FedEx almost lost my MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by m3kilpat, Jul 31, 2009.

1. m3kilpat macrumors regular

Here is the story, which is the complaint I wrote to FedEx:

I was looking at my tracking and it originally said that shipment was estimated for Thursday. The next day it said Friday. The day after that (now Thursday) it said it had been shipped and was signed by ".KENNEDY" I looked around both the front and side doors and the item was not there and there was no Kennedy in the area. I called FedEx and told them. They apologized and said it was misdelivered and they would send a driver to pick it up and redeliver it that day. They also said they would keep me informed via phone and also put in a note for me to have the driver go to the side door because that is where the doorbell is. The package was never redelivered nor was I informed of anything. I had to call again to find out the package was back at FedEx but the driver "didn't have time" to redeliver it but would the next day. Today (Friday) it was delivered to the correct address, but I found it sitting by the front door. The driver did not go to the side door AND worst of all just left it outside on the front step unattended when a signature was required. I don't care that it was signed previously because it was by some unknown person at the wrong address. The item is worth $1800 and could have easily been stolen. Luckily I got the package and it wasn't stolen in all of this mess, but this still makes me very upset.

On top of that, the tracking said it was delivered to the correct address which was in MA. They delivered it to NH. AND someone was home today when they just left it. The fact is they allowed it to be stolen twice. I'm sure other people have had bad experiences and normally I wouldn't care, but when it's something that costs so much it makes me furious.

So as a word of caution, keep on top of things when ordering anything with FedEx.

2. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Ya...it can be a hassle. Had same problem with UPS. I had to go file a police report to 'prove' that the item was stolen. Otherwise, I was going to be stuck paying the retailer I bought it ffrom for the stolen item (once they give it to UPS they consider it shipped, and UPS considered it delivered even though it wasn't signed for, just left on my front porch area in the EVENING!) I had to call back and forth several times till I finally got satisfaction.

3. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

That's always been my main gripe about the Apple online store. These things have to make a pretty long trip to get to you when they could stock some at a warehouse in the US and ship from there with more control of the product. Then UPS and FedEx have this dump and run idea with all the packages and who knows who will pick it up. I sure am happy to have a Apple store in my town and just go there instead of having stuff shipped.

4. m3kilpat thread starter macrumors regular

Yea well I would have gone to a store, which is close by, but you can't buy a mac with any upgrades there, only the base models. I find this pretty dumb and forced me to have to buy online, deal with all this hassle, and also have to pay tax because I could not just buy it at the store in NH. At least it arrived safely now.

5. dal20402 macrumors 6502

The cost of tax plus third-party upgrades is probably less than the cost of Apple upgrades in most cases. Buy the base model from a store, upgrade it yourself (which involves shipping much less valuable and conspicuous goods), and sell the old parts on barfbay.

6. AMessy macrumors member

Back when I was in college UPS left an iMac at my duplex neighbors front door. I know it was an iMac because it wasn't even in a brown box. Whoever sent it just slapped a shipping label on the iMac box.

I was in the driveway messing with one of my RC cars so I kept an eye on it until she got home, but I still couldn't believe that they did that. Anyone driving or walking by knew exactly what was just sitting on their porch.

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

Or, move to a town so small FedEx contracts delivery to a local fellow. He has held shipments for me, when he thinks I'm away. He has called me at home in the evening to make sure I got my shipment left at the back screen door, behind a gate and a fence. I follow the tracking, and once its left the depot near here.... I never worry. Its then in good hands. Thanks Rick! :D :D :D