feb 2011 vs oct 2011 macbook pro 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Polo2883, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Polo2883 macrumors regular

So I am looking at getting another macbook pro.

I see that macmall is selling the older version feb 2011 with for 1649.99.

Is there a huge difference? I know that processor is slightly upgraded and the video is.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I have been looking at them as well. The $1649 version was the high end last February It has 1GB on the 6750 card were as the current low end 2.2 has 512mb on the card. I think that is about the only difference.

But I wish someone would comment on the Lower spec machine 2.0 for last February,

15" 2.0Ghz 6490 256MB

Per Geek Bench

The 2.0 Early last Feb scores 9280

The current 2.2 scores 9700 That has 512mb video card

The last Feb 2.2 scores 10300 1GB video card

These numbers are rough from memory.

So 9280 score for a NEW Feb 2011 MBA 15" 2.0 $1499,,,,,, Is that a deal or You would be crazy not to step up to the $1649 for the difference?????

4. bill-p macrumors 65816

If battery life and heat are more important to you, nothing of the current generation comes even close to the 15" 2.0 in my opinions. I consistently get 5 - 8 hours of useable on time out of mine and I don't have to fiddle with gfxCardStatus at all.

But $1499 is a bit much in my opinions. I saw one for $1360 something on Apple refurbished.

If you are just looking for more performance, I say it's crazy for you to pass up on $150 for the beefier machine. Not only does it have a faster CPU, the GPU is literally about twice as fast.

5. IngerMan, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I saw that $1360 over the weekend, it disappeared this morning and reappeared later, it's gone again...lol... But with NY taxes takes it to $1477. So I think MacMall does not charge taxes for NY, I may be wrong. But in that case I can get it new for $22 more.

Edit: MacMall does charge NY tax :(

I like the idea of less heat and better battery life. But for $150 more if I get deeper into Video, it would probably be that much better. I am so :confused:

6. bill-p macrumors 65816

Well, if MacMall doesn't charge tax, then yes, I think buy new makes more sense. But if they do, then you can still save about $100 with Apple's refurb.

As far as video editing goes, the task is more CPU-dependent than GPU-dependent, in which case, the improvement going from 2.0GHz to 2.2GHz is slight. Plus if the GPU is in use during video editing, then I think the 2.0GHz would have more breathing room while the 2.2GHz would get throttled very easily as the GPU heats up significantly more. Basically, you're trading off with the 2.2GHz in exchange for faster CPU or GPU performance, but not necessarily both at the same time.

That aside, if you seriously want to edit videos, I'd think you'd want to look at external video decoders/encoders that connect to the Thunderbolt port:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKx-cr4bi74

7. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

Thanks Bill,

I updated my last post for I did find out that MacMall charges NY sales tax. So the bargain was for the refurb. I have purchased a laptop from them before and have no hesitations doing it again.

For my non professional use I think that would be a great first MBP for me. I am just going to wait to see it appear in the refurb store again, soon I hope.

I like the video link you attached. WoW that is cool....

Thank you again for your technical comparison for that model....It makes much more sense to me now.

8. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

That Refurb 15" 2.0 came back last night and I bit :)

I felt I got such a good deal I ordered up Crucial 256GB M4 and 8GB of Ram. Time to break back out the DSLR and Cam Corder, at least that was my excuse to Justify my actions. lol....

9. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

All of the quad core CPUs in the 2011 15" models are almost identical in performance.
    The 6750M (512 or 1024 MB) and 6770M are also almost identical in performance.

The 6490M in the lower early 2011 is significantly less powerful than the 6750M.

Your best bet is to look for any 2011 model that does NOT have the 6490M. The rest will only be split by 5-10% in any and all tasks.

Money would be better spent in extra RAM and maybe a SSD than on +200MHz and some extra VRAM.

10. eswank macrumors 6502

I was in the same problem you are in when I was trying to figure out what I wanted in regards to a 17". I bit on the Feb 2011 model because of the price coming from MacMall.com. I went through AppleInsider.com and clicked on the link they have on their site that led to MacMall and got an extra 3% off the posted price that they have. So in the end I ended up spending $1900. IMO I think that's a great price compared to what Apple has for the same model but as a refurb. Good luck with your search.

11. babyt macrumors regular

babyt

i have the feb 2011 15' base model, upraged it myself to 8gb and love this maching. i run photoshop, fireworks, dreamweaver, illustrator and indesign 6-8 hours a day on this thing and its smooth. [not all at once but 2 or 3 at a time usually]

ive actually suggested the refurb HRantiglare to alot of friends and they love it too. its definately a steal at the refurb price.