Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pierofrezza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2015
Italy
Hi everyone, I have some problems with Feedback Assistant app on Sierra (and also on iOS 10).

In Sierra, after I finished editing my feedback and attach all the files (including system diagnose, system info...), when I send it the upload starts, but about 1-2 minutes later an error appear on the screen saying "timeout connection" or something like that, even if my internet is fully working...

Same problem on iOS 10, but with a little different behavior...no problem in editing and attaching files, but when I send the feedback, the upload status circle starts to fill, and after some time it restarts from the beginning without uploading anything, like a loop...moreover, Feedback Assistant always fill the disk space, leaving the device without free space...the only action I can do is logout from the Assistant to save disk space, but the upload problem is still there...

I hope I made it clear...any suggestions? Thanks :)

pierofrezza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2015
Italy
Also with the Public Beta 3 I can't send the feedbacks through the app...how can I send my feedbacks to Apple? You know some other ways to do this?

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… attach all the files … "timeout connection" or something like that …

Without breaking confidentiality, can you list the names of all those files? Including the extension to each file name, please.

… some other ways to do this?

For this public beta, did Apple offer a web interface for feedback? (Does your logged in view of https://beta.apple.com/ lead to that interface? I can't tell.)

Maybe better to ask in the relevant sub-forum.

pierofrezza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2015
Italy
Without breaking confidentiality, can you list the names of all those files? Including the extension to each file name, please.

The files are just the system diagnostic, the system profile and eventually my screenshot and/or screen recordings of the bugs I found...

For this public beta, did Apple offer a web interface for feedback? (Does your logged in view of https://beta.apple.com/ lead to that interface? I can't tell.)

Unfortunately no web interface, going to that website there's only a kind of tutorial of how to provide feedbacks through the Feedback Assistant app...

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Thanks.

Amongst the items of feedback that you now try to send: did you begin to draft any item before an update to the operating system?

screen recordings

What software was used for the recordings, and in what format is each recording saved?

Amongst those recordings: is any one file unusually large? If so, what's the size?

pierofrezza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2015
Italy
Thanks.

Amongst the items of feedback that you now try to send: did you begin to draft any item before an update to the operating system?

I begin drafts before updating only a couple of times, but even creating a new feedback report from scratch after an update, the problem remains the same...

What software was used for the recordings, and in what format is each recording saved?

Amongst those recordings: is any one file unusually large? If so, what's the size?

I use QuickTime (also for iOS connecting my iPad) to record the screen, and I also export the recordings with QuickTime using the 720p profile...

The exported recordings never goes over 10MB, and the problem is there even with a screenshot of a few kilobytes...

UPDATE: I think the problem is related to the system diagnostic file...I just tried it, and every time I attach the diagnostic, the upload fails...but without the diagnostic, the upload is running smoothly and the feedback is sent correctly, even with the other files (system profile and screenshot/videos) attached...

pierofrezza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2015
Italy
OK. What size is that .tar.gz file?

Here a few minutes ago I produced one (maybe my first time with Sierra) and the end result was more than 250 MB.

I just tried...the created file is about 125 MB...if I remember right, in the previous betas (like El Capitan and Yosemite) the diagnostic files have never been so big...

But there's more...I just submitted a feedback via iOS...with the diagnostic file attached...and it was sent just fine...maybe the problem I reported has been resolved server-side, at least for iOS?

Reactions: grahamperrin

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Thanks. Output from the following command:

sw_vers

16A269f or 16A2670f?

Size of attachment

Long ago there was a limit that quietly (not overtly) applied in some situations. Maybe 200 MB. But I see nothing relevant in Feedback Assistant help, so I assume that the service infrastructure was improved to avoid that limit.

Logging

Found but not read by me:
I was very familiar with Console in previous versions of OS X. With Sierra I have done no more than observe that there's relatively high noise.

pierofrezza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2015
Italy
Thanks. Output from the following command:

sw_vers

16A269f or 16A2670f?

Code:
ProductName:    Mac OS X
ProductVersion:    10.12
BuildVersion:    16A270f

Is the Public Beta 3, not the Developer Preview 4...

Size of attachment

Long ago there was a limit that quietly (not overtly) applied in some situations. Maybe 200 MB. But I see nothing relevant in Feedback Assistant help, so I assume that the service infrastructure was improved to avoid that limit.

I also thought the same thing...maybe they did a little tweaking to the infrastructure....

I was very familiar with Console in previous versions of OS X. With Sierra I have done no more than observe that there's relatively high noise.

What do you mean by "high noise"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.