FedEx couriers - the tale of the lying delivery driver

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by unlokia, Sep 29, 2008.

1. unlokia macrumors regular

Has anyone else here had MAJOR problems with FedEx couriers?. I live in the UK, and I am waiting for a graphics card to arrive from ATI Europe. On FedEx site it says that the parcel is out for delivery today... ok.

I then call my local FedEx depot, less than 12 miles away, and they inform me that the delivery driver (probably a local guy) "couldn't find your address, and tried to call your landline number at 12:00 midday).

Unfortunately for FedEx, there is this clever service that BT offer called "1471" or "caller return". You dial "1471" and it informs you of the date and time that someone last called your landline; in my case, that was 11:14am today - I called FedEx back, and played the "1471" OUT LOUD on loudspeaker to them... the girl says "oooh uhhhm oh well we will try to re-deliver it before 6pm tonight" in a VERY sheepish, rushed tone of voice (probably trying to hide either her embarrassment [guilt? - I'm not saying she was lying, but how does one know this?] ).

I am SICK of incompetent couriers!. My address is VERY easy to find - hundreds of non-locals seem to find it every year to visit us, so WHY CAN'T A COURIER *WITH* GPS FIND IT?!. Has anyone else here had FedEx problems?. If they had been up front, it would have been annoying... but NOWHERE near as bad as outright LIES!.

I'd love to know if I am alone with this complaint. :(

2. gnusec macrumors newbie

I work in the freight forwarding industry, and your experience, unfortunately, is par for course with all couriers and freighters.

More lucrative pickups or deliveries come up, drivers get delayed at one stop, they forgot to load it on the truck, there are myriad reasons it didn’t deliver when they said it would, but it’s easier for them just to give you the run around, and string you along. A lot of customers are screamers and get very angry when there is no way to un-do the mistake, and some people are understanding, but, it’s just easier to string everyone along to avoid dealing with any angry customers. It’s a lame business tactic, but all of the delivery services are guilty of it.

3. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Was it FedEx called you at 11.14? If not, they coulda called you at 11.13 or anytime before, surely? If either was the case, that would make it an honest mistake - 45mins isn't a big mistake to make.

But yeah, delivery drivers are a law unto themselves. I don't know if you've read the comic Viz, but they had a sketch once about delivery drivers, writing the 'sorry you were out' notice before getting out of their van and ringing the doorbell.

Guess what I saw a few weeks ago? The same thing happen; the letter put through the letterbox and the driver back in his van, no doorbell rung, nothing - and the person was home.

4. Lau Guest

FedEx UK are complete scum. I've had them screw up stuff in the past, they charge £20 admin on £5 customs charges, and by far the rudest call centre staff I've ever had the misfortune to deal with.

Most couriers are pretty shoddy and it seems to be luck with the others, but I would never, ever use FedEx after the nightmares I've had with them. I feel your pain.

5. unlokia thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, well that's alright then... :rolleyes:

Uhmm nope, a local friend called at 11:14am, and besides - as I said - FedEx DEPOT said the driver called from a mobile at 12 midday... and there WAS no call to me at 12 midday - the last incoming call from ANYONE AT ALL was 11:14am. Even the FedEx site says that the discrepancy was logged at 12:05pm which matches up with the SUPPOSED phone call, which never happened. Look:

[​IMG]

If non-local people from miles away can find us *without* GPS, then I see barely an excuse for a probably local driver *with* GPS, fingers to dial with and a mouth with which to speak to me. Unacceptable.

I think "scum" is a little harsh a judgement :confused:

6. Motley macrumors 6502

I had a box for someone else dropped off at my place a few weeks before Christmas. The problem was the address on the box didn't exist (the numbers on the address were switched). So I guess the drive just gave up and dropped the package at an address that was close to the one on the box :rolleyes:

I had to look up the persons name and find their location and deliver it myself (wasn't far).

