Feedback from moderators when reporting/calling people out

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by racketeer71, Aug 27, 2011.

1. racketeer71 macrumors regular

Hi,

I've previously reported specific posts. Often they're removed. But I get no comment back.

Today I called a user out. The user in general started threads or replied to threads with posts containing some minor (relevant) information but with links to his own blog that contained another low amount of information. I called him out, and asked if he simply used MR to generate traffic on his blog and improve his page rank.

Now I see, that his latest thread (where I replied) has been removed. No comment from moderator, though.

My question is: Could the moderator not send a PM or something, when they act on a report? Just a simple "I agree. Removed thread/post." or something, that shows that one's "work" was appreciated and acknowledged to improve the forum?

(Today I spent some time looking for the thread in question, because I wanted to see what the guy replied, but couldn't find it)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Takes more time than it's worth, generally. If you really care you can bookmark the post and check back later. I'd rather have the mods actually doing their job instead of making people feel better about themselves.

3. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    That would be nice, but I agree with miles on this one. Let the mods concentrate on the real issues.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Quite honestly, with the volume of post reports and actions the Moderators take, this really isn't possible or feasible.

Post reports are appreciated, but individual responses can't be sent for each one

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The answer is in the sticky thread at the top of this forum. It tells how to contact the staff when you want a reply:
    Remember that at small team of volunteers is handling moderation of forums with over 10000 posts each day, so post reports must be handled efficiently. You can read stats on posts reports here.

6. 184550 Guest

Honestly, is this grade school? Do you need a pat on the back or an 'Atta Boy!'?

I report threads or comments that violate the rules because it helps the community; personally, that's enough of a 'reward' for me.

7. saving107, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Under Forum Rules "Instantly Bannable Offenses"

6. Trolling. Do not post in order to anger other members or intentionally cause negative reactions. For a given post, this can be a subjective call, but a pattern of such posting or an especially egregious case will get you banned.

How is it that a user for years continues to get his post closed or sent to wasteland, offers no contribution to the conversation and is always down raked, but yet still able to post?

Does a user need to be report x amount of times or by x amount of users before action is taken?

I have a specific user in mind (I won't post his name unless asked to), but I am just curious how this process works?

Edit:

The user I was referring to is now in Time-Out, so I guess my question has been answered. l'll leave my comment above un-edited just incase.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Trolling rule in particular is complicated. Oftentimes, people are just expressing their opinion in a too concrete way (i.e. stating them as facts). Since everyone is allowed to share their opinion, even if everyone hated it, it can be hard to draw the line of trolling.

In many cases, the trolling is borderline which makes it hard for us to give harsh sentences. It might be enough to warrant a post deletion/edit and a reminder but that is pretty much it. Giving TOs for borderline cases is questionable as the post is not clear trolling. Usually we end up documenting that anyway and saving it for future reference (for example, if it becomes a pattern, we have enough evidence to justify a TO).

There is no amount of post reports that is required. I would say we are fairly forgiving and everyone gets several chances before we start considering a permanent ban.

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Thanks for your reply.

I know that everyone has an opinion, and some people are just more vocal than others about it, but it just feels like some (handful of) users either get a joy out of posting nonsense or are oblivious to what they are doing. Either way, it just feels like they are not contributing to the conversation and often times derail the ongoing discussion.

A user like "Full Of Win" managed to stay on this forum for almost 4 years (and 2,600+ post) before getting Banned, and I never considered his post to be contributing, so I wasn't sad when I noticed Banned under his user name. The user I have in mind has been around since 2009 and has about 220 post, and every year likes to proclaim "i bet new iphone won't release because (current model iPhone) is the best model already , apple can't get better model."

I am aware of the Ignore List and I do use it, but I guess my question was just of curiosity, trying to understand how this forum functions.

So once again, thanks.

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you think a user has not made any useful posts, you could use the Contact form. That definitely gets our attention and means that we will have a better look at the user's whole posting history. You will also get a reply from an admin when you send a contact (although we can't reveal any details of moderation). Just don't overuse this, Q already has his hands full of contacts :p For some cases, where you think a user is escaping our scoop all the time it might be more useful that a post report though (as long as you provide good details and examples).

Reported posts tend to be handled routinely so unless the user has prior violations, it's likely that he won't get anything else but a reminder. Of course, you can ask us to take a look at the user's prior posts in a post report too (links to example posts would be appreciated too), but a contact would definitely wake us up.

For long time users with thousands of posts, this gets harder though since there is so much to go through. Plus, at least I assume the user has done something useful if he has thousands of posts and not many user notes.

Like I said, we are still fairly forgiving so usually users are given several TOs before a permanent ban is applied. Feedback is always very welcome, that is the best way to get things changed :)