Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keep 2011 15" MacBook Pro I7 or Late 2013 13" MacBook Air I7?

• Total voters

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
I currently have a maxed out 2011 i7 15" MacBook pro and am considering pulling the trigger on a 13" late 2013 MacBook air i7 (8gb ram/512gb ssd).

I'm looking for something lighter and with better battery life and can run photoshop/illustrator and maybe some light video editing.

I've found a deal on a late 2013 MacBook air 2013 and don't mind the 13" size. Is there any noticeable difference in user experience between the two aside from size and weight?

Pugly

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2016
Looking at benchmarks, the 2011 i7 is faster in multicore performance. But single core they are about the same... so it's kind of a wash in performance. But it will be plenty fast to do stuff. The quality ssd really helps make the machine speedy.

I had a quadcore i7 2010 macmini and a 2009 white macbook. I wanted to get something portable that matched the performance of the macmini. I debated going with a used 15inch or a newer MBA. The i7 macbook air isn't as fast as the 15" MBP or macmini, but not by much... and I never notice it. Unless you are doing something that really cranks the CPU for hours at a time, video encoding or some sort of number crunching... the performance difference isn't noticeable.

I really notice the portability though. It's great having this much power in this portable of a computer. It's like there are no compromises here. Well outside of the screen and bezel... but that doesn't matter.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Still using my 2013 11" i7/8gb/512gb MBA as a primary computer and love it. Very speedy little machine, I do video editing on it with no problem. Of course, the condition of a used machine is always a concern though. You could be looking at a battery replacement in the next year or two, although mine still works great with only slightly less run time than new.

Like @Pugly said, the SSD is really fast on these machines, around 700MB/sec write and even better read performance. The 802.11ac wifi is also very nice if you access files on a LAN, I get around 60MB/sec connecting to a shared disk over wifi.

IMO, the 2013 MBA is the sweet spot for performance vs price, the new models really aren't much faster (although the new 13" model has a faster SSD).

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
I bought a 2013 MBA i7/512 in 2015, as I wanted to run Mountain Lion and that was the last model that did this. I have been very pleased - it is fast and has a good battery life.

The impression I have of the newer MBAs are that the only significant improvement has been in graphics performance. That is important for some things, but I don't think it makes a huge difference for what you say you would use it for.

That said... you might notice the speed reduction from your 15 inch due to the lack of a quad core processor on the MBA. And the screen is definitely inferior on the MBA.

Personally, I would spend the dosh on a 13 inch retina of a similar vintage, given your software is graphics/photo oriented.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
I bought a 2013 MBA i7/512 in 2015, as I wanted to run Mountain Lion and that was the last model that did this. I have been very pleased - it is fast and has a good battery life.

The impression I have of the newer MBAs are that the only significant improvement has been in graphics performance. That is important for some things, but I don't think it makes a huge difference for what you say you would use it for.

That said... you might notice the speed reduction from your 15 inch due to the lack of a quad core processor on the MBA. And the screen is definitely inferior on the MBA.

Personally, I would spend the dosh on a 13 inch retina of a similar vintage, given your software is graphics/photo oriented.

• Are you running el capitan on the 2013 yet?
  • The quad core I7 from the 2011 MacBook pro is faster in some situations than the 2013 MacBook air I7?
  • The screen of a 2011 MacBook pro is inferior to a 2013 MacBook air?

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
  • Are you running el capitan on the 2013 yet?
  • The quad core I7 from the 2011 MacBook pro is faster in some situations than the 2013 MacBook air I7?
  • The screen of a 2011 MacBook pro is inferior to a 2013 MacBook air?
I think the 2011 one has a 1280x800 screen, no?

EDIT: Nvm, didn't see the 15"

hellopupy

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2016
Los Angeles
If I had a choice to do it again knowing what I know now, I probably would not get the mid-2013 MBA again. Don't get me wrong I love my MBA and except for slight regret not getting something more powerful (I have the 1.3GHZ i5) and complete regret for not getting a bigger hard drive (I have 128GB), the biggest issue for me today is that I really want the retina.

The MBA has done me well, if you're not that picky about screen clarity and don't necessarily need retina, get the MBA.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
If I had a choice to do it again knowing what I know now, I probably would not get the mid-2013 MBA again. Don't get me wrong I love my MBA and except for slight regret not getting something more powerful (I have the 1.3GHZ i5) and complete regret for not getting a bigger hard drive (I have 128GB), the biggest issue for me today is that I really want the retina.

The MBA has done me well, if you're not that picky about screen clarity and don't necessarily need retina, get the MBA.

I think I'll look for a deal on a retina macbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.