F'ed up Data Doubler installation!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacsAreBetter\, May 9, 2011.

1. MacsAreBetter\ macrumors member

MacsAreBetter\

I got to the part where you lift the black plastic connector out, to take out the optical drive, and the screw near the triangle.. it was either a faulty screw Apple put in, or I f'ed it up!

What to do now?! I've tried a collection of screwdrivers and none seem to remove it! I mean, going to an Apple store saying 'Hey, you gave me a faulty screw which I'm not supposed to use' is not really reasonable.

Thanks in advance, stressing out.
    - Mike

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You probably need to get the proper size "screw extractor" from your local hardware store. Then replace the one you take out with a standard screw.

3. johnnj macrumors 6502a

So what happened, you mashed the screw head? They may have gone a little overboard with the locktite in the factory and made it hard to unscrew with the correct driver.

These screws are pretty soft, so try using a very very small flathead screwdriver, less that the size of the lateral width of the philips head, and put some weight on the rotating disk at the top of the driver as you start to turn very slowly. You should be able to free it up and get it out of there.

4. dslrjunky macrumors regular

when i changed my stock drive i found out that it they dont use regular screws but rather a torx or some kind, it was like 12am so best that i found was my leatherman utility tool and used a pair of pliers and unscrewed it manually..

5. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

My 17" has one such non-cooperative screw that holds the 5400 RPM disk drive - it has its head blunted from my attempts to remove - it doesn't move a bit and I have long history of tearing Macs apart. I gave up on replacing the disk drive and instead got rid of optical drive to add a SSD.

Any one care to give some detailed info on the screw extractors mentioned in above post? Back of my mind I am always worried that whenever it comes time to replace the disk - I may not be able to do so. Oh and I would need a replacement screw - damn you Apple, just QA your machines good to ensure all screws are removable.

6. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I know this is too little too late. Wiha precision screwdrivers are the ONLY ones that fit these MacBook screws. They fit precisely with no movement once engaged.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NZ5QGK

7. dslrjunky macrumors regular

8. altecXP macrumors 65816

Those are standard size screwdrivers.. nothing special about them.

You need to use a T6 to remove the optical drive. If you tried with a philips then it's just you not watching what you are doing.

9. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

the screws are similar to japanese phillips. If you have mucked about in japanese cameras or elctronics you might know what I mean. They are shallower and narrower than the equivalent sized US screw. So you alway shave to go a size down, which increases the possibility of stripping.
    I have a set of Japanese screwdrivers that a relative bought me in Tokyo as a gift. They fit perfectly.
    In the OP case I wuold agree that a flat head is your option. I do not know of a screw extractor that small. If you have to drill it out be very meticulous about cleaning up metal shavings. I often mask of the area with masking tape if I have to go so far.

10. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

You've obviously not replaced an optical drive on a 2011. They are not T6, the only T6 are on the HD. The screws holding down the optical drive are 00 Phillips and it is not standardized.

11. terzinator macrumors 6502

According to OWC's video on doing the data-doubler install, the narrator says "in most cases, the optical drive is held in place using phillips screws, but in this particular instance, it's held in place with Torx T6 screws."

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro_15_unibody_early11_dd_h/

So, um... there.

12. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Well, here are actual pictures of a 2011 teardown from ifixit. Refer to pictures 6 and 8, you'll see clearly Apple uses phillips screws and not torx to hold the speaker/wireless assembly in place. On picture 8 you can see the edge of the optical drive and the tab that's being secured by again, a phillips. Of the 3 2011 MBP's (13") I've done, not one has had torx screws on the superdrive or wireless assembly. I can't imagine the 15" is much different.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Unibody-Early-2011-Teardown/4990/1

13. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

Ditto, I have only seen torx on the hardrives in MBPs.
    Maybe if an employee at Foxconn was having a bad day they might vent by using the wrong screw?

14. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i remember i had a little dificulty when changing my hdd and doin the optibay mod..

i followed the OWC video to the T and luckily in my 17" CTO Late April Machine was exactly the same layout as the OWC vid. i remember using the torx T6 for changing the HDD as well as the phillips #00 - i did have to hot/swap btwn the torx and phillips screws when dis-mounting the blutooth module/speaker at the front of the superdrive - this just need the a gently life to clear things covering it and gently angling the phillips 00 screwdriver in to unscrew - similar thing for the screw by the fan.

15. JayMBP macrumors regular

I had one Wiha 00 Phillips screw driver and a T6. T6 was used on taking the HDD screws off. And then the rest are all 00. This is on the case of 17" 2011 MBP.

Worked out perfectly

16. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

I have a 2011 15" and when I replaced my optical drive with the data doubler some of the screws holding in the optical drive were torx not phillips. I used both phillips and torx drivers [and my trusty flashlight to identify each screw before removal] and had no issues at all, took all of 5 minutes to swap it out. This really isn't rocket science people - this is what happens when you don't let natural selection run its course....

17. MacsAreBetter\ thread starter macrumors member

MacsAreBetter\

So would Apple replace it? There's a possibility it was f'ed up in the factory, right? Nonetheless, thanks guys, I'll try out what you suggested.

18. emfsfo macrumors newbie

Any update? I was attempting to install my Data Doubler and have a stripped screw in what I think is the same location.

Attached Files:

19. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I don't think missing a screw in that position would cause you any problems whatsoever. I'd just leave it out. If you take it to Apple for repair for something down the road a bit, if they notice it's missing, they'll probably just put a new one in there. I wouldn't bring it to Apple and ask for a new screw though. I don't think that's necessary at all, and I don't think it's anything you need to worry about.

20. emfsfo macrumors newbie

Hopefully I can get it out first ;)

Has anyone had any luck with screw extractors? I did a quick search but I'm not sure if there is one small enough for the job.

21. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

I was hoping someone will try out the iFixit Screw Extractor :)

I guess I will give it a shot this weekend - although I am totally not sure how the iFixit extractor works and what are its chances - I don't have a totally stripped screw - just a one with screwed up wedges.

22. emfsfo macrumors newbie

I went ahead and ordered this set from amazon. I'm a little skeptical since the stubborn screw never budged in the first place. I'm assuming there was too much threadlocking adhesive applied in the factory.

If I'm unsuccessful, I'm curious what's going to go down if I ever have to go in for a warranty service and they see a massively stripped screw.

23. adrian1480 macrumors 6502

Pro-Tip: Stop using $5 tool kits on your expensive stuff. They're cheap for a reason.

I highly recommend Craftsman tools. They are shaped better (you won't strip screws), have magnetic tips and bigger grips to turn with.

Using cheap tools is a sure-fire way to scratch your case, strip screws, or lose screws (falling into the case under the mobo or something).

24. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

lol @ admonishing them for buying cheap tools and then recommending Craftsman! :eek:

25. altecXP macrumors 65816

You obviously haven't read my sig.