Feed scanner that works with 3rd party scanning software

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by boston04and07, Feb 7, 2016.

1. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I'm looking for a specific type of scanner and was wondering if anyone knew if such a thing existed. Basically I'm looking for a feed scanner that doesn't require its own proprietary software to be used on OS X. I have a ScanSnap and love it, but am not a huge fan of its software. However, it won't work with 3rd party scanning software, which is unfortunate because I really prefer the 3rd party software that I use for my flatbed scanner (which is Prizmo by Creaceed). So, if anyone knows of a feed scanner that works with 3rd party software, I would love to know!! I've been looking around but it's hard to tell on many companies' websites whether their software is required...

2. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Take a look at the Epson GTS50 and the Xerox Documate 3125.

I started with the ScanSnap but like you mentioned, you must use the Fujitsu software.
    The other 2 I have just installed with the downloaded drivers.

I use the Neat Scanner at home because I do like the software.

3. boston04and07 thread starter macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Fantastic - thank you so much for your reply to this! It's so hard to tell which scanners require their own software in order to function, so this is very helpful. I probably won't be purchasing one for a few months, but as soon as I do I'll be sure to post back with my results.

4. boston04and07 thread starter macrumors 65816

boston04and07

So I'm finally about to purchase a new scanner and both of the ones you mentioned look good. Is there one in particular you like over the other? I'd love to hear any thoughts you might have. I'll be using it to scan color photos to JPG's and text documents to searchable PDF's with my own software, so any software they come with doesn't matter a ton to me (other than the drivers of course!) So yeah, if you're liking one over the other I'd be interested to know. Thanks!!

5. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Not really, I have 4 Xerox 3125's and 5 Epson GTS50's and I haven't really had an issue with anyone of them and we do hundreds of page scans per week, some can easily be over aa thousand and they just keep doing their jobs. Both have changeable wheels and springs (the mechanisms that feed the paper) so if they ever wear out you can easily pop out the old and insert a new one.
    I know for sure the Xerox came with extra parts in the box, it's been so long since I bought an Epson I can't remember but either one should easily do what you need them to do.

Although I do like the OneTouch software/driver that comes with the Xerox.
    It has 2 buttons on the front of the scanner that you can program to do things and auto save to a particular file folder on your computer.
    ie: We can put a stack of 30 pages in the scanner and press the physical button on the front and walk away, come back and the PDF's are saved to a folder.

The Epson may even be able to but I know for sure the Xerox can do this.

I'm glad I could help.

6. boston04and07 thread starter macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Thanks again for your feedback with this! I ended up going with the Xerox and so far I really love it. I just installed the driver and haven't yet looked at their own software, but it's great to be able to use the same scanning software that I already use with my flatbed scanner. Makes for a much more consistent experience with all the things I scan regularly which is very nice.

The hardware itself is great. It definitely scans a bit faster than my older scanner and I've had far fewer paper jams or other issues like that. In fact the one jam I had was when I was testing the feed by purposely increasing the amount of paper it can hold. (Needless to say I found it and it's pretty high - roughly 20 pages usually). The scans are also super clear. All in all I'm very happy - thanks again for your advice! I'd definitely recommend this to anyone else looking for something similar.

7. campyguy macrumors 68030

I'm a bit late here, if you're still hunting for software related to scanners IMHO start and end your search at Hamrick's VueScan - supporting the Mac platform for almost 20 years. It's running on a few of my servers right now...