Feeling good (no regrets) about my 16gb order

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jackintosh, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

I know the case has been made many times here about how we need greater storage for games, movies, books, music, apps, etc. And it's a good case. But as also mentioned here, it all depends on your situation.

My case for example. I ordered a 16gb wi-fi iPad and never intend to travel outside the home with it. My interest is streaming/viewing internet and listening to music. My stored content (library/collection) is mostly music that resides on my Mac Mini.

Also bought the new Apple TV. With that, I can stream all my music (and movies) to my audio system and HDTV from the main computer (Mac Mini) which has 320gb storage. Nothing (except apps) needs to reside on the iPad.

So in my case, anything bigger than a 16gb would have been a waste of money. I wonder if others have similar situations in being happy with their 16gb decision.

2. Photography, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

I'm happy with my 16gb decision. I've always had Apple products (iPads, iPods, and iPhones, but not Macs, as I purchase Macs with the highest HD space available) in the lowest gb format offered (whether it be 8gb or 16gb). I have never regretted my decision, and have always been pleased due to the fact that I don't even come close to filling up the base model. I also load the base models with thousands of songs, hundreds of photos, and hundreds of apps (but no movies), and I always have several gb of space left over.

3. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

After reading some of the reviews about the storage and what took up 20GB on one guy's iPad. I am a small bit concerned. I am not going to sweat it until I load up my preferred apps and see what I have to work with at that time.

Pointless to regret what you don't even have your hands on yet.

I am a sad panda though, my order is still in processing even though it says it will be delivered on the 21st....

4. dsc888 macrumors 6502

Same here guys. I've always bought the 16 Gb Wifi and never had storage issues. I am more of a casual user and really only use the iPad for web, light gaming, and media streaming such as Netflix. I have a MacPro for my video and photo editing and Macbook Air for when I want to type up something long.

And since I upgrade yearly, it makes things a bit less costly. I gave my iPad 2 to my son and he's thrilled beyond belief.

5. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

DITTO with the 16 GB. No regrets, and if someday I want to venture out with the iPad, I'll entertain the thought of perhaps the 4th generation version w/32 GB and 4G, but for now, I'm happy. ;) :apple:

6. rkahl macrumors 65816

7. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, I have no regrets with my 64GB purchase, primarily because that's as big as it gets.

I was about to start a whole new thread for the no regret 64GBers, but decided to spare my fellow MacRumorers the agony, and decided to share my lack of regret in this thread... :eek:

9. Richard8655 macrumors 6502

Misery? I'd say contentment in knowing your needs and making the right choice. Having regrets with the larger purchase?

10. madat42, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

madat42 macrumors regular

Well at first I thought the same with the iPad2, that 16GB would be good enough. Eventually, I exchanged it for a 32GB model because I wanted to be safe and after my first week using my iPad2, I knew I was going to do more than just browse the web and play sudoku. No regrets upgrading, just relief really. Got my essential apps, games, magazine subscriptions, pics, and movies pushing 20GB. Not sure how'd you regret having extra storage space versus not having any more space.

With the new iPad, I'd only consider starting with the 32GB model because the Retina Display is only going to push app size bigger since you're doubling the resolution. You can count on developers taking advantage of the screen and horsepower. That's the downside for us non-retina iPad owners - a lot of our universal apps will surely get updated with retina graphics which we can't take advantage of, but we'll get dinged on the space it takes up. Makes me even more confident in my 32GB decision. Just my 02.

11. Saberon macrumors 6502a

I was worried when the post about sizes increases came, but after looking at it again I'm fine.

I don't watch movies/TV shows or have magazine subscriptions. I have very few pictures, I mostly surf the web/play games. If I tripled the size of all my essential apps on my device I'd still have 8GB left over (assuming I have roughly 13GB formatted space to begin with)

Should I have bought the 32 for growing room? Yeah probably but I'm not gonna wait 4 weeks to do an exchange online, I'll go enjoy the $100 I saved somewhere else. :D

12. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

^THIS

Look no further than the file size for the iWork apps. They went from:
    Numbers: 109MB > 283MB
    Keynote: 115MB > 327MB
    Pages: 95MB > 269 MB
    iMovie: 70MB > 404MB

16GB may very well still work for you, but there's no question that a 16GB iPad '3' won't hold as many apps as a 16GB iPad 2 previously did. And the same holds true for the iPad 2 as well - you get those file size increases whether you have a retina display or not.

