FedEx delivery in USA

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bruinsrme, Mar 15, 2012.

1. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

The FedEx tracking info says delivery is indirect ( contracted services )

In past experience the tracking information stops when it changes delivery responsibility from FedEx to the third party and the rules change.

For instance if the package is being handled by a contracted agent and delivery is rescheduled because a signature was not obtainable the package doesn't necessarily go back to the local distribution depot. This means that you may not be ale to call FedEx and have them hold it for pick up.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences with FedEx third party deliveries?

2. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

I've had a few third party deliveries and thus far, no problems with them. No sig required for that which was shipped, so no info on something like the iPad that does require a signature. Guess they are going to be a lot of them to handle the load the first few days is my guess.

3. ninaco macrumors 6502

ninaco

Mine is "indirect" as well. I didn't realize that meant the actual delivery was contracted out.

4. mcl macrumors regular

You're misreading the tracking information. It says "Standard Overnight - Indirect Signature Required ", which means that someone (not necessarily the intended recipient) must sign for the package. That's what "indirect signature" means to FedEx.

See http://www.fedex.com/us/tracking/f_quickhelp.html

It's understandable. The line breaks after "Indirect", making it look like it says the shipping is indirect, and that a signature is required (next line).

5. Ankah macrumors newbie

Fedex contracts all its ground services, and a verry small % of its overnight.

they drive Fedex branded trucks they have to purchase and maintain themselves. they own the areas " no other fedex driver can drive those routes except overnight delivery. and the tracking still works, as they report to the Depot to have their truck loaded / unloaded by fedex.

what they robally did is hand off soem of the deliveries to the Ground people instead of overnight as they were pre-delivered to fedex, and they have more people on ground.

you can still have your iPad sent to the depot for pickup

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Unless FedEx has changed it's terminology very recently "indirect" doesn't mean contracted services. It means that virtually anyone can sign for the package, i.e., a neighbor, or even on just a "release form." Direct signature means only someone at the residence can sign and you cannot use a release form. The next bump up is "adult signature" which mean someone over 21 at the residence must sign.

As far as employees go, I don't believe FedEx uses contractors. I know FedEx Ground is all contractors and get paid per package delivered, but these are two separate divisions that share zero resources. They have different hubs, different trucks, etc.

7. bruinsrme thread starter macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Thanks for the info. Good stuff.

----------

I will know in about 10 hours how it will be delivered.

8. isorhythmic macrumors newbie

^^^^

9. xyphr3 macrumors member

My apple cover arrived via FedEx but my iPad is coming by UPS? Guess it just depends which carrier is bigger in your region?