Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tf_dc

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2016
Which technical functionality that you were actually using in earlier iOS releases is gone with iOS 11 or earlier with iOS 10? Which features that you actually use you expect to be gone soon?

Here is my list:

1 Applications' access to the routing tables - lost in iOS 10
2 The ability to display cellular signal strength in dBm using Field Test app trick - lost in iOS 11
3 Applications' access to the ARP table - lost in iOS 11
4 The control center shortcuts to really switch Bluetooth and WiFi off
5 (pending) AirPort utility to be gone anytime soon as there will be no more new AirPort APs, the last true WiFi scanner/analyzer for iOS to be gone with it (third party apps lost direct access to WiFi controls and data ages ago)

Reactions: Kalloud

cola79

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Saving files directly from safari to cloud services.

Now i have to save them to files first and from there to the desired cloud service. Means, if that is possible. Sometimes i had to open the file with a third party app and had to upload to cloud from there, because from inside files it was not possible.

A large step back in usability compared with earlier versions of iOS.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
I'm really missing the 3D touch gesture to switch apps. Thats the only thing I've noticed at this stage.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
3D touch app switcher is the main one

Though thankfully Apple said it will be coming back in future ios 11 update
[doublepost=1507482001][/doublepost]
I'm really missing the 3D touch gesture to switch apps. Thats the only thing I've noticed at this stage.

Lucky for us, Craig F confirmed it will be coming back. For whatever reason they had to remove it temporarily

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Lucky for us, Craig F confirmed it will be coming back. For whatever reason they had to remove it temporarily

I'm guessing they redo some apps from scratch (which introduces bugs already fixed before) when leadership changes or they change the user interface. To keep deadlines, some features are pushed to "version 2".

Reactions: nordique

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I'm guessing they redo some apps from scratch (which introduces bugs already fixed before) when leadership changes or they change the user interface. To keep deadlines, some features are pushed to "version 2".

Yeah. I originally thought it had something to do with the OLED panel in the X and how they used 3D touch with that device and perhaps app switcher wasn't possible.

But after they confirmed it's coming back I realised it's likely more in line with what you're saying. A sigh of relief for us 3d touch app switcher fans!

wksj

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2015
I miss Uber's ability to record everything I am doing with Apple's permission.
(Imagine what kind off access Apple is giving to the US government behind closed doors.)

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Landscape keyboard in + models for iOS 11 have reduced functionality compared to iOS 10. All the useful bottons at both sides of the keyboard were removed.

Reactions: theshoehorn

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
I miss Uber's ability to record everything I am doing with Apple's permission.
(Imagine what kind off access Apple is giving to the US government behind closed doors.)
Damn true. Now my phone feels sad because Uber is not tracking and using it’s gps radio 24x7

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Accessing Notification Centre via reachability.
This. I ended up using assistive touch, but having that circle around the screen is annoying. Apple should copy Xiaomi MiUI where they have their circle auto-hide with a thin notch on the side of the screen.

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
For me, a Music app (and associated subsystem) that remembers where you were in a playlist. They broke this in iOS10 and have not fixed it (play anything, then drop out the Music app, go an use a few other apps for an hour or so, go back to Music, hey, it has completely forgotten what you were listening to).

Even my 14 year old iPod Mini can manage that, still.

For someone who uses the Music player a lot, to play playlists of locally stored music (I do not want Apple Music, or Spotify, or any other such crap who want me to pay money to listen to music I have already purchased, thanks!) this is massive nuisance. How difficult can it be, it worked fine up until iOS 10 came out.

The sceptic in me of course, thinks maybe they want to deliberately **** up local music playback to make you pay for Apple Music. Nope.

Reactions: Altis and Beeplance

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
For those who miss the 3D app switcher... Apple has already said that that’s just gone temporarily and will be back. In fact it is back on 11.1 beta 2.

I miss the ability to leave notification center on widgets view and have it stay there...

Ctrix65513

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
One click unsubscribe banner no longer appears in native Mail app for spam or messages from mailing list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.