Fedex boned me... What's my recourse?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DarthTreydor, Nov 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

so i ordered an MSI Wind for my mom as a christmas present off ebay. the transaction was going smoothly (i paid with paypal, it was shipped, i got a tracking number, etc) up until today, the day it was supposed to be delivered. i was waiting at home all day when i checked the tracking page on the fedex website's tracking page it said that it had been DELIVERED. i thought to myself: "that's funny, because it's not here" then i checked and discovered that someone (not me) had signed for it. i immediately got on the phone with a fedex customer service stooge who said that she would leave a message at the terminal and that i should expect a call from someone there. that was an hour ago. so what should i do? i didn't get insurance on the package. does that mean i'm out of luck? should i dispute the credit card charges? please help. i'm freaking out...

2. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but any package Fedex shipped is already insured for the said amount. With that being said, have you asked your neighbors if they signed for it? If you live in an apartment, they may have dropped it off at your business office. I would check around first if you haven't. Also, give them a day to process it and everything and find out what happened. An hour is a bit too soon to go all crazy.

3. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Every package is insured for $100, i beleive.

Additional insurance is available.

If you ahve a fedex account you can see who signed for it, what time it was signed for. Fedex should be able to correlate that with other packages signed at that time to determine where the truck was when the package was signed for. it will take some persistance in getting this resolved.

4. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Thanks for the insurance clarification.

Actually, I don't even think you need an account. I was able to see signature proof straight from the tracking page. I would see who signed for it.

5. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Ahhh good to know. I have had fedex and ups accounts for so long sometimes I forget what they offer.

6. DarthTreydor thread starter macrumors 6502

i live in a suburban neighborhood and i did check the signature, it wasn't any name i recognized as being any of my neighbors.

i never got a call back today so i'm going to call back tomorrow morning and annoy the bejeezus out of someone until i get my package or my $400 back.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

Both FedEx and UPS tend to lose packages in my neighborhood. The reason is there are 4 streets connecting and are not well marked, and all 4 streets have houses with identical numbers. Unfortunately, they tend to leave packages at the wrong house. I finally went to the FedEx office and showed them a map of the neighborhood with 4 houses marked with the same street number and gave them a hard time for dropping a $600 package at the wrong address. I even showed a photograph of my house which has the number and street name on the mailbox in 4" letters, easily visible from the street. They apologized and credited me with the FedEx delivery fee. Fortunately my neighbor was kind enough to give me the package.

8. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Buy them dinner

9. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Why anyone would buy something expensive off ebay... then pay with paypal without buying insurance kind of boggles my mind. No wonder scamming is such a lucrative business.

10. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Fedex boned me... What's my recourse?

You mean what's your inter(xxxxxx)? I don't know, but if you don't remember, ask Fedex, maybe their memory is more clear.

Although, when you don't get a call the next day after they promised (and they didn't call, as you say), that's usually a bad sign - just common dating wisdom.

11. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I could not have said it better myself....well done!

12. DarthTreydor thread starter macrumors 6502

just an update: i called fedex back today. they told me that the driver would have to retrace his steps and if i don't get the package by wednesday, i would have to file a claim for nondelivery. i'm not feeling that hopeful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.