which was already absent on XR and 11
You don’t think the Pro will have better battery life than the non Pro models?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
You don’t think the Pro will have better battery life than the non Pro models?

The reason iPhone 11 Pro had improved battery life is because they removed 3DT, which gave Apple internal volume for a bigger battery. That low hanging fruit has already been taken.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
The reason iPhone 11 Pro had improved battery life is because they removed 3DT, which gave Apple internal volume for a bigger battery. That low hanging fruit has already been taken.
I totally hear what you’re saying, but I have to believe the Pro and non Pro models will have different battery life for sake of model differentiation.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Do we feel that these will be the differentiating features separating the iPhone 12 from the iPhone 12 Pro? Any other features?

iPhone 12 Pro: Higher resolution OLED display, Promotion 120Hz refresh rate, 6GB RAM, LTPO always on screen, triple-lens array with time of flight sensor, mmWave and sub-6 capable speeds, lighter and thinner design than iPhone 12 with better battery life.

iPhone 12: OLED display, 4GB RAM, dual-lens array, sub-6 capable speeds.

I’d add/edit to your list:

I expect Apple to adopt from the Apple Watch Series 5, would probably be the always on display [AOD]. We know they tend to cross reference features when they introduce it to one device from one year, it can transition to the next device. There’s no doubt they can do it, it’s a matter if they permit it.

Oh, and The whole ‘image retention’ argument is overblown. It’s a non-issue. Apple just likes to frugal their features they introduce annually. (Mainly for marketing and rationing for annual upgrades.)

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
Oh, and The whole ‘image retention’ argument is overblown. It’s a non-issue. Apple just likes to frugal their features they introduce annually. (Mainly for marketing and rationing for annual upgrades.)
What do you mean by this comment? I didn’t understand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.