FedEx and indirect signature

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by annk, Jul 9, 2009.

1. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

A package that was not supposed to be shipped until the end of the month got shipped yesterday, meaning it will get to my folk's house before I do (we're going to be visiting). This is a bummer because my mom's got enough on her plate right now (out of the house almost all day taking care of my dad at a nursing home :(), and I told her I would handle this in such a way that she didn't need to think about it.

Reading up on the FedEx mail notification I got, it says the delivery person will accept an indirect signature for this package. Which it seems basically means that my mom can sign something and hang it on the door on the expected delivery date, and the package will be left (it's a safe place in a small town where all the neighbors know each other, so I'm not worried about theft in the space of a few hours).

But I can't find any more info on this on the FedEx site. I was hoping it's something I can download and mail to my mom, in order to make this as painless as possible for her.

Has anyone here had experience with this, and can you tell me more about it?

Thanks. :)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally I don't trust that unless the package is something inexpensive.

If you go with the signature release, FedEx drops it off and it then grows legs and walks off your SOL. you cannot file a claim with FedEx and basically paid for nothing.

3. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

As I posted above, this is not a problem in this particular place. Packages have been left through the years with no problems.

I am asking for help because this is the first time I've used FedEx, and I've not had experience with the indirect signature form. If anyone has info or experience directly relating to the question I asked, I'd be very grateful if you'd share it.

4. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

Indirect Signature means a building doorman, office lobby, neighbor, etc can sign for a package. From my experience, the Fed Ex person will leave a sticky on the door saying we were here and your weren't. The sticky gives an option to sign and leave when Fed EX comes back the next day. I've left hand written signs "please leave package" and the package has been left. I'm sure this is up to the driver. It helps if you can put the waybill on the note you leave. Good luck!

5. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Ah, I get it. Thanks, this is very useful.

One noobie question, though - what's a waybill? A printout from the FedEx site showing the shipping details? :eek:

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The Door tag is a note left by the FedEx person when they attempt delivery the first time (and apparently looks like this). You then can sign it and leave it out for them so that he next time they can leave it.

You could try leaving a signed note out, if you try that I would copy the text that they have on the door tag down at the bottom

By my signature, I am requesting that FedEx leave ...

Also add the tracking number if you have it, perhaps giving directions of where to put the parcel.

Good luck.

7. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Thanks for the image. :)

I'll send my mom something she can print out and sign that uses the wording in the image, and maybe the driver will be relieved and just leave the package. If nothing else, she can sign the thing they leave.

8. rowsdower macrumors 6502

If you go to your order status in the Apple Store, there should be a link right next to the tracking number that says "Pre-sign for this shipment". That will give you a form that you can print, sign, and leave on the door. You will probably have more luck using that than something you come up with yourself.

9. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Heheh, it's not an Apple product, believe it or not. It's this:

[​IMG]

Anyway, I've mailed FedEx and asked if I can make a pre-signed note using their wording (thanks to the image from xUKHCx), or alternately if they can delay delivery until three days later.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I know and I was stating that regardless of the quietness of your neighborhood you are taking a chance on not ever receiving the package and absolving FedEx from any and all liability.

I too live in a town that I feel safe, the crime rate is down and I can leave my door open, but that doesn't mean I was about to tell fedex to leave my new computer or iPhone on the door stop or by the back of the house because I wasn't around.

Good luck, I'm sure everything will turn out ok, its just not a move I'd feel comfortable doing.

11. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

That's fine, and I understand this is something you wouldn't do, but my question was about FedEx's indirect signature system, not about the relative safety of having them leave a package.

And I agree, it will turn out fine. If FedEx agrees to delay delivery, I'll have them do that. That would be best all around - no hassle for anyone. My one and only concern here is not burdening my mother with this relatively unimportant matter in the middle of a trying time for her. It's not her fault the vendor shipped before the agreed date.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

My niece used indirect sig to receive something I had sent her. Fed Ex came and she wasn't home, they left some paperwork on the porch, she signed it and stuck it on the door, next day they collected the paperwork and left the package on the porch. Worked out great.

It did happen to be something from Apple. But, the paperwork she signed wasn't Apple's pre-signing paperwork, it was just the routine notice FedEx leaves if they show up and you're not around to sign for something tagged as requiring indirect signature.