February, 2009. 700 MHz gone.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mikebook pro, Feb 1, 2008.

1. mikebook pro macrumors newbie

mikebook pro

Is that correct?

The reason I'm creating this thread is to let the educated teach me and other who are curious on this.

Is it correct that the frequency analog TV signals run on (and have run on) is 700 MHz and in February of next year they will not?

I read in an article of I think MacGeek that the 700 MHz frequency is up for auction and Apple is one if its leading bidders thus far along with... (I forgot but I know it wasn't a cell phone provider) anyway the article said that it could be possible that Apple could have it's own network for cell phones at 700 MHz, although unlikely because it wouldn't meet the data an web hungry needs the thousands of iPhone-ers would want.

But anyway, I digress... After February '09, Only digital TV's will work... Does mean only TV's with antennas will not?

Discuss

2. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I remember a friend of mines telling me that in 2009 you need a digital TV in order to even watch cable.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Broadcast tv will go digital requiring a digital tuner box, should be 40-70 with most every house being able to get two $40 govt coupons to reduce that price.

Analog for cable, sat, etc. won't change and will function as they do today.

---

If you use rabbit ears, this change will affect you.

Edit: You do not need a digital tv, nor spend a lot of money on one.

4. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Thank God, but I still want one...

5. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

I like the change. Not only will tv signals be stronger and better with digital, but it will also give us more data and cell phone frequencies that companies can buy.

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

And the picture quality of over-the-air HD is amazing. Better than cable and satellite HD currently :p. And it's free.

7. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

I know:p!! Finally us non-cable/satellite users will get something. I'll be able to watch TV shows instead of snow.

8. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

agreed. Even in my condo; surrounded by taller skyscrapers and with no line of sight with the broadcast towers, I still get spectacular reception with an antenna(all but one channel). The difference between OTA and HD cable was pretty noticeable for me.

9. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

That's arguable...

In my area, ~30 miles from the station, over-the-air HD isn't near as bright and crisp as what we get through DirecTV.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

True, it depends on how they compress it...

One nice thing about OTA digital is that distance isn't a factor in picture quality. You either get a signal, and get the full picture in all it's glory, or you don't get it at all. Unless you're on the absolute fringe of reception, then it might cut in and out. And digital signal allows for error checking and recovery algorithms to reduce any cut-outs that may be caused by the weather or other factors.

11. Motley macrumors 6502

Most stations are currently running at something like 50% transmit power at night (less during the day) and will only go to full power when they turn off the analog stations. So technically reception should get even better. (My %s could be off, so if someone knows better feel free to correct me)

12. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

AFAIK, most of the stations are running at full power. The only one that isn't is FOX, and they're going full power over the summer. Last I heard that station was running on the power of nine lightbulbs(900 watts)

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Eh, it all depends on your local broadcast stations.