Feel like killing my Retina 5K iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by intz2nu, Jan 31, 2016.

1. intz2nu, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016

intz2nu macrumors 6502

intz2nu

Guys I've made a thread if memory serves me right sometime ago a while back regarding a Blue Screen issue while watching HD youtube clips while being booted into Windows 7 through Bootcamp. Anyway my issue still persists till this day. I think I'll give a little bit of background information before going into detail as to exactly what happens.

First off this is a mid 2015 27" Retina iMac. I use Windows 7 through Bootcamp. I also have the "Apple Software Update" in the Windows Partition up to date with no major critical updates lurking for me to install.

Now the above being said this is what happens. While watching certain HD video clips on youtube I will either go straight into a Blue Screen with an error message and some sort of timer at the bottom of the screen alerting me that in x amount of seconds my system will be shutting down then the computer automatically reboots. Now having said this there is times when watching HD clips where instead of getting the dreaded blue screen of death the screen just goes black or blank and the computer shuts down completely and does not reboot like when I would get the blue screen, instead I need to press the power button to turn the computer back on.

I should also mention that during some of the HD youtube clips there is times when the video gets a bit "choppy" if you will where its like pixels or bits and then renders out to be normal again, these clips are also at times clips that will result in me having a blue screen or the entire computer just shutting down like mentioned above.

I will also mention that this was apparent when I first got the computer and used Windows 7 through Bootcamp. I figured and said to myself maybe I should do a whole new reinstall of both Mac OS and Windows along with a whole new download of the support drivers well, this was done and it did nothing what so ever to fix or solve the issue. So this being said, I said to myself maybe I should try to update the AMD video card drivers. Now this is where things get a bit interesting when trying to do so both from the AMD catalyst control center and or via AMD's website I follow the prompts with the download and install then right at the end of everything being installed I get a AMD Install Manager message window that pops up and tells me "We are unable to find a driver for your system. No Supported AMD hardware was detected".

So having shared the above info with you folks I thought to myself maybe I have a faulty video card or something along the lines? Well when booted into Mac OS and watching the same clips that I would run into the above mentioned issues, the clips when watched while booted into Mac OS plays PERFECTLY fine, no shut downs, no bit like pixel rendering, none of that stuff just perfectly fine. Currently I am out of ideas as to what causes the blue screens and the monitor going blank then shutting down or how and why sometimes these certain clips get a bit of choppy pixel-ish with it needing to render out a little before it continues onto playing smoothly.

Would anyone here know an idea as to what causes this? A fix for it? or if and or why my AMD software can't be updated? At this point I really do feel like killing my iMac given how often it happens while watching certain HD clips in youtube while being booted into Windows 7 through Bootcamp.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 31, 2016 ---
    Oh also folks here would be one clip that I run into issues watching that fits the bill of what I'm describing above.

Maybe whoever has a Retina 27" iMac that uses Windows booted through Bootcamp can give the above clip a try to see if they run into any of the issues I mentioned above.

Adding another Note that 99% of the time this happens is when watching the clips in "Full Screen" mode on youtube. Just thought I'd add that last bit of detail in here as well.

2. dimme macrumors 65816

I have run windows and bootcamp on many macs and it has always been a compromise. I have found for the best windows experience you need a windows PC. My latest mac is a late 2015 5K iMac, I tried Windows 10 an the experience was so poor I deleted the partition and went to VM with fusion. For me I done with bootcamp, luckily I don't need to use Windows much anymore.

3. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

Thank you for that info (not much of a help) but I'm pleased you're happy without using Bootcamp. On another note I ran Windows 7 using Bootcamp on a late 2010 27" iMac with no issues what so ever and I personally enjoyed it. Sadly it doesn't seem to be the case with the Retina iMac.

4. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

The 5k iMac is a bit of a special case since it has some very specific hardware to make the 5k screen work properly, so it's not a surprise that the Windows drivers would be flakey (especially AMD's drivers). All other Macs using bootcamp just have standard display port links to their screens from the GPU and you can use the standard windows drivers with fewer problems. It's the specific nature of the 5k screen that is causing your problems I think.

5. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

Ahh sadly this is also what I figured too that its a bit of an isolated or not too much of a known issue that most would be aware and that it was most likely because of the higher resolution. I guess I thought to myself maybe others here might also be aware or have had some of the issues mentioned above.

6. ScorpionT16 macrumors member

Could also depend on your browser, try using firefox or explorer (If you using chrome) and see if the issues persist.

If it really bother you, you can always use parallels or something, then use the browser on the OS X side. I don't see why you would feel like killing your beautfiful Apple 5K iMac, for not running Microsoft Windows software properly, even that just full screen videos. Considering Microsoft doesn't even support or have a Bootcamp equivalent for OS X (Hackintoshes aside). You buy an Apple for OS X, no guarantees with Microsoft on it ;)

7. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

I guess it depends on the user's experience, for me I have no problem with bootcamp and Windows 10 on my 27" iMac 5K (Late 2014). Though what probably saved my bacon was that I have 30+ years on using Microsoft OS and for the last 10 years built my own Windows Base PCs. I found the trick is to get Windows running as smoothly as possible before installing any applications/games on it and when I do I just install one app at a time. That way it narrows the debugging if something goes astray.

8. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

windows 7 is not officially supported on bootcamp. time to move on.

9. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Try Windows 10. I don't think your model is supported with 7.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Time to upgrade to windows 10 I'm afraid.

As others stated, running windows on a mac is a mixture of options and sacrifices. Tbh, I found the experience in my iMac to be a bit lacking compared to my MBP. I think partly because of the high resolution and window's scaling options. I've since removed my bootcamp partition and moved on to using virtualization.

11. George Dawes macrumors 6502

George Dawes

Never understood people buying a Mac and using windoze on it instead of os-x , even at home

Like buying a bugatti veyron and filling it with diesel

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

lol, it isn't 1990 where people call windows, "windoze" Win10 is a solid product that has many advantages over OS X. I use both. While you may not care for it, others do.

13. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Yeah, it is rather a stretch to run Win 7 in bootcamp on a 5k. Especially to watch YouTube. Huh?

If you have some legacy software or other stuff that can only run in Win 7 (and that's often due to driver issues, 32bit, yadda yadda) then consider either a cheap old Win 7 laptop or or virtualization; then you can run it and still watch YouTube with modern software.

14. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

Folks this machine is not only used as a "Mac". This machine run's my small bench top CNC mill which uses the USB ports at the back for control. The highest version of Windows that my equipment will run on is Windows7. As for YouTube clips? well between my milling I often go back and forth between windows to look at some How To clips on youtube that pertains to the work that I'm doing a lot of the times so this is mainly what I use my machine for.

Between the running of my CNC milling machine and watching clips on youtube along side of the work that I do is some what pretty critical if you will. I guess maybe its time that I pick up a Win7 PC for use with my equipment given the replies here.

15. cynics macrumors G3

Its not really that confusing, some people need software that is proprietary to each OS.

16. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

What program do you use for your CNC machine? How old can the program be?

17. tyche macrumors 6502

Very few programs that run on Windows 7 won't run on 10. Sometimes you just have to set the compatibility mode on the .exe. It sounds like there is device driver needed for the usb cnc connection so maybe that is the issue.

Another option is run the Windows 7 inside a vm. The USB port should pass through just fine.

18. ZipZap macrumors 601

I buy Apple because I like the hardware, not for OSX. I think OS X sucks. Most of the world is Windows centric.

19. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

The CNC mill uses Mach 3 and sadly Mach 3 alone also needed to be modified a bit to even get to run with Windows 7. Mach 3 itself is a bit dated and was never met to run with Windows 7 though the merchant I purchased my mill from had a special package that includes detail tutorials on how to make everything work with Windows 7. Mach 3 was mainly made for running with old PC's that had the parallel port at the back so modifications and a bit of hacking was made to get the drive motors and control box to be able to use the USB ports instead and also made to be used on Win7.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 6, 2016 ---
    This fits the bill with me as well. Though I won't say or don't think personally that OSX sucks but there is A LOT more apps that just seem to look a bit more aesthetically pleasing on Windows 7. And I too think Apple's hardware is just THE BEST on the market, very well built and an overall quality product. When you got Windows on it its probably the most FINEST PC you could ever have IMO. I just wish that Windows would run a little better in some areas when used on a Mac.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 6, 2016 ---
    Guys I just seen this post on the front page and was curious if any of you here think that this could also be the issue that I have with my iMac?

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/02/06/late-2013-mac-pro-video-issues-repair-program/

I know it relates to the Mac Pro and I'm not sure what video hardware the Mac Pro has or came with during that period however this Retina iMac was purchased middle of last year (sometime in May of last year to be exact).

20. MadDane macrumors 6502a

It is two very different video cards. No need to worry about that.

21. iDave4321 macrumors newbie

iDave4321

I had a similar problem, although not on Bootcamp or Windows, but blue was displaying on videos / movies when there was meant to be solid black across a specific line, I think both the LCD panels and maybe video card was replaced under apple care

22. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

Mine is a blue screen with error messages then it goes to a force reboot. But when the screen just goes black or blank the computer shuts down and i need to turn it back on manually vs a reboot.

23. iDave4321 macrumors newbie

iDave4321

Is it still under Apple Care? Definitely sounds like something to be looked at in store, I think mine did something similar when it got worse ; although it was showing lines in different Colours and the image was broken up and distorted and maybe error message too, I would make a time machine backup in the meantime too

24. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

yes yes sometimes youtube clips would become "pixelated" if you will like the video would become broke and go to pixels then render out smoothly again. Sadly being this is something thats happening while being booted into Windows they don't offer any kind of support for the issue, they offer support to an extent with Bootcamp but not any kind of faults while running Windows.

25. iDave4321 macrumors newbie

iDave4321

Hmm I guess it's worth keeping aware that there could be a deeper issue, and putting it through the full work out on OSX to see if you can duplicate the problem to test / prove it is hardware? If not hopefully the next upgrade patches the issue, If you haven't already I would check all upgrades across both OSX and windows are up to date :)