Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
Yesterday I replaced the battery in my iPhone 6. It works a lot faster than expected.

When I arrived at the Apple store, the tech ran a diagnostic test and reported that the battery was operating at 99%. This was not the battery charge since I could see the battery was half charged. I found the results of the diagnosis perplexing. This is my 3rd iPhone and I've found that historically the battery shows significant degradation after year 2. The tech asked if I ever performed a restore on the phone and I said, yes, about 2 times a year. The tech then suggested that changing the battery may not improve the performance. I chose to pay the fee and get the battery replaced.

The process took 10-15 minutes to check in with the Tech Rep and 1 hour to R&R the battery.

Results: The phone works considerably faster than before. I used to wait up to 5 seconds for the camera to come on and focus after hitting the camera app. This also applied to other apps. Apps now open 2-3 times faster than before.

Additional info:
11.9GB used of 16GB
Version 11.2.6
Apps added to iPhone - Uber, Vimeo, Sonos, Activity, Beddit

Reactions: Eddy Cally

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
This is my 3rd iPhone and I've found that historically the battery shows significant degradation after year 2.

I'm with you on that. I found that the battery degrades considerably sometimes after only a year or year and half. It sounds like the Apple tech really didn't want to change out your battery.

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
It appears the celebration was premature. The iPhone is returning to it's former, slow, self.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.