Feed back on portfolio

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by ktmitch05, Sep 17, 2010.

1. ktmitch05 macrumors newbie

ktmitch05

Not sure if this is the right place to post but I'm looking for any feedback possible, as I'm always striving to improve.

So please let me know. And if any one knows much about SEO could you give me any tips would be really appreciated!

http://www.kanemitchellphotography.com

Kane

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Emm regarding the design its quite nice and displays the content well but your logo text is very hard to read perhaps use a dark grey instead of black.

4. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Same here.

5. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

i like how image heavy it is which is appropriate for a photographer

i noticed a few things, your nav is jogging every time i click on a page so you might wanna check that out

i don't think you need a separate nav for home either as it's very common for users to expect the logo to take them back to home

also on the main page, the left hand box looks awkwardly laid out in comparison to the right hand box because of the headers

6. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

My initial impressions

photo 1) holy **** huge face.

photo 3) creepy. Can only see the white of the baby's eye.

Not saying the photos are bad, just not good images for showcasing.

7. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I think you'll need to get more wedding photographs to merit a Wedding section of your portfolio.

Get a couple together, get them in nice clothes, go find a nice place to shoot (you found a few in your landscapes - the last in the 1st page of landscapes looks like a lovely location) during the golden hour and have an Engagement section instead. Better yet, find a recently engaged couple, do a shoot for them and if it turns out well, you might get a chance at doing their wedding.

The misc section isn't too good, you may need to add to it or remove it.

One thing I would be concerned about as a potential client, is you haven't been judicious enough in your selection, especially in the child portrait section. Maybe look through the photos again, I like them, but there are several near duplicates in terms of your subjects pose and composition.

The baby in the cap against her mother's (I guess) shoulder is a nice family photo, probably wouldn't be framed though, so maybe that one doesn't need to be on your portfolio.

Site design is nice and it looks really good on my iPad - well done for not using the Devil's web technology ;) maybe look at a slight adjustment to the colour of your logo.

One site I love is http://www.jessicaclaire.net/ for looking at wedding/engagement/family photography....

8. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

I like the overall design of the website. Having said that, a couple of things can still be improved:

1) Logo - it's too dark in comparison with the background. Maybe you can make the name white, and subtitle a different color (ligher gray, red, blue, etc.)

2) Photos on the front page - Loading up the page with that big face popping up as the first thing creeped me out a bit. Try changing it to some photo that's not up close.

3) Menu fonts - They seem too amateurish. I think that even a mid or bold Helvetica/Arial would work better.

4) How photos are stacked on the left side on the portfolio pages - This isn't a big issue, but something to think about. Some of the photos have big empty spaces between them.

9. ktmitch05 thread starter macrumors newbie

ktmitch05

Thank you

Thank you all for your feedback, it has been really useful.

Will look at these and make changes where needed in the next week.

Thank you again,

Kano