Feb 2011 MacBook Pro 17" with runaway CPU

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rob.G, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Rob.G macrumors 6502

Rob.G

I just sold this thing on eBay about a little over a week ago. Owned it for a little over a year, purchased from the original owner. It has the 2.2 GHz Core i7 Quad CPU, 16 gig of RAM and Apple SSD.

The entire time I owned it, it worked flawlessly. When I brought it home, I wiped it and installed a fresh copy of Lion, and from there upgraded to Mountain Lion when that came out.

I had planned to wipe and install a fresh copy of ML before shipping it, but the purchaser said don't bother, he was going to change drives around in it anyway. So I just deleted all my stuff, created a generic user account for him, and shipped it off.

He got it, decided to wipe and install fresh ML himself. He said after doing so, the CPU was going nuts. Activity Monitor was showing "kernel task" running at 280-315% at all times. So he went over to the Apple Store to have their so-called Geniuses look at it.

They tried installing from a known good copy of ML, same issue. Swapped out the memory. Issue remained. I haven't heard back about anymore diagnosis, as he left it there for them to continue to investigate. There is no AppleCare left on the unit, but he says they aren't charging for the diagnostics.

He wanted to send it back to me for a refund, but I didn't say returns were an option in my listing, and I don't have the money to give back anyway. I pointed out that the thing was absolutely fine when I shipped it, and this problem has arisen since he started messing with it.

Now, I have no desire to screw the guy. He expected to get a working computer, and I shipped him a working computer. My thinking is the SSD may be going bad. He mentioned that TRIM wasn't enabled; I have no idea if the Apple SSD supports that or not.

So anyway, I'm waiting to see what the Geniuses come up with. I don't have much faith in them; when I suspected trouble with my early 2010 17" MBP a couple years ago, they wanted to replace the motherboard and bluetooth board (even though it wasn't under AppleCare). I said no thanks; discovered later the problems I was having were the result of a bad video cable and a defective mouse. Yet they went straight to the expensive solution rather than actually trying to troubleshoot. I half expect them to want to replace the motherboard AND the SSD.

I was wondering if anybody here has had this kind of problem before? My thinking is it's the SSD going south. But I dunno; it's an educated guess.

Rob

2. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

3. Rob.G thread starter macrumors 6502

Rob.G