Feel disappointed

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Con1750, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Con1750 macrumors newbie

So basically havent had my 2014 mBA 11" very long and feel a bit silly now the new ones have came out and the 13" model has got a rather large upgrade!

Anyone else feel the same and feel like selling their 11" already?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Were you happy with your MBA 11 before? If so try to understand that there is always something around the corner that people feel is better.

I have a fully loaded MBA 13 (2014) and could not be more happy. To me the 13" is the sweet spot for screen realestate.

3. Con1750 thread starter macrumors newbie

Its really my first mac experience, I was happy although I do feel it was a little small having come from a 17 inch laptop beforehand and several windows pcs, I do feel it is a little small but didnt really have the cash at the time and needed something to study with.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Going from 17" to 11" will take some adjustment but the 11" Air is very capable. You choices are going to cost money, you got to decide. If you have more funds now you could sell the 11" and buy the 13".

If I were you, I would relax and see how you feel in a few more weeks. There is no hurry is there?

5. Con1750 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess not, to be honest system performance wise currently I have been very impressed for such a small system, and it is an absolute pleasure to use, only gripe is really the size currently and also my palms sometimes brush the trackpad when typing, this can be irritating.

How well do macs hold their value? I actually paid a student price for it anyway so it was 15% off

6. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Both the 11 and 13 inch models were updated. I have the 2014 13 inch model and I have no reason to think about updating to a 2015 model for such minor improvements.

The 11 inch is a very nice machine. If you are not comfortable with the size, then you may want to sell it and pick up a 13 inch model. Only you can decide that.

7. Con1750 thread starter macrumors newbie

True they were both updated, but the 13 inch also got a much faster SSD whereas the 11 didn't

8. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

They hold their prices better than other non-Apple hardware.

Any differences in SSD speed will be hard to detect.

My hand will occasionally brush my trackpad, too. I use a wireless USB keyboard and mouse when working for long periods on my Air, that is just a preference of mine.

9. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I wouldn't worry about the increased SSD speed in the 2015 models. In real world usage you probably wouldn't notice a difference. The 2014 Air is a fantastic machine and should serve you well for a long time.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Don't worry about it. Your MBA is still well supported and works fine for you. Even if you sold your MacBook Air and got the upgraded one, in 6-12 months new models will come out and you'll be in the same boat again.

Focus on whether your current Mac is suiting your needs. If it is, then case closed.

11. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I have a 2013 11" MBA and feel absolutely no desire to replace it with a 2015 model. But if you've decided you don't like the 11" screen, that's another matter…. ;)

12. Con1750 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies and helpful comments, its not that I don't like the screen, I guess i'm just not that used to it yet, as I said i've never used particularly small screens.

Im looking at getting a monitor for home use and picking up an apple keyboard and trackpad as I love the gestures.

13. motrek macrumors 68020

Nope, if anything the rMB makes me happier about having my 11".

My MBA is faster than the rMB. It has essentially the same size screen. (11.6" vs. 12".) By default, it has more screen real estate. It is only a small amount heavier and larger. It has a faster CPU, more ports, and more key travel.

It depends on what you're looking for and what you value, and I'm not going to argue that the 11" MBA is better at everything than the rMB because it isn't, but I think it's the better computer for me.

14. newellj macrumors 601

I agree with these three. The only place you'd likely notice that difference is when you boot the machine up.

----------

All true...but a better screen really would be a plus...

15. Con1750 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just for reference i'm not referring to the new macbook, more to the new macbook air, not really interested in the new macbook due to its weak cpu and lack of I/O although it does look very nice the price tag doesnt feel right when you can buy a pro for less anyway.

16. motrek macrumors 68020

Oh right, whoops.

The 2015 MBAs aren't that big an upgrade vs. the 2014 models.

Apple made a big deal about the SSD being twice as fast in the new 13" model, but when was SSD speed a bottleneck for you? The things were already crazy nuts fast anyway, I'm never waiting on the SSD in my 2014.

17. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

My MBA is an i5 from 2011 and I have no reason to buy a new one- it's performance is still excellent for my needs.

Giving into "b-b-b-b-b-but there's a NEWER model now!" mania is a way to make a quick trip to the poorhouse.

18. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I have an 11" 2013 i7/8gb/512gb MBA and still completely happy with no plans to upgrade. I ugraded from a 2011 13" MBA and really prefer the 11", it's the perfect size for travel.

I'm sure the 2011 is fine for many people, but there have been a few very significant upgrades since then. USB 3.0 is arguably the biggest one, it gives you access to much faster external disks. And 802.11ac wifi is also much faster, but you need a compatible router to take advantage of it.

In 2011 was the maximum available RAM was 4gb and max SSD was 256gb. Again, not a problem for people that don't run demanding software, but I do video and audio editing and appreciate having 8gb/512gb. :)

19. Con1750 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a pretty funny quote and I guess a good way to some up the issue, will be keeping the air 11" for now.

20. Cjshino macrumors regular

funny because I went from the 13' MBA to the 11" MBA. I also had the 13' rMBP but returned it. I'm happy with the 11' mba

21. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

My air is my "drag to work in case I need my personal stuff" laptop- my main one is a 2012 2.6GHz i7 with 16 gigs of RAM. :) If I did video and audio editing, no way would my Air work, but for what I bought it for, it is still an excellent machine. :apple:

22. ApplNat macrumors member

ApplNat

I love my 2013 13" MBA (8g ram/ 256g HD) and am very glad I got it. It's a workhorse for me, the computer I want to use all the time. My others are Windoze laptops and... no thank you. MBA for the win! :cool:

23. Merkyworks, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015

Merkyworks macrumors 6502

Have a 11" mid 2012, 2.0 i7, 8GB ram and 265ssd.

Usage is not heavy (no movie editing stuff) but I can hook it up to my 27" 2560x1440 and run parallels/windows 7 programs on that screen and still have OSX programs running on internal screen without any issues. I also have daisy chained a 2TB HHD with thunderbolt so using USB 3.0 ports does not matter to me, so basically my little 11" has more than enough power for me.

24. Rigby macrumors 601

I have a mid-2013 MBA 11". I think it is still the best ultraportable laptop you can buy (and that includes the new Macbook). I take it whenever I can especially when traveling. The 2015 SSD-upgrade would rarely be noticeable because OS X is pretty good when it comes to caching files in RAM (where access is orders of magnitude faster than either the old or new SSD). So, don't worry about it and enjoy the machine. ;)

Only if you really have problems with the display size I'd consider trading it for a 13-incher. But the 11" is much better in tight spots due to its small footprint (especially on airplanes).

25. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

No because I didn't want the 13 inch model. I prefer the smaller device. My last laptop was a 15 inch dell laptop. I found it too cumbersome and rarely used it. I needed something small and light so the 11 inch air was perfect. Its highly portable if I want to take it out.

The new 11 inch MBA isn't much of an upgrade over the 2014 model. Therefore even though I bought my MBA only 2 weeks before the new one was announced I'm not bothered. The 13 inch 2015 MBA maybe a significant upgrade over last years model but I'm not interested in it.

The new MacBook interests me even less. It's underpowered compared to my MBA and lacks connectivity ports. Sure the retina display is nice but the trade off is not worth it imo.