Fed up with missed call texts...anyone else experiencing this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drkash, Jul 8, 2011.

1. drkash macrumors regular

I've had my ip4 since launch, on the Orange UK network. Version 4.3.3, Firmware 04.10.01.

I'm getting fed up by the recurrent missed call text messgaes that I get when I definately have reception - I can be using my ip4, can see full reception, then the person trying to call me goes straight to my voicemail and I receive the "you have a missed call" text message.

This happens at least once or twice daily and 3 times in half an hour today. It has always been like this. Does anyone else have this problem? Is it a network or hardware problem? Is there any point in taking it to a genius before my warranty expires in a few weeks?

Thanks for any help

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Network

Nope.

Try Reseting your Network.

Settings> General> Reset> Reset Network Settings

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I will politely disagree with saving107 :) and say make the appointment. It can't hurt to get a free checkup especially near the end of your warranty.

As saving107 said it does sound like a network issue. Without more details you might be in problematic areas. But that assumes it works in other places... In front of my office building the wifey's phone shows good signal but she cannot make or receive calls so she texts me. If you can get someone to reproduce the issue on their phone it's a more compelling argument for the carrier. Even when I supported mobile devices for our company and had enterprise support, AT&T's mindset was one phone with a problem is your problem, but two phones *might* be an AT&T problem. ;)

Good luck!

4. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

Sounds like a bad SIM to me... How old is yours?

5. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I get it also, give the Orange iPhone team a ring, they can stop it for you. :)

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

If the fones unlocked then try a friends or colleagues sim card in the fone and test it out for a day or so to see if the problem continues.

Im more prone to concur with the issue being with the network.

7. drkash thread starter macrumors regular

Will try that

Just less than 1 year...came with the phone

Will try that

No its not unlocked

Will try that if the above fails

Thanks

8. azk macrumors newbie

Just thought I'd add my story to the post, this happens to me all the time.
    My friends get quite annoyed as they always think my phone's off, but it's not, it just goes straight to voicemail yet I have signal. And then 2 minutes later I get a missed call text and have to ring them back. Very annoying. Will try and ring orange about it when I can. Hope they can help. I'm using an iPhone 4, had it since last year.

9. azk macrumors newbie

If I'm honest, I think it's just the orange network. This and other little niggles I've had with them over the past few years is making me thinking of changing network providers when my contract is up.

10. andy2141 macrumors 6502

Do you have a 3G connection when the problem happens?

I think if you're only on GPRS or Edge and have push email setup then the phone will divert to voicemail if the device happens to be sending and receiving data at the moment the call/sms comes in.

Try turning off push mail if set for a day or so and see what happens.

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

This will happen if you are on any 2G network with any form of data connection active.

2G networks are unable to carry a voice call and data at the same time. If your phone is connected to the data network then any voice calls will be sent to voicemail (or as with the OP you'll get a missed call notification).

Some 2G networks are able to interrupt the data call to tell the user that a phone call is incoming - but this requires expensive equipment that most carriers will not invest in due to the age of 2G networks.

A device with an "always on" connection like the iPhone will experience this problem quite regularly if you only have 2G coverage.