Fedex Experiences

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AustinSTI, Jun 20, 2010.

1. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

So my iPhone 4 shipped via fedex and I got the tracking number this morning. I've been wondering if I could now call fedex and ask them to hold at the depot for pickup the morning of the 24th (on the way to my office). It opens at 8:30 which is less than ideal but still pretty early relatively speaking.

I know I did something similar once with UPS where I called them and actually had them change a shipping address while a package was in route but I've had less experience with Fedex.

thoughts? Anyone done this before?

EdiT: I don't want to do anything to gum up the works either. My wife will be home that day to receive the package but I'm thinking picking it up at the depot in the morning there's a higher chance I'll be able to get it activated before things go to hell.

2. InvalidBassist macrumors regular

InvalidBassist

From what I've heard, Fed-Ex won't hold Apple-sent-release-day products. They have to attempt devliery at least once before it can be held.

3. AustinSTI thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the heads up. I was gonna stay home that morning but got booked into some meetings I cannot skip out on. My wife's on high alert; when the package comes she's gonna bring it and her laptop so I can attempt to activate it :)

4. InvalidBassist macrumors regular

InvalidBassist

Excellent! I had my girlfriend deliver my iPad when it arrived on launch day, but she forgot my laptop. :rolleyes:

5. ttech10 macrumors 6502

They held my 3GS in Louisville for 2 days last year. Had said to be delivered by the 17th but got it on the 19th.

Search here on MacRumors and you'll find a few threads from last year about how they held shipments.

6. taskmanager macrumors regular

They held the last iphone release till the release date. Apple has a whole lotta pull.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Ah, then how about a call on the 24th to have it held that night for a pickup on the way home?

8. AustinSTI thread starter macrumors 6502

I think theres some confusion. I have no question Fedex will hold it till the 24th regardless of when it gets to my distribution center. What I was wondering was if I called them and told them I wanted to pick it up the morning of the 24th at 8:30 when they open rather than have them deliver it that day, would the honor that request?

Sounded like no...

9. mysticbluebmw macrumors regular

The only way to truly find is to call your local FedEx station, as it's really up to whom ever you talk to there. I've had it go both ways at my local Fedex and UPS. That is, they won't hold it until the day after 1st attempted delivery and I've gotten them to hold it w/o delivering it. Just depends on the mood of whoever you talk to, whether they have a clear cut policy or not.

10. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

As some one has posted on another thread on this forum, it's not only Apple that has the pull. Any manufacturer or publisher can ask FEDEX or UPS to hold shipment until a given date and they will do it. This poster related how this was done for most of the releases of Harry Potter books.

11. Nyse macrumors member

I called today, and the lady told me that they can't hold until one attempt has been made to deliver:(