Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
Do the Fedex drivers knows the access codes to gain entrance to our gated condo community by now? We don't have the intercom kind of thing at the gate but we all have general access code to gain entrance. But I've seen them delivered inside our condo before and wonder how they gain entrance? I'm worried that if they see that it's gated they won't try to do at least everything they can to deliver my iPhone 4. I'm thinking of leaving the gate open but I don't wanna be liable for any crime that may happen inside our condo if I do that, how about I leave a note by the gate to call me but then I have to leave my phone number out there for the whole world to see and will the driver even try to call? :rolleyes: Forgive me for being so worried about this :D I know I sound so desperate, I'll probably just stay outside our condo looking like a fool all day:cool:

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
How could anyone on MacRumors know if the FedEx driver knows the code for the security gate at your condo :confused:

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
I was just wondering if anybody are in the same situation as I am who are gated apartments or condo and if the Fedex drivers were able to get in? And how?

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
um our delivery guy can get in just fine I don't know how management has it setup...he may have his own code.

But when we have a different delivery driver they don't even try to get in. They just keep going and the status changes to "nobody home".

Dfndr90

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2006
Do the Fedex drivers knows the access codes to gain entrance to our gated condo community by now? We don't have the intercom kind of thing at the gate but we all have general access code to gain entrance. But I've seen them delivered inside our condo before and wonder how they gain entrance? I'm worried that if they see that it's gated they won't try to do at least everything they can to deliver my iPhone 4. I'm thinking of leaving the gate open but I don't wanna be liable for any crime that may happen inside our condo if I do that, how about I leave a note by the gate to call me but then I have to leave my phone number out there for the whole world to see and will the driver even try to call? :rolleyes: Forgive me for being so worried about this :D I know I sound so desperate, I'll probably just stay outside our condo looking like a fool all day:cool:

Most likely if it is the regular driver they will know the code. If you ever get close to a truck look up on the visor and you will most likely see a sticker with about a dozen codes on it for all the random gates and doors they have to get through in a day.

In the old days most couriers just kept this info written down on their clipboard, but now they all carry a computer to get the signature so they have taken to just putting it on the visor.

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
Don't know about your condo but some of my drivers has access to apt and condos that are given out by the complex management.

Also a buddy of mine work for fire dept and I asked him about it and he said usually there's an emergancy code built it like example #0911. I don't know how the emergancy people know it unless it's registered with city codes dept or what.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Have your management contact Fedex, or vice-versa. They will need to contact FedEx Ground separately!

Fedex has a horrible system for dealing with this. My driver keeps this stuff on his personal cell phone, and when there is a substitute driver, he leaves it on a bulletin board (physical, cork-board) where the substitute is SUPPOSED to look for messages.

As well, HOAs can be incredibly daft about this. Most board members are more interested in display their petty powers than actually doing anything useful. Controlling access to the "secret gate codes" is one of their powers. (No matter if people are breaking into your garage regularly and breaking into cars with no security cameras to catch them. They'll defend those "secret codes" to their death!)

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I doubt this is the first time (ever) that a FedEx/UPS/USPS driver has ever delivered to a gated community/condo/apartments.

I'm sure they know what to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.