Features you like about leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hotshotharry, Oct 27, 2007.

1. hotshotharry macrumors 6502

The first thing i noticed about leopard was how fast it resumed from sleep this morning. And i didnt have to wait the 15 seconds it usually takes to connect to the network, it was nearly instantaneous!! :) woohoo :)

2. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

3. moutian macrumors member

4. stomer macrumors 6502a

Safari 3 is way better than Safari 3 on Tiger. It's much quicker and more stable.
    Spaces are great, my desktops are a lot less cluttered now.
    Time Machine works really really well.
    Finder is usable now. Machines with shares are auto discovered. Autofs stops my system from grinding to a halt when shares aren't available.

5. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

I love spaces, it really suits how i work on my mac,

the fact that i can use the old :apple:+tab to shift from app to app and it switches the space i am in is amazing!!!

safari 3.0 is also great!

its all good!

6. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

That's the killer feature right there! :D

Quicklook and cover flow.

The new Alex voice - use text to speach when editing and proofing documents as an invaluable tool. This new voice is excelent for that.

Spaces - looks like I'll be using this alot more than I had anticipated (on my MacBook at least). Kind of like I didn't think I'd use Spotlight in Tiger, but that ended up being one of the most useful features for my workflow. I can even jump to another "Space" from within a full screen Parallels VM (on those few occasions that I have to fire up an old copy of W2K to run a couple of legacy apps).

The real question is - Aqua or Graphite??? I've swiched to Graphite. It just fits more with the new UI.

Hmmm... Perhaps time for a poll? :D

7. hotshotharry thread starter macrumors 6502

Blue tooth DUN works very nicely now! (so far)

No more 10 second wait to access the airport icon/settings

safari works great now

cpu usage levels seem extremely low as compared to before!!! yay longer battery life ! ?

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

No side borders in Quicktime, Transparent menubar looks really good with my background.

Scrolling background windows.

9. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Well, I'm happy that I'm finally getting my money's worth out of my 100Mbps internet connection!

[​IMG]

I've never seen speeds like this, even on a heavily tweaked XP machine - but since installing Leopard, I've been getting consistently fast speeds. Very impressive!

10. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

Leopard is truly AMAZING!! I love everything about it!.... One thing i was surprised about also is that ical displays the right date..:apple::apple:

11. shlauncha macrumors member

12. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

On the positive side:
    Safari 3
    Time Machine

On the negative side:
    Still no RESOLUTION INDEPENDENCE

13. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

The main thing I love, is that it is SOOOO much faster than Tiger!!!!! My processor would run a little hot in Tiger whenever I'd watch a video on youtube or the like or when I had a few programs open. Haven't heard my fan once!

They truly did one heck of a job on this!!!
    F Vista!

14. hotshotharry thread starter macrumors 6502

HOLY !!!! SH!!!!!!!!T

15. hotshotharry thread starter macrumors 6502

Mail has speed and status bar on the left now !!! nice :)

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

17. hotshotharry thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow the cpu load is almost always perfectly balanced !! and hardly moves out of the bottom box (floating cpu monitor)

And mail setup allows you to cancel server detection without cancelling the whole account setup!!!

I am liking this more and more.

It seems all the improvements are where you cant see them right away ! :)

18. cdd543 macrumors 6502

cdd543

I also really like that ical shows the correct date. Overall it seems faster so that is good! Cover flow for files is very nice.

19. Kendall015 macrumors regular

At first I was a little disappointed by Leopard, but the more I use it the more I realize how terrible going back to Tiger would be. Here's my two cents:

- Spaces will be invaluable
    - Quicklook is a huge time-saver when you just want to know what a document is
    - Stacks really help organize the dock and make it less cluttered for me
    - The help menu search is amazingly useful if you ever use help
    - Common tasks are sped up, like spotlight's results and Safari's page rendering
    - Time Machine is going to save my ass someday
    - Time on top of screen saver is great
    - The whole OS looks more professional...from the folders to the menus...the last remnants of aqua are dying out

I do have a couple drawbacks I've noticed:
    - Startup takes significantly longer (2x as long)
    - The menu bar is cool looking but annoying in use (especially with M$ Office toolbars docked underneath)
    - Mighty Mouse was being ornery after the update...but it's been working OK for a few hours now

I should really do some work instead of play with Leopard....oh well.

20. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I am very happy with Leopard overall.

I have dumped Firefox and took a leap of faith for this ever-snappy safari people talk about so much. I like it a lot, despite some things safari doesnt have that FF does (open application after downloading associated filetype, not having to hold down command to open a link in a tab are just two features i miss right now)
    And i miss my sidebar in iCal that, i felt, reduces extra mouse clickings.

But man overall i love it and was well worth every penny!!!

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I think I'm moving to Japan :eek:

After accidentally deleting one of my accounts in Cha-Ching last night (meant to delete a transaction and hit the wrong button), I'd have to say Time Machine is my favorite feature. I had everything restored in 30 seconds. I'd be screwed if I were in Tiger.

22. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Since I installed first on my MacBook, Spaces has got to be the best feature.

23. illicium macrumors regular

I really like Leopard a lot. So far all of the hyped features seem to live up to their hype for me. The main complaint I seem to hear is about how stacks and the dock in general handle nested folders. I didn't have a single folder in my dock in Tiger, so I don't really know what I am missing out on.

One super small detail that I think is just great, is that one of the byproducts of having a preview icon instead of a normal icon for pictures and videos and stuff is that when you open a folder of music files, their icon is now the album art. I just think that was some sweet attention to detail that hasn't been mentioned yet. See picture:

Attached Files:

24. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

That is brilliant, not that i ever look at the files.

25. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If it weren't for Leopard finally enabling my PB's two-finger right clicking, QuickLook would be my favorite feature.