Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
I have just about had it. Today, my .Mac account expired. With no notice, no warning at all!

Nevermind that I have the email address for nearly 3 years. I am between paychecks, and don't have 99 bucks for an address. So, needless to say, I am pissed. I would have had no problem keeping .Mac for another year, even though I am on a PC now. Because I know I will come Backtothemac. So, screw em, their policies, and their lack of customer support :mad:

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
hmmm. mine expired today as well, but I've known it was coming for a while now. Any time I checked my mail thru the web interface it told me upon logging out. I also believe I received at least one email about it, Sorry it came all of the sudden to you.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Fed up with Apple!

Originally posted by Backtothemac
I have just about had it. Today, my .Mac account expired. With no notice, no warning at all!

Nevermind that I have the email address for nearly 3 years. I am between paychecks, and don't have 99 bucks for an address. So, needless to say, I am pissed. I would have had no problem keeping .Mac for another year, even though I am on a PC now. Because I know I will come Backtothemac. So, screw em, their policies, and their lack of customer support :mad:
they charge it to your credit card anyways, so does it really matter if dont have the cash right now??

iJon

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Re: Re: Fed up with Apple!

Originally posted by iJon
they charge it to your credit card anyways, so does it really matter if dont have the cash right now??

iJon

thats kind of irresponsible.....and its never good to charge things you can't afford.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Re: Re: Fed up with Apple!

iJon

Accept that I don't have a credit card. Just a debit card. Man, I am really pissed. I just called Apple and said thanks for the warning. The guy on the phone was a complete ass!

"Mr. Stacey, it is not our responsiblity to keep track of your responsibilities."

Yea, that is nice. :mad:

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Sorry to say it, but the Apple rep was right.

If you havent been paying your bills, then you dont get the service. You dont have a right to complain when your electricity turns off because you didnt pay your AEP bill, do you? How is this any different?

Just pay your bills on time and this wont happen. You cant expect free service, can you?

And if it was a warning you wanted, remember that a warning is a courtesy, not a necessity.

bwawn

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
I will admit, if they didn't send an email to your .Mac account warning you that your account was expiring, that's pretty bad. There are plenty of people who use .Mac and never visit http://www.mac.com.

But there is a ticker on http://www.mac.com, when you're logged in, that informs you how many days you have left until your account expires. That's MORE than Apple needs to provide to you. It's really essentially your responsibility, and yours only, to know when your email account is going to go kaput. Blaming Apple because your year-long subscription was up and you didn't realize it was here already seems more like a vent of frustration for your own actions.

I'm sorry if this post seems negative. It's not meant to be that way; I'm sure you're a completely responsible person.

By the way, why has your .Mac account expired already? http://www.mac.com tells me that I have 42 days left on my account, and I paid the $50 to keep my account up last year, and I would assume all that did the same would also have 42 days left.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Originally posted by agreenster

If you havent been paying your bills, then you dont get the service. You dont have a right to complain when your electricity turns off because you didnt pay your AEP bill, do you? How is this any different?

Just pay your bills on time and this wont happen. You cant expect free service, can you?

And if it was a warning you wanted, remember that a warning is a courtesy, not a necessity.

Sorry, but no, you are wrong. I do pay my bills, and paid for .Mac, AFTER they said that iTools was free. Had Apple sent a warning, or a reminder you should say, that it would have allowed me to make a difference.

THEY have an obligation to me as a customer to be thoughtful enough to call. They should have, and they are wrong for their attitude. Every company out there will send a bill before payment is due.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Originally posted by bwawn
I will admit, if they didn't send an email to your .Mac account warning you that your account was expiring, that's pretty bad. There are plenty of people who use .Mac and never visit http://www.mac.com.

But there is a ticker on http://www.mac.com, when you're logged in, that informs you how many days you have left until your account expires. That's MORE than Apple needs to provide to you. It's really essentially your responsibility, and yours only, to know when your email account is going to go kaput. Blaming Apple because your year-long subscription was up and you didn't realize it was here already seems more like a vent of frustration for your own actions.

I'm sorry if this post seems negative. It's not meant to be that way; I'm sure you're a completely responsible person.

By the way, why has your .Mac account expired already? http://www.mac.com tells me that I have 42 days left on my account, and I paid the $50 to keep my account up last year, and I would assume all that did the same would also have 42 days left.

I have no idea. It doesn't seem possible really, but evidently it is. As for going to .Mac on Apple's site, I never go there. I use the mail over Outlook, or Entoruage, so I don't have a need to check it remotely. They really have pissed me off over this and my Cinema Display.

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
[...] AFTER they said that iTools was free. [...]

I agree that it was bad form on Apple's part to not send you any notification. But complaining about the iTools/.mac issue is SO LAME and so old. Get over that -- it costs money to provide the e-mail services that they provided for free for 2 years.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Dont really know what to say.

Can't you just pay the 99 bucks and get everything back? Would that solve the problem, or can you no longer use any of the email addresses anymore?

