Fed up with iPhoto....need something else.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KettyKrueger, Dec 9, 2010.

1. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Hi all,

Here's the deal, I want to move all my data over to my NAS (Qnap TS-210). I can't do that with iPhoto. Further to this, I'm getting fed up with iPhoto, old new - I don't like the way it organises files. yes I know you sure leave iPhoto to structure the photos but I guess I'm more of a control freak than I thought.

Picasa is a little better and solves the NAS issue but Picasa also comes with it's own problems, such as dubious Google Updater Software. In the past Picasa has worked well but not without bugs and I'm not prepare to risk losing my photos.

What else is out there? Aperture uses the same photo structure as iPhoto, Lightroom is expensive and slightly overkill for my needs.

Anything else?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

and just use Finder to view my files?

How about edits and geotagging?

4. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

Has anyone here tried Jalbum?

I've thought about taking it for a spin. Haven't gotten around to it yet.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If that's what you want, then sure. However, I am certain that miles01110 was asking you about manually organizing the files that you view and edit with iPhoto.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Or use Preview. Not sure about geotagging because it's creepy, but I'm sure there's some 3rd party utility you can find to do what you want.

7. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

For anyone thinking of using Picasa; READ THE LICENSING AGREEMENT VERY CAREFULLY. If you read it carefully you are giving google the rights to any and all of your images.

Some people may say that Google wouldn't do that, but do you want to risk them doing it? They can, they have the rights to.

Sorry for the slightly tangental rant, but I just want people to know what they are getting into.

8. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

iPhoto will let you keep photos anywhere and organized any way you want. Just go to preferences - Advanced, and uncheck "Copy items into the iPhoto Library". You can do the same thing in Aperture by using "referenced" images. I use both of these programs that way because I don't want any program to manage my photo organization.

Note that with these programs, if you reorganize you basically need to reimport, but that may be acceptable to you. Aperture allows relocation, but I've found it tedious for anything but simply moving the entire photo collection.

The last (but not current) version of Photoshop Express comes with Bridge which will manage files with your file organization. Full Photoshop also comes with Bridge, but is, of course, very expensive.