FEd ex plane crashes

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mousemd, Mar 23, 2009.

1. mousemd macrumors member

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Funny, when a freight plane crashes the last thing I think about is what was on it.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It had all of the xMacs onboard, and they were going to be a surprise release for tomorrow.

When SJ got word of these behind-his-back dealings, he ordered the plane to crash.

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Why didn't the plane go around after that bad of a bounce? Something must be up because no way the pilots would go nose down like that. Probably came in fast( causing the bounce), but then the high pitch up on the bounce drained all the speed of the plane causing it to go nose down.

Hopefully, the data recorder will hopefully show us that the pilots tried to increase power but was too slow to recover which resulted in another error( whatever caused the plane to list to the left).

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Are freight planes going to be the new freight elevators for piss poor spy shots of new Apple products?

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

From what I understand of it so far, wind shear forced the plane down too hard right before landing ... might you be thinking of the other plane crash that killed 14?

7. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

No. I know wind is a factor( we don't know yet what kind of wind shear it is. Did it have a vertical component that would force it down that hard?), but speed could also be as that is also a factor when a plane bounces( I have done it plenty of times here at Riddle). Frankly, after that first hard bounce I would have gone around. Like I said hopefully the data recorder will show something of an attempt to go around( engines powering up), but was too slow and the plane nose dived( also like I said the pilots wouldn't pitch the nose down like that, but the video quality isn't that great so I can't see the elevator action of seeing what the pilots were doing) into the second bounced and then listed to the left.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I saw a video, but your description sounded more like the smaller passenger plane that crashed and killed 14. It supposedly listed far left after stalling on final ...

9. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Looking at the video again, he was probably going a bit slow as the plane almost immediately nose dived after the first bounce. The left main landing gear could also have collapsed as it went to the left as soon as the mains touched down after that second touchdown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omgazSExHtM

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Attached Files:

11. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

...wow.

Two people die and all you seem to care about is some computer systems?

I totally agree with rDowns picture.

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Kinda was I was thinking - I'm a little bit surprised.

Watching the video was a little freaky. It's easy to lose sight of just how big an MD-11 is (not too much smaller than a 747), so when you see it bouncing and nosing back down, you don't necessarily realize at first just how big a jump and pitch that was. I'm not a pilot, but I'm guessing it was pretty easy to lose whatever control you had of the plane at that time.

My condolences to the families.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think the OP was joking.

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I think I need to quit posting on this thread. Sad to hear about the plane crash....:(

15. phuong macrumors 6502a

what is wrong with people?
    no body seems to care if there's any injuries?
    the first thing comes to your mind is how many macs were gone?
    that's sad

16. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

No **** :rolleyes:

The computer can be replaced....

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It is just sad that people seem to think that stuff trumps the lives of others. It is just stuff and it can be replaced. Sure, it sucks in the end but so does dying. So does losing your loved ones. So does wondering whether or not the people who died had families and what they could do. People go to work every day and probably never give another thought about whether or not they'll come home that night. Sure, we think about that with cops and firefighters ... military service men and women ... but not so much FedEx or just your basic run-o-the-mill jobs. And in the end, the basis of this thread started as "OMGWTFBBQ MY COMPUTERZ". Who the hell cares about the computers? It's not like Apple wouldn't send a replacement rapidly.

*climbs off soapbox*

18. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I, for one, have dealt with enough death in my life to automatically think of the families (and I'd like to leave it at that) ... and in this case, although my thoughts are with them, didn't feel the need to post my condolences here - where the chances are pretty slim that they will be read, or meaningful, to the victims' families.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

This just makes me think of the money Cast Away.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't know about you guys, but I still believe that the OP was just joking, trying to lighten up a sad story......

21. Michael Belisle macrumors member

At least one Macbook was on there, ordered by a buddy of mine a few offices down.

For the curious, the tracking status says "Exception - Beyond Our Control" and Apple sent him an email saying that his order had been "damaged" in transit. They've already sending a new one out to him.

And yes, it's tragic. But the wheels of business still churn, so it's legitimate to also wonder what happens to the packages.

22. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I imagine most of these packages, in particular the expensive ones like Macs, are insured. Not that it necessarily makes it easier for the vendors and FedEx to deal with the "little" things like replacing packages damaged in transit when you know two people died in the same event.

23. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Am I the only one who thought of the Tom Hanks film Cast Away when they saw this thread title?

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Seriously doubtful. ;)

25. ChrisA macrumors G4

You are correct.

But why is there a thread here about two people getting killed in an accident? I think every year something like 14,000 people are kill in car accidents. Many people die every day but
    no threads here and no CNN story.

But if the accident involves and airplane it makes the news. If the pilots were driving home and ran their car into a tree and were killed, no news story.

Apparently "stuff" matters more than people. At least he that "stuff" is something big like an MD11

OK, one more theory. I think it more like "pictures metter more than people". This made the news because there was a video. Had there not been some video it would never have made the news.