Fed Ex Delivery BS

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Achiever, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

Just an FYI to all who may be ordering any Apple product and waiting for delivery...

I ordered iPods last Tuesday, with delivery expected today (the standard free ground shipping Apple provides through Fed Ex). As I work all day, and thus knew I would not be home to accept delivery of my product, I utilized the pre-delivery signature acceptance option that Apple gives. For those unfamiliar, it is essentially a one page document you print out, sign and leave attached to your front door that allows the Fed Ex delivery person to leave your package as the letter is your signed acceptance.

I just tracked my package online and noticed that the delivery was not able to be completed today as I was not there to sign for the package. I called to follow up and was told that they were no longer using the Apple supplied forms anymore, so even though I had been provided one on my Apple order form, it was no good. Instead, I had to sign whatever sticker they apparently left on my door and they would attempt delivery again tomorrow.

Now one day isn't the end of the world to wait for an iPod, but if you are arranging to deliver all the product for a large, international corporation, wouldn't you think that both companies should be on the same page with the basic delivery acceptance form you are providing? Certainly Apple may be at fault here, too, but Fed Ex seems to be the party to have changed their policy, so I will give them the brunt of my rant.

In any event, any of you waiting for your iPods (or other product) to be delivered should consider yourself so advised. Fed Ex is no longer accepting the pre-delivery acceptance forms Apple provides.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

That is good to know. I recently ordered a new monitor from TigerDirect.com and they require a signature for delivery, so on the day it was out for deivery, I called UPS and had them deliver it to my office. If you don't live in the same town, you can often get UPS or FedEx to divert your package to an alternate address, or they can deliver it to a local UPS Store/FedEx Kinkos/Distribution Center and you can pick it up there. In fact, you can go to your local FedEx or UPS center now to pick it up, before it closes around 7pm.

TEG

3. patcase86 macrumors newbie

Hmm wierd. Where do you live? I just had my MacBook delivered today with the pre-delivery acceptance forms. Also had the same deal with Airport Express and iPod Touch last week with the pre-del. forms. Worked fine for me...

DHL is messed up for me. I have an iPhone 3g dock coming from. It went from Hong Kong to LA and now it's back in Hong Kong! I also have some RAM coming from DHL and it went from a regional delivery center, to a local place in Portland, back up to the regional delivery center in WA! I think they're tracking system is messed up.

4. bender0069 macrumors member

I ordered a referb on Monday and FedEx said it would be delivered on the 11th, when it didn't arrive I called FedEx on the 12th and they said it would be delivered that day, I didn't get it on the 12th or 13th(I know fedex delivers on Sat) or yesterday the 15th. I called FedEx yesterday and they said it would be delivered today. I also called Apple and they said give them today but if I don't get it call back and they will trace the package. Apple was very friendly and also confused as to why I don't don't have my ipod yet. I don't live on the coast, so delivery should not have been affected by the hurricane. I feel your aggravation.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Is there not a tracking number for you to simply enter into the website. I track my packages closely, and I've found FedEx to be the worst at keeping it updated. Usually it will say shipped for 4 days, then on the day it is to be delivered, it will say "out for delivery" with all the stops it made in between.

TEG

6. redsoxunixgeek macrumors regular

redsoxunixgeek

Thats why I ship everything to my office - it is amazing i get any work done at all...

7. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Your local driver is a retard

8. Achiever thread starter macrumors 6502

Achiever

Outisde of NYC. Hardly a place unaccustomed to Fed Ex deliveries.
    Yeah, but I wanted it ASAP, and in case of a Saturday delivery...

Agreed. This update should support that claim. When I realized yesterday that they had not delivered it, the Fed Ex customer support rep told me that the driver left a Fed Ex delivery slip on the door, and I should just sign it and leave that on my door for when delivery is attempted again today. When I went home last night, nothing was on my door but the original Apple supplied acceptance form that I had left on there in the morning!! Nothing new from Fed Ex.

I called back and explained the situation to another customer service rep who seemed surprised that a slip hadn't been left on the door. He put me on hold, then came back and told me that I could search the Fed Ex website for a "Release of Liability" form, print it out, sign it and that should suffice for the next day's delivery attempt. I searched every nook and cranny of the site for 15 minutes. No such form exists.

So I called Fed Ex for the 3rd time that day. Got yet another rep who again apologized for the inconvenience (side note: I do have to give Fed Ex some props for this, all of the customer service reps I dealt with were very very pleasant, polite, accommodating and apologized profusely for my being put out. Except for the consistently bad information, they were a pleasure to deal with.), told me that he has never even HEARD of a Release of Liability form and put me on hold so he could call the Ground Shipping location where my delivery was sitting. They were closed, but he put a detailed note of my travails in the system and suggested I hand write a brief authorization and explanatory letter and leave that on the door tomorrow (today) in the hopes that that will suffice. I mentioned that no Fed Ex delivery tag had been left so hopefully they will accept the letter in lieu of their official tag. I will advise of whatever happens.

FWIW, none of the two reps I spoke with last evening ever disputed the afternoon reps claim that they were no longer utilizing the Apple supplied signature authorization forms. That doesn't definitively mean that they are not, but no one contradicted the first service rep's claim.

9. Achiever thread starter macrumors 6502

Achiever

Just to close this rant, delivery was completed yesterday. That's right, while Fed Ex would not accept the Apple supplied official pre-delivery signature document accepting my iPod delivery, a brief, handwritten note on loose-leaf paper apparently sufficed. I can't figure it out....

Rant closed.