Feedback to Apple requesting Firewire and dedicated graphics

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Beric, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I just sent off feedback to Apple requesting both firewire and dedicated graphics in the Macbooks. If you feel the same, please write your own letter! http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbook.html

Here's my letter:
    -------
    Hello. I am a prospective customer of a new Macbook. However, I wanted to express my displeasure about the lack of certain critical features on the latest Macbook.

First of all: Firewire. On my current Macbook, I use Firewire for both Time Machine backups every single day, and for connecting my digital camera. Firewire is simply the fastest data transfer medium available. When backing up multiple Gigabytes on a TM backup, there is no time to sit around waiting for the backup to complete. I need it done as fast as possible, so I can get on the go again. As a student, I don't have time to wait around for a slower USB 2.0 backup to complete. And I need digital camera connectivity. I cannot afford to buy completely new devices simply to accommodate the lack of a firewire port.

The lack of dedicated graphics in the Macbook is also another disappointment. While the latest Macbook has updated integrated graphics, they are still nothing like dedicated graphics. As a college student, I enjoy playing 3D games in my free time. But as a relatively poor student at a community college, I cannot afford a $2000 Macbook Pro, which has dedicated graphics. Dedicated graphics exist as a build-to-order option in every PC $799 or greater. Why is there no build-to-order option for dedicated graphics even on the $1599 Macbook?

Thank you, Apple, for taking the time to read my comments, from a concerned prospective buyer.

2. mklnz macrumors regular

The 9400M scores higher than the discrete 8400M GS should be able to most games on low / medium nicely...

3. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

I sent a nastygram regarding the assonine decision to remove firewire, and the petty decision not to include backlit keys on the base Macbook

4. Beric thread starter macrumors 68020

Beric

For $1599 without BTO options, "low-medium" really isn't acceptable ;).

5. Beric thread starter macrumors 68020

Beric

Yup. I think calm, reasoned arguments might go a little further with Apple, but I definitely agree. Good point on the lack of a backlit keyboard on the base model as well.

6. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

So basically, you are telling Apple that you want a MBP for the price of a MB. And you can afford to drop $1200 on a computer to replace one that probably works just fine now, but a new digital camera is too expensive. Whatever.

7. Beric thread starter macrumors 68020

Beric

Sure. That's basically what I'm saying. However, saying I want a MBP for the price of a MB (which is actually perfectly reasonable based on PC industry prices) won't go over well with Apple. Saying that the MB should have firewire and dedicated graphics goes over a lot better.

And it's not so much the digital camera, as my backup drive. Regardless, no firewire is stupid (but again, I won't say that to Apple), as is no dedicated graphics BTO option.

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I sent feedback, I just wrote "firewire". They'll get the idea. Screw being polite, there's no reason why a $700 PC gets firewire and a $1600 mac doesn't!

9. Beric thread starter macrumors 68020

Beric

We all know why. ;)

10. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Apple isn't a PC industry, nor do they stick to PC prices. Maybe you're new to the whole Apple thing, but they've always made it a point to offer "premium" products than comparable PC's. I agree that sometimes the only thing premium on some of the products is price, but that isn't going to change, especially with the new (guessing more expensive) brick process. They HAVE upgraded the integrated graphics to an nvidia card instead of weak intel integrated chip. I thought that was a step in the right direction. But the lack of firewire sucks for everyone. There isn't even an express card slot to add like the MBP. That was a poor decision. Even a FW mini port would have been better than nothing.

11. Beric thread starter macrumors 68020

Beric

Just because something is the status quo doesn't mean it can't be changed. And who can change Apple more than the customers?

Are you honestly going to tell me that no dedicated graphics option in a $1599 computer is reasonable?

12. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Part of why Apple is so resistant to practicality is because there are a sizable number of fans who will support them no matter how impractical their products become.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

its been that way with the macbooks ever since they came out....the newer graphics is loads better. what excatly are you complaining about?

if you want dedicated graphics on a cheap computer then the apple solution is not for you sorry

now removing firewire is utterly stupid i agree there

i still believe that a macbook + console is better than a mbp in both gaming performance and price

14. Beric thread starter macrumors 68020

Beric

But that doesn't mean I can't ask Apple for what I want and wait and hope. :eek:

I happen to enjoy strategy games. I also don't have a TV. As such, there's no way I would get a console.

15. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I just know that less and less is separating the consumer Macbook from the Pro computers, and the inclusion of a dedicated gpu in a cheaper computer will completely destroy their 15" profits. From a financial standpoint, it doesn't make sense for them to do that. Think about it, who would buy the 15" if the cheaper 13" has the same feature set? I can understand your frustration, I was upset they dropped 400 from the pro. I just really don't think anything like that will happen in the near future. They would lose TONS of revenue without adding features to the 15" first to distinguish the line.

Also, just so you know, FW400=400mb/s USB2.0=480mb/s
    (USB 2.0 is faster than FW400 for TM backups)

16. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

While it's great that the OP wrote a letter to Apple, if I was on the receiving end I wouldn't take that letter very seriously. Here's why:

First, I for one am burned out about this "Poor College Student" BS. If you're such a poor student then why does one need a second Apple Macbook? Most students need a notebook for school work and most don't even have money to buy backup hard drives and above consumer level video cameras, let alone you're in the market for yet another Mac? Suspect.

Secondly, to say your a college student that needs to pass the time away by playing videogames which is why Apple should put dedicated GPU's in the Macbook shows that this "College Student" is not serious about using the Macbook for his educational needs.

Students are not the only ones that have limited funds and have financial responsibilities so your letter would hold a bit more water if you didn't use the poor college student card. Unless there's something wrong with you're current Macbook that you need to replace it your letter comes across as a slightly spoiled student who puts personal pleasure ahead of his educational needs.

17. Beric thread starter macrumors 68020

Beric

Actually, I'm a college student whose Macbook is just fine for all the work I do, but who wants to also play some games. I plan on selling my current Macbook if a new one were to come out. I saved up for about three years (through High School) to buy my current one. I don't see how that's unreasonable.

Also, I have separate accounts all my money I get goes into. 40% is college funds, 40% is expendable (and also gets used for thing like transportation) and 20% is charity.

Are you perhaps saying I shouldn't even have mentioned I was a "poor college student" (which I am)? I might buy that.

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

why not get a cheap pc laptop to supplement your current mb?

19. MrGando macrumors member

20. Beric thread starter macrumors 68020

Beric

Mainly because I would like to have everything on one laptop. I have considered that option of a separate PC, and will probably end up having to take it, but what I really want is one Mac that will do everything: from OS X (and I could easily make use of the extra power in OS X) to Windows for games. Basically, I don't want to have two computers, just one that does everything. And simply a MBP that cost more like what it was worth hardware-wise, or else a MB with good graphics, would solve that problem for me.

21. humblesound macrumors newbie

Thanks for posting that link-
    I will share with you my feedback to them.

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm pretty sure you're my favorite person right now.

I'm going to put it to the OP this way. When using my powerbook as a desktop replacement the FW was nice. However, since getting a desktop to replace said PB I haven't plugged anything that required FW into the PB in ages. Yes, FW is nice, but even the airport doesn't support an external drive via FW, so what's the point? I think if you step back and look at what is what you won't care so much about FW. The Air, in my opinion, changed the way we should think of mobile computing. I think attaching yourself to wires with a portable is silly ... despite me doing it for years.

As far as the dedicated GPU, really? It's unnecessary and if I were a true gamer I'd be buying a Windows PC, XBox or PS3.