Feedback needed for giveaway contest idea

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by HotSeat, Dec 5, 2011.

1. HotSeat macrumors newbie

We are releasing a new iPhone app this weekend called HotSeat, a multiplayer trivia game where you earn points not only for what you know, but also for accurately you judge what your friends know.

We want to run a contest to giveaway free copies of our app. Here's our idea, but we'd love to get some input on it or other ideas for running a giveaway.

1. Person posts about our app to their Twitter timeline or Facebook page (ex: Check out this new app game, HotSeat; there's a free giveaway for HotSeat game, etc.).
    2. That person or friends takes a snapshot of the post and emails it to us along with their email address for iTunes.
    3. We gift them a free copy of the app, up to 5 people per unique post; limit 100 free copies total.

2. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

How do you give away free copies of the app? Gift cards?

FYI, there are some specific requirements that apple has in the SDK agreement about contests. Make sure to abide by them.

The only thing someone has to do is make a fb post and send you an email? Not much of a contest.

3. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Can't he make serials in the iTunes store instead of Gift Cards.
    Not sure about the process, but I thought you can make free serials so people can download them.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Serials? Do you mean Promo Codes?

5. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

You're the man! That's what I meant.

6. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

I think you only get 50 Promo codes per version of the app. I'm not aware of a way to buy Promo codes to then give them away. Maybe that's possible. I'm pretty sure that Promo codes as they exist are not meant for a contest prize. Maybe someone knows better.

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Ah, upon re-reading, perhaps jnoxx meant "gifting the app", whereby the person is sent a redemption code (which is different than a promo code).

8. HotSeat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback!

Perhaps we should make sure to call it a "giveaway" rather than a contest. Our goal is to spread the word of our release and reward those who help. Any suggestions for meeting this goal are great.

Promo codes are only good for 4 weeks, but as dejo said, you can choose to "Gift an app" instead of buying it for yourself; you just need the person's iTunes email account (hence asking them to send us their iTunes email address).

It's not free to gift an app, but since we as the developers make back a good percentage of the sale, we consider it a small investment in marketing.

We'll be sure to check the SDK to make sure this conforms to the rules. thx