Feedback Needed: Retina Enabled Photography Site

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AlvinNguyen, Sep 13, 2012.

1. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I just got my site redone and launched for and I'm looking for some feedback on retina MBP users to see if everything is rendering smoothly (not pixelated) on my new site as well as to see if images are of a good size. Right now they're maxed out at 900px wide.

The landing page is an interesting one because it's a huge image (1900 wide) but that's still not enough for the retina display so I want to know if the landing page image looks good for you guys.

If you drag the window to be smaller it should automatically resize the images and if you make it really small it should load the "mobile" version.

www.alvinnguyen.com

Any feedbacks would be highly appreciated, my rMBP is currently with the genius bar so unfortunately I can't view it. Thanks guys!

If you see any "problems" would you please tell me what machine you're using (if not rMBP) and the browser / OS version. A screenshot would be excellent if that's not too much trouble.

2. Arcsylver macrumors member

Looks fantastic to me on my Base Model rMBP Alvin!!

Well done and excellent shots BTW.

3. leman macrumors G3

Looks great here.

BTW, great way to advertise :p

4. nontroppo, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

I tested it at 2880x1800 and 1440x900, and at full width on your landing page the main image scales well, it doesn't look soft. But your menu at 2880x1800 floats about 2/5ths in the page which doesn't look good IMO. I'd have it max-positioned more to the left to let your main image 'breathe' - your CSS can use media queries to change strategy for wider screens.

In your new works section, your menu position looks good because your content is centre positioned with a narrower width. Photos look fine, I can tell they are 72DPI because of the text appearance, more than the images. I'd be curious what they'd look like at 144DPI, I'm sure you can get them "crisper"...

Being pedantic, favicon could get a resolution update! :p

5. Cassadian macrumors regular

6. AlvinNguyen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow, great info! Thank you - those are all valid points, I'll email by developer and ask him to work on it. Eagle on that favicon :D

Note: if you add the site a as a web app the icon should be retina on ipad/iphone

----------

Haha thanks for looking it over. Not really trying to advertise as my clients wouldn't be on the board. Just looking for feedback in general. Thanks again!

7. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Your mobile users, especially those without wi-fi, might not be too happy...

It's a great layout overall, but those pics are M-A-S-S-I-V-E in size. Your monthly bandwidth allotment will get used up (depending on what your fees and service levels are), and so many photos on one page scrolling down -- even people with 25MBit connections will see sluggishness, and not to mention mobile users' data caps if they're not tethered to anyone's wi-fi connection...

A thumbnail page for each section might come in handy, rather than placing every hi-res photo in each section page to load at once. Especially for mobile users, with comparatively limited quotas (one monochromatic image read 500MB -- 500MB per image seems like nothing, but it will add up rather quickly, especially if a user has a 2GB (2000MB) data plan)...

Oh, the layout is clean and photos ARE absolutely gorgeous, but - arguably - making a menu option at the start for viewers to select might help as well. On my mobile device, I'm always bombarded from discussion forum sites, and some news sites, if I want to use "_____ for mobile devices". Especially for bandwidth (yours' and readers'/viewers'), that's the only nitpick I would worry about.

8. slirak macrumors newbie

The pics look great, but they're huge, both in terms of bandwidth and size. A bit pointless to do a rMBP optimization where every picture is larger than what can be viewed in full on an rMBP at native retina resolution (1440 x 900) IMHO.

EDIT: Not all of them are to big for the display. But many are.

9. AlvinNguyen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Don't worry guys - they load based on the screen size your device is. So if it's detecting you're on a rMBP it loads bigger images ;)

10. dade247 macrumors member

looks good on my MBPR, great photography.

I feel like i just visited two different sites once I click on the links to the pages.. maybe its just me but theres something that isnt clicking for me..

11. RealEyes macrumors regular

Looks so freaking good! Could you use an apprentice? :D

12. stevelam, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012

stevelam macrumors 65816

no it doesn't.

all your site is doing is scaling the same massive image to different dimensions. my iphone still loads the exact same giant image as my rmbp.

13. AlvinNguyen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Should be 900 px wide. That's about as small as I can go without making it too small for viewing purposes.