feel like a criminal

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iddicted, May 5, 2008.

1. iddicted macrumors newbie

I purchased my iPhone through a friend visiting US a while back (my current location FYI is Central Asia) (with a strange AT&T) sim thing backup which costs an extra 100bucks. My iPhone has given me much pride and joy since.

Since I've purchased this shiny wizard, my friends have started to purchase it in anyway they can, buying it off black market, threatening a friend visiting from the US etc. etc.. one friend even became quite obsessed about purchasing it.. which really was a sight to see..

However, it has caused me so much trouble as well. Traveling to a CDMA country totally screwed it up for me. I thought I was ready for it, but had to carry 3 Phones. 1 CDMA phone to make phone calls, 1 iphone, (cause I just can't seem to live without it out of my sight now and the camera and music all in one) and an extra blackberry I was using prior to iphone as for some strange reason, my iphone hid all my contacts and everytime I tried to access it, it just went back to the main screen. I figured it out somehow by the end of my two weeks trip...

ANYWAYS, I can't help but feel like a criminal. All this jailbreaking, no updates, no service outside the country, (I went into a mac shop to ask them help me with this problem and they just dismissed me cause they don't sell it in CDMA countries) This is starting to make me feel like I am a criminal. Like using a stolen phone and using it with shame. Am I the only one? We should also have the proper rights and dignity and get the same respect!!

Someone please put a stop to this!!!!!!

2. sparkyms macrumors 65816

I'd imagine its a bit hard to get service and help for the phone but then again the people in the shop have probably had no training so wouldn't know where to start, or how to repair the phone should it need it...

3. doobi18 macrumors 6502

I don't feel one bit like a criminal.

Apple is still yet to release the iPhone here (Australia) and I took the liberty of importing one from the US last December.

My iPhone is fully functional on the GSM network Telstra, on the latest OS, with all features working (apart from visual voicemail of course).

My view is that if you are going to use an iPhone as it wasn;t intended to be used, then you need to understand it and be able to service it yourself - no buying preunlocked phones.

----

Whatever the problem is with your iPhone - just restore it to 1.1.4 and iLiberty unlock it - that'll fix it

Obviously you'll need a second CDMA phone sometimes, but I don;t see the need for the crackberry.

doobs

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So you went into an Apple store in a country where there is no iPhone sold and a store that never probably saw an iPhone and wanted them to help with hacking your iPhone and fixing it? :D
    And you're suprised they dismissed you?

5. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Cut him some slack. He can't help that he caught the virus and Apple has refused to help him alleviate symptoms. That iphone bug is spreading like wildfire.

6. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

I totally agree with you. I got my iPhone, unlocked it myself (back in the 1.0.2 days) and have used it joyfully ever since. I feel pain for those who buy the phone preunlocked for them and are screwed (monetarily at first obviously) afterwards for choices they didn't make. I feel comfortable that I can fix my phone anytime, and that if anything happens to it I have no one to blame but myself.

7. isianto macrumors regular

Just want to ask you guys some questions, I know it's been discused in the mailing list, and just want to clarify. I am not in US, I'm in Indonesia, and wants to buy iphone. My questions is if I buy from US store online ( I have an american credit card) and send it to an american address, do the apple store add some fees/cost/price for the AT&T contract?
    I'm interested in buying 8 and 16G for my wife and myself. Please tell me... thanks

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, they dont add any hidden fees or contracts. Thats done when you activated thru Itunes.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, but theres tons of sites and programs out there that would make the unlocking/hacking very easy with step by step instructions.

10. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, you didn't do anything illegal so stop worrying. Of course, it's always nice to be legit, but you chose the iPhone.

11. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

You didn't do anything illegal, but you also have no right to expect Apple to support you in any way, whether it be software upgrades or repair support. That is why you shouldn't go down the unlocking road unless you REALLY understand what you are doing and are aware of the possible consequences of your actions. Unfortunately, there are far too many uninformed people buying iphones on ebay and running into problems.

12. corrado7 macrumors regular

corrado7

This is a limiting belief that exists in your mind. You are the only one that can change that. For God's sake its just a phone:rolleyes:

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

To travel outside of supported countries, you need to install "international fix" for your iPhone.

What you experienced is phone app crashing when outside of supported countries.