Feedback from developers who have new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by samparmenter, Nov 1, 2016.

1. samparmenter macrumors 6502

I have a 5k iMac for working at home which is an amazing machine; 24gb ram, quad core i5, 512gb SSD.

I need to get a laptop for working when I am out of the office and I miss the ability to sit on the sofa in the evening with the missus while working / browsing so I am going to get a macbook.

I am mainly a web dev but do a fair bit of xcode. I used to have a 2013 13" macbook pro with 8gb ram and it got to the point where it simply wasn't fast enough for me which lead to the iMac.

Basically I am deciding between the non touch bar MBP now or wait for 6 weeks and get the touch bar one. I think the non touch bar one will be fine for my needs and I have no real need for the touch bar. TouchID is amazing on a phone because you are constantly authorising things on it, unlocking it but on a laptop thats just not a big deal.

Anyway, I am just hoping to get some feedback from people who have the new MBP already and are developers or at least heavy users of their machines. I would be getting the base spec with 16gb ram upgrade as that seems to be the main limiting factor in my work.

2. Barnfather macrumors regular

Barnfather

I've thought about getting the 16Gb upgrade too, but on reflection, if I need to do anything that heavy I will just use the iMac as that has the external screens/big screens anyway.

I can't actually think of much that would really require more than 8Gb on a 13", and struggle with the near £200 difference in cost to get 8 more Gb

3. theitsage macrumors 6502a

You should consider the touchbar if you do web development. TouchID is an integral part of Apple Pay. At one point or another, you need to test how that all works with the touchbar.

4. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Nobody HAS the touch bar model yet. So you'll have to wait a few weeks for those reviews to come in!

5. samparmenter thread starter macrumors 6502

Its all iOS dev I do so the touch bar stuff isn't really relevant for me in that sense. Are there no benchmarks out there for the 13" MBP w/touch bar yet.

The 16gb is for when I am running virtual machines as well as Chrome because as we all know, Chrome can eat half your ram on its own.

6. lympero macrumors 6502a

lympero

Have you tried running parallels with your mbp 13" ?
    Is it working fine with a dual core CPU?

7. el-John-o macrumors 65816

I've been running parallels just fine with a 2012 dual-core 2.5GHz MBP which is quite a bit slower than the new 2016 13".

8. nonm macrumors regular

nonm

I do use xCode and VS Code with my MBP 13 no touchbar and everything just flies. Should be enough for you if you are only into that.