[FedEx] Anyone ever had this happen before?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Jun 4, 2008.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I ordered an iPhoto book and got the tracking number from Apple today. I put it into FedEx's site, and it brings up the tracking information for a package that was delivered in Utah in December, 2006. Now, I don't think I need to state the obvious here, but just in case, I live in Missouri and it's June, 2008.

I called Apple, they told me they can't help and to call FedEx. I then called FedEx, they told me they can't help and to call Apple. Sooo.....yeah, what do I do here? I'm the type of guy who religiously checks tracking info for stuff I'm expecting, so taking away a tracking page from me is like taking away the crack from a junkie.

While we're on the subject, does anyone know where iPhoto books ship from, so I can have some idea of when it might get here? Thanks

2. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

They ship from the closest distribution center.

Last time i tried the apple people could help infact they pulled strings from me so I bet you just got a lazy employee.

If you want help from fedex then step on apple's tale.

3. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

FedEx decided to save a lot of time back in late 2006 figuring that a certain percentage of packages would always get lost. They decided to lose a bunch of future shipments in order to reduce the burden on the employees for the coming years. Your package just happens to be one of those that was preemptively lost.

Never fear, you received the package in early 2007, thoroughly enjoyed it's contents and sold it on eBay last month. We're happy to have served you in the past.

4. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

ROFL

5. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Check tomorrow. They recycle tracking numbers. As soon as the item is scanned for pickup, it will clear the old record.

It's happened to me several times. I love when I get an email telling me the product has shipped, two days after I receive it.

6. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Alright, thanks everyone. I'll see what it says tomorrow then go from there

7. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Keep yourself busy it will be here before you know it.
    A watched pot never boils. Or something like that.
    We're not talking a Mac Pro here. It's an iPhoto book. I'm sure it's great, but relax on the reins a little.

8. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I know its not that special. I'm just like that with any package ;)

9. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

I know the feeling. I want a GPS location within 6' of where my packages are... With the ability to buzz the driver's pager if he's been in the same place for more than an hour. Lunch is over buddy, bring me my box! :)

10. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

A plot on Google Maps that shows the exact route across the country it will take from the shipping point to my front door and the exact location of the package on said route would be awesome :D

11. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

We'll get it some day.

I know one reason it will be slow to come though. There was a story in Denver where they put GPS in all of the Qwest service vehicles to help coordinate service. And they found that half the vans went to a restaurant at the same time for breakfast. The drivers went nuts and they pulled the GPS.

12. agbot macrumors regular

That same thing happened to me with a UPS package - initial tracking info showed a delivery a couple years back. Once the new package was in the system everything tracked fine.

13. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

GPS is beyond what I want, however nice it would be. All I ask is that the system plot out the UPS facilities that my package passes through - that is, plot out the scans. That's something I can do on my own without driver complaints.

Another hangup to the GPS would be that drivers have to get different packages outat different times. I imagine that UPS drivers pass my place three times before they stop for me. I'm a residence, and the early am, am, business deliveries all take precedence. I imagine that some people would be mighty unhappy when the package passed them. Also bad would be that the drivers wouldn't be able to lie about delivery attempts - and we can't stop those fake stops, can we?

14. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

It updated with the latest tracking info.

Oddly enough, both the package from 2006 and this one were shipped from Medford, OR. I don't know if Apple just reuses all of their iPhoto tracking numbers, or if it's just a once in a million coincidence.

15. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Packages should almost never pass your residence. UPS has delivery down to a science, shortest path, least fuel used, etc. You should almost never see a UPS truck turn left. Left turns waste more gas than right turns because you have to wait longer for your light. The mapping software they use is unreal.

Other than the difference between residential and commercial delivery, it should be there when the route brings it by your place. Very rare for a major delivery company to backtrack nowadays.

16. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I used to run the receiving desk at a company in Wa. My UPS guy stopped by at 10am everyday with Red packages then came by again at 12:30 for the regular ground stuff. You could set a clock by that guy. He basically went out and did all the AM deliveries, then did the route backwards to do the ground stuff and pickups.

So yes, it is possible for the UPS guy to drive past your place, with your package, and not stop.

My UPS guy also helped run a football pool for someone on his route. Good stuff.

The FedEx ground girl was hot, we were her last stop of the day. On a sunny day she would leave in a bikini :)