7. unlokia thread starter macrumors regular

My address definitely exists; I am sitting inside it, as I type! :D:p

8. Lau Guest

I was being slightly tongue in cheek, but no judgement is too harsh for Fedex. :p

Hope you get your stuff. :)

9. Keebler macrumors 68030

honestly....I think problems can happen with anything.

My question is why are you so upset about it? It's not like they never delivered it and you had to re-order? It's just later than expected.

I understand you're upset about someone not telling the truth, but it's just a graphics card and like I said, it's not like they're trying to deny they ever delivered it and you need to re-order. it's just later than expected. If you took a day off work and they don't deliver it today and want you to stay at home tomorrow, then be all means tee off on them, but if it comes tonight, then you're good to go.

hang in there,
    Keebler

10. unlokia thread starter macrumors regular

I think you miss the point; the POINT of a courier is to deliver the goods, ON TIME. Why do you think there are different prices for differing delivery time slots?. I would not have been so annoyed had they not lied, but the REASON they are paid by their head office, IS TO DELIVER PACKAGES ON TIME!. Anything can have an excuse given for it, but the fact is they LIED to me, and to their local depot. Yeah I most probably will get it later this evening... but as I have said, and as you know... that ISN'T the point, is it?.

Scapegoats and excuses are becoming far too common; whatever happened to personal pride in a job well done?. Hardly anyone cares any more - the world is becoming an increasingly lazy place, and a vast majority of industry simply want to increase profits, but with VERY little, if any, increase in service to the customer - you know, the people at the end of the supply chain, that pay their salary?!.

I appreciate you were making an observation, but giving them MORE headroom for excuses is not the answer. I expect people to tell the truth, although they often don't. Weak and cowardly behaviour.. whatever happened to "real men" with b*lls who could face up to making a mistake?. :rolleyes:

11. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

I would lay that FedEx UK is similiar to FedEx US that after the truck returns to the hub, you CAN go pick it up (Given you are 5 or 6 hours ahead, then right about now would be a good time to call).

FedEx uses contract drivers here in the US, and that accounts for the reason for the service disconnect. One thing I would suggest is calling the company that you ordered it from asking for your shipping monies back given that it was not delivered on the date promised.

12. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Yeah, you probably can go and get it, if it's definitely sitting in the depot, and not in the back of the van overnight, which happens.

I did that with my MBP; got home from town, saw I'd missed it, went to the depot where it had been returned to, only to find that it had been redelivered - went home and there was my £1300 computer sitting by the front door.

13. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

FedEx around here is terrible. I was once having a package delivered and was sitting in my living room (where I had a clear view of the street), saw the guy come up to my door, slap a notice on it, then turn around and leave without even ringing the bell.

UPS, on the other hand, is incredible. I'm on a first name basis with the guy who delivers in my area, probably because we see each other so much.

14. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Yea I don't trust Fed Ex or UPS here in the U.S.

I worry any time I'm expecting a delivery. My father had extensive damage to a very expensive camera he ordered. UPS eventually replaced the item minus the tax on the ordered item not to mention the 3 months of his time getting it straitened out.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

FedEx is always on time here where I live; UPS is good most of the time—just one or two mess ups a year.

DHL is wrong half the time; either delivering to people in the wrong city or what; sometimes they leave stuff that says "Signature Required" outside because the driver decided to sign for it!

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

My personal best store on a delivery is while I was in college. I had some needed medication being shipped to me that never arrived. I get a message on face book that it turned up in at a college dorm in another state roughly 300 miles away.

I am still trying to figure out how grossly incompotent that is. Not only is the address I have in another state, another city completely 300 miles off course. Radically different zip codes, Radically different spelling of the cities.

no the driver saw a package in a very wrong place and dumped it at a very easy location a college campus..... Stupid on so many levels. It would of been at least some what respectable if it ended up in the same city.

17. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Had Problems with a few company ranging from holes through boxes to missed delivery's that have cost me time & money

Shame things are like that , maybe if they said when they could actually deliver something instead of false promises then folks wouldn't get so irate , everyone would have an easier time of things then , couriers included .everyone running around trying to do stuff too fast :(

& it's only getting worse unfortunately, I personally haven't been able to buy anything recently without one kind of problem or another with either delivery or shoddy goods , something is very wrong ..not many folk seem to give a rats ass for their fellow man ....the attention to detail ...the simple things are not being attended to anymore , crazy times .

