feedback on my mpg site please

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by twoodcc, Feb 28, 2009.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

http://tmac.podzone.net/mpg

please take a look at this site that i made. it is not perfect, but does basically what i wanted it to do. i made this in less than 2 days, but i had made another similar site to go by.

please let me know what you think about it, and how i can make it better.

thanks

2. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

oh yeah, if you don't want to register, then you can log in with 'guest' and the user and 'guest1' as the password.

thanks

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I'd suggest making the Car name box a drop-down to choose cars from the user's vehicles, rather than having them type it every time.

4. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the reply! and i agree with you!

but i'm not quite sure how to do that. i made all the html by hand (no dreamweaver or anything), so how would i make a drop down list full of stuff from a mysql database?

5. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

ok, so now when a user clicks on 'data' or 'stats', there is a dropdown list of vehicles that they have created. if they haven't created any, then it will say that in the list.

let me know if you think there's anything else that i can do to make it better.

i want to use better fonts, but how exactly do i do that? where is it pulling the fonts from? i'm running this off of 10.5 server

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Define the fonts as a CSS Style.

7. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the reply. i'm not sure how to do that. but i'll try to figure it out

8. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i've changed some of the fonts with internal CSS. let me know what you think so far. but i'm still trying to change some of the fonts also.

let me know if you have any ideas on colors/fonts/ or anything else that might make it look a little better

thanks

9. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

10. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

11. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

ok, so i'm having trouble getting my site to look better. can someone give me a better idea on how to do so? how can i make it look better while keeping the same functionality?

like look more like wordpress or something. please, right now it looks hideous !

12. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

13. ryanjm27 macrumors newbie

I'd suggest you lose the yellow on the homepage. It's too bright for me. If you want to modernize it a bit, try a subtle gradient background. But color choices are always subjective, so if you like it, keep it.

Are you using iWeb for this? If so, I think it makes adding typical CSS a bit difficult, but I havent used iWeb much.

Also, one other thing I noticed is that some of the images are being stretched. You may the HTML making them bigger than they are. It definitely looks a bit strange, so make sure you never stretch an image like that.

In general, you set the font right in the body of the css. Example:
    body {
    font-family:Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;
    }

Just replace those with the fonts you want. In this case, Verdana would be your first choice of font. If a visitor didn't have Verdana on their computer, it would then try Geneva. If Geneva wasn't available, then it goes with a simple sans-serif font. And since this is being declared right in the body, it would make all of the font on the site in Verdana, unless of course you specify differently in a different div.

Hope that helps...

14. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the reply :)

the yellow on the home page was just me testing the CSS.

i am not using iWeb. everything pretty much manual.

thanks, i got the fonts in CSS down (pretty much anyways).

i know that a few of the images are stretched a little, but i can try to fix that. mainly all the white part is bland and when i display the data in a table it looks like it's from 1995 or something