Fed up with Manual Reboots

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jleffell, Sep 20, 2009.

1. jleffell macrumors member

I have found that I need to reboot my MP on average once a day because it freezes - usually when time machine is going.

Firefox or Safari will crash and I will force quit and then the dock will freeze and I need to manually reboot. This is very frustrating - any ideas as to why this is happening? I think it has picked up since Snow Leopard.

This is my first Mac - I thought Macs were supposed to be stable?

2. matthewtoney macrumors regular

matthewtoney

Did you do a clean install when you went to Snow Leopard or do an upgrade? I'm running SL here on my 2009 Pro and on my 2008 Macbook Pro and I'm just not seeing those same issues. What kind of drive (and how do you have it hooked up) are you using for Time Machine?

3. jleffell thread starter macrumors member

4. Abidubi macrumors 6502

This may not be your problem, but I was getting the occasional freeze when time machine was backing up and sometimes on shutdown after upgrading to snow leopard. Turned out to be my samsung F2 1.5TB drive. But... there is nothing wrong with the drive. The problem is that when the HD would go to sleep, it would not wake up again. If I were to look in disk utility it would not show up after it slept for a while. If I click on it to browse the files after it started sleeping, the finder would lock up and would never get anywhere with the HD no matter how long I waited. Shutting down would freeze with the mouse free and the desktop background showing, but nothing else displayed. If I clicked on time machine after it slept or time machine tried to back up, it would also freeze. I could, however continue surfing the web or opening new programs because it was on my other HDs.

I solved the problem by turning off the "sleep HDs when possible" option, and thats how I prefer it anyway. In windows there is no problem with sleeping the HD, so it is an OSX snow leopard driver bug... however, I have not gone back to leopard to test if it still happens there. I have 3 WD drives that seem to sleep and wakeup just fine, it's only the samsung drive that gives me trouble.

You can try that (may not be your problem)... but try resetting the PRAM too.

5. jleffell thread starter macrumors member

I just set the Hard drive not to sleep and hopefully that will work.

Thanks.