18. maxleo macrumors newbie

Another Fed Ex nightmare

Just another nightmare story to show the bad service of a delivery company NOBODY should use (or at least you should think twice before using them).

M-Audio sent a parcel to me, using Fed Ex, on 3.9.09 for a next day delivery, from Derby, UK, to London, UK. I waited all day at home on 4.9.09 but I had no delivery.
    On 5.9.09, Saturday, I waited until 12.00 pm, even if Fed Ex does not do Saturday deliveries and then I left home.
    I came back to find a card from Fed Ex with an attempt for delivery at 13.00. However the card was post dated 4.9.09 as shown in the PDF attached.
    This is clearly a lie since at that time (13.00pm of 4.9.09) the parcel was still at the deposit (it left at 13.30 on 4.9.09).
    However this is just the beginning of a nightmare.
    On Monday 7.9.09 I was busy and I hoped that, with no booking for a delivery, they were going to leave the parcel at the deposit.
    I was wrong. The parcel once is on the van, will not leave it until it is re-send back to the sender, if not successfully delivered. You have to call them and ask, with one day advance to leave the parcel at the deposit.
    I wonder how good this does to delicate items to travel 8 hours per day on a van driven by a crazy driver, for 5 days.
    Anyway, I learned this on 8.9.09, at lunch time when, going to the deposit off Tottenham Lane (I don’t have a car, so I went by bus, ½ a hour, and then there is a 15 min walk) I was told that the parcel was still on the van and that they were going to delivered it in the afternoon, or if I was not in, the driver was going to leave a card.
    I expected that the delivery was going to be done, as it is said on the card, between 9.00 and 17.30. I was still wrong. The driver, as shown on the internet tracking system, came at 18.30, he did not find me but he did not leave any card (as show on the tracking, please see PDF attached, but this is just my word against his).
    I was expecting this and, previously in the day, I had called the secretary and I asked, in case of no delivery, to leave the parcel at the deposit, so that I could collect it the day after. I was told by the secretary that to be sure the parcel was taken off the van I had to call early at 8.00am but that she was going to leave a message to the driver for this. On 9.9.09 I called at 8.00, but with no answer. I tried again at 9.00, then at 10.00 still with no answer. Finally I called at 13.50 just to be sure the parcel was in the deposit. The secretary called the van driver and she was told that the parcel was not on the van. So she supposed that it was in the deposit. However, as you will discover, the parcel, when I called, was not at the deposit.
    I turned up at the deposit around 15.30 and after waiting 3 minutes to get an answer from the bell, I was told to wait in the small unventilated waiting room. I was there for 10 minutes, and finally I was told that the parcel was not at the deposit, as they had from the computer records. In fact it resulted that it had been delivered to my neighbour address 20 minutes before I called, at 13.30pm. So the site manager at Fed Ex called the driver to know where the parcel was. In what could be described one of the most sadistic twist in a thriller film, the driver, once called by the secretary at 13.50pm, did not say that the parcel had been delivered, went back to my neighbour address, recollected the item, and brought it back to the deposit. In fact after a small search the site manager found the item, freshly returned to the deposit but not recorded on the internet tracking system.

Finally, the nightmare was over and with my luggage trolley I was able to go home, by bus, with this parcel.
    And now I have low back pain.

19. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Same here (maybe UPS in Alabama has its act together). I don't remember the last time I received anything by FedEx, but UPS has been consistently reliable. Or reliably consistent, if you prefer.

20. djellison macrumors 68020

UPS, FedEx, DHL, Parcelforce, DPS - I've not found a single courier with which I have not had at least one, and often multiple nightmares.

As an industry, it is utterly incompetent.

21. ddiogyn macrumors member

Quite. Parcelforce have screwed up many a delivery and their attitude to clients is disgraceful. ParcelFARCE more like.