If its just the matter of 99 bucks, then pay it. If you just dont feel like paying it (or cant afford it) then that is your problem, not Apple's.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i think he would lose any info in his idisk or mailboxes... could be wrong tho...

i agree it sucks, for the most part they've always seemed good about warning people, but they're definitely not known for consistency, so who knows...

this is a service that warrants actual snail mail warning-- like when a magazine runs out, keeping in mind that a subscription costs like $25, they send you half a dozen letters... and for a $99 service, they can't send one?

hope it didn't screw you too bad... i know how big of a pain it can be to suddenly lose an essential, old email address... you can't remember a tenth of the people that know you there...

pnw

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
stop whining, they keep your info and when you get the money you can renew it and maybe your card is different, but i have a visa debit card from my bank and it acts just like a credit card. maybe you should visit the .mac page every now and then its says in big letters on mine "7 days left." but i have an idea for you, when you get your new copy open ical and mark it, and have it display and warn you every way it can in 1 year.

iJon

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
When I got this I got iTools, iTools kicked.

Then when they said iTools becomes .Mac they said I had so and so days before my stuff became trash because my dad wasn't going to renew.

It was sad, but oh well.

They did send notification to my 2 e-Mail addresses.

:confused:

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
stop whining, they keep your info and when you get the money you can renew it and maybe your card is different, but i have a visa debit card from my bank and it acts just like a credit card. maybe you should visit the .mac page every now and then its says in big letters on mine "7 days left." but i have an idea for you, when you get your new copy open ical and mark it, and have it display and warn you every way it can in 1 year.

iJon

?! Can you take a screenshot of this? I've always had to go into my account section before it tells me the day that my account expires. It certainly doesn't say "7 days left" in big letters on the .mac page for me.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by simX
?! Can you take a screenshot of this? I've always had to go into my account section before it tells me the day that my account expires. It certainly doesn't say "7 days left" in big letters on the .mac page for me.
here you go, i had to go to my old .mac account for this, i have since renewed this and made a new name, so i guess i have 2 .mac accounts left for the next 7 days.

iJon

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
here you go, i had to go to my old .mac account for this, i have since renewed this and made a new name, so i guess i have 2 .mac accounts left for the next 7 days.

iJon

Hmm, maybe it only shows up when you have a certain number of days left on your .mac account -- and that won't happen to my account for a while.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by agreenster

-agreenster

I agree on the warning courtest thing, howver it is become a GAAP thing and most periodic customers are used to receiving a bill. Not to sat that this is Apple's fault by any stretch, but they are the kings of useability - you think the'd make getting paid easier on themselves.

-Backtothemac

They do hold on to your data for "no less than 30 days" in case you wish to renew.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Originally posted by patrick0brien

Backtothemac

They do hold on to your data for "no less than 30 days" in case you wish to renew.

Well, I would have, but an Apple rep this morning flat out called me a liar, and hung up on me. So, that's it. I need arn to change my name now.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Well, I would have, but an Apple rep this morning flat out called me a liar, and hung up on me. So, that's it. I need arn to change my name now.

That is flat out outrageous! What happened here??? This guy was seriously an Apple REP???? REP-ulsive, is more like it :rolleyes:

But hey, don't let this one guy let you change your name from Backtothemac to something sinister like: BackagaintotheworstcasescenarioPC....

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina

That's just wrong. No company should have that kind of person representing them to the public. What happened to 'the customer is always right'? The least they could have done is to appologize for any inconvenience they might have caused by closing down your account. Whether they warned you about it or not, there's no need to hang up on a potential customer. Perhaps you just ran into someone having a bad day?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Damn, that blows B2TM. Just curious, were you this pissed off when you called Apple? Did the rep flat out call you a liar or did he/she imply that your perception of the events that happend wasn't exactly what happend? I'm not trying to defend the rep or anyting if he/she truly was rude, but I've been in customer service for 8 years so I'm very familiar w/both sides of the fence. Both sparkleytone and iJon said they recieved notice and maybe you did too but it got over looked. A similair thing happend w/my hosting company. I unknowingly deleted the e-mail saying that my domain name was going to expire. So one day I went to my site and it wasn't there anymore. After a few days I was like WTF and e-mailed the company. When I got the reply back saying they sent a notice and I failed to renew I was like "d'oh" and sheepishly renewed my domain name. Enough about me...

Hope you didn't lose anything important B2TM when yer .Mac closed.

Lethal

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago

HORRIBLE!!!!

I HATE, HATE, HATE bad customer service reps. Did you happen to get his employee ID number?? I always ask reps their employee ID number before talking to them. Then, if they turn out to be a complete a**hole, I call back and ask for a supervisor.

The problem is that there are a *lot* of jerks out there. They work everywhere: Restaurants, service centers, the gas station...you can't avoid them. The best thing you can do is to put up with them as best as possible, then ask to speak with a manager.

Don't give up on Apple over this. He's just a bad apple in a good organization.

Taft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.