Federal court strikes down FCC net neutrality rules

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by RVijay007, Jan 14, 2014.

1. RVijay007 macrumors member

2. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

The FCC will likely move to reclassify ISPs under the current telecom regulations, after which the ISPs (and their lobbyists) will go nuts.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't think this is the end of net neutrality just that it has to be reformed. The judge didn't shoot down the idea just the implementation.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

And this thread will eventually go to PRSI.

;)

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Lets try to avoid that, since the OP does not have 100 posts, so he does not have access to the PRSI

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Reclassifying as a utility solves this problem, but good luck getting that by the lobbyists.

8. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

This is clearly a victory for the free market and America's struggling mega corps, finally they get a real say in this country

/s

But really, lets hope the FCC can move to reclassify ISPs as any other telecom, this is mostly a grab by lobbyists to true to stop the approaching flood of Youtube and Netflix like services that will most likely start cutting the cord to the cable box.

9. Sure, Not macrumors newbie

Don't you know who the head of the FCC is?

10. DocNYz macrumors 6502a

DocNYz

Seriously guys, this is a HUGE issue and REALLY needs to be front page news ...

This could be the end of the internet as we know it.

And I am a complete free market capitalist. This, however, only benefits the few ISP monopolies we have in America. They will overcharge and over sensor both the consumer and the corporations alike making it a lose-lose for everyone except a handful of horrible quality providers that almost everyone is forced to use with no choice between them.

And this being a Mac site, LTE on the current gen iOS devices is often an order of magnitude or more faster than most non-fiber options that the vast majority of the country has to deal with. Even in big cities most buildings force you to get some horrific ******** like TWC.

Run by these people: http://bgr.com/2013/03/01/time-warner-cable-criticism-353827/

11. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

Not the best source of information, but on a comment section (on the verge I think), I read that the head of the FCC was a past exec at a wireless or cable company. That would make a little more sense.

Either way this ruling is bad.

12. iizmoo macrumors 6502

This is overblown. Any concept can only be an issue if it's universally accepted. This is strictly an American issue, not global to the Intertubes in anyway shape or form. If it's not universal, it can't stop or affect the internet in any functionally critically damaging ways.

Net neutrality was only partially effective anyway, you do get to choose your bandwidth from the server loop back to the client, and for those of you who know how bandwidth and peering agreeements works to shape traffic, you know that already has a significant impact on performance.

The only loop this really affect is the local loop, which are answerable to the local franchise boards, as well as consummer outrages if they actually shape traffic in a negative way.

I see the end of Net Neutrality as a huge boost to SMB that can now choose premium bandwidth for their servers to give visitors a much better service experience. It may also help on security from massive online attacks, which right now the peering carriers are legally forbidden from discriminating against...

If you look closely, most of the rest of the world do not have Net Neutrality, or any law as silly as the way it's written up, and their Intertubes are still filled with LOLCATS just fine.

13. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I am really curious as how this whole thing evolves. Hopefully there will be a better future to all of us.
    God bless the internet.

14. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

As long as this bit is true, I'm not seeing any issues. I don't think our country even has a net neutrality law.