Don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but 32GB is the new 16GB. Again, that may still work for you, but it also may not.

13. badpinoy macrumors regular

it all comes down to how many apps do you actually use. on a weekly i probably don't use half the apps on my iPhone.

14. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

I'm fine with my 16GB order. I use Pandora, Spotify, etc for music and Hulu for shows and movies. If I did download a movie or show, I'd watch it then remove it. Also, the wifi HDD for the iPad is going to be great.

If you stream all your content, I think 16GB will suffice.

LOL at people that have 20+GB of music and listen to the same 10 songs.

Plus it all depends on your uses and everyone is different. 16, 32, 64 doesn't matter. The new iPad is goon to be sweet no matter what.

15. negatv1 macrumors 6502

My reasoning behind buying the 16gb wifi version:

- I stream most my music. Don't maintain a library on the iPad.

- I dont keep my image library on my iPad.

- I have lots of books (kindle), lots of .pdf's. But those dont take up much room and all the apps that I used on my iPad fit well within the 16gb of my iPad2.

- I had 3G with my iPad 1. Never used it. And thats when there was an unlimited rate plan unlike the awful plans out now. Have tethering with my phone should I have to absolutely get online with my iPad somewhere.

- This will not be the be-all-end-all purchase of my life. There will likely be another iPad at some point in time, at which time I will re-evaluate.

This, of course, is my preference based on my experience. Yours may vary. Buy what you need/want.

16. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

There's also no question that not everyone uses the same apps...

That's the moral of the story.

17. H-B0mb macrumors member

I had ordered a 16GB model which is due for delivery tomorrow. But after reading news of apps being larger in size I decided to order a 32Gb model today.

I guess I get to play with the 16GB model for 2 weeks before I have to return it.

18. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Well my thoughts on that are that your past experience doesn't necessarily translate to wha

(Message not completed due to lack of available data.)

BJ

19. elmz macrumors regular

I bought a 16GB iPad and I hope it will be sufficient. But we'll all have to wait and see after a few months of usage to truly find out. If you are truly happy with your decision, why start a thread about it? It just comes off like your justifying something you're not "truly happy" with, I'm just sayin :D

20. MyPad macrumors member

Personally, I think people shouldn't be quite so worried at this point over the reports that apps have gotten bigger for the iPad. 16GB is manageable if you do it right.

I'm going from the iPad (1) to the iPad (3). My iPad (1) is 16GB. That consisted of 7GB of apps. However, I also had about 163 apps on it. I kept only a few pictures, no music (I keep music on my iPhone), and no movies. However, I was able to load 2 or 3 movies at at time. When I was done with them I just removed them. I never really dropped below 5GB free on the iPad at any given time. Besides, everything is becoming more "cloud based" these days. The idea is to stream, and pull/store content in "the cloud", making your device less and less reliant on having all the physical storage space.

You'll be ok, don't sweat it.

21. d0vr macrumors 6502a

I'm honestly considering lining up in the hope of buying a 16gb, and then seeing if it sells at a profit on ebay/gumtree/etc. If it does, woo, I'll upgrade to a 32gb when more are available. If not, i still have an iPad.

22. kaibob macrumors regular

I have little direct knowledge on this topic, but I have read a few articles that the above is the case--that the install size of iOS 5.1 and of all iPad apps are the same on an iPad 1 as on an iPad 3. If that's the case, and if the size of apps increase as predicted, it would appear that many 16-GB iPad 1's and 2's may not be very useful to their owners.

Some people are using Pages and Numbers to gauge the expected increase in size of all apps, and I'm not sure that is reasonable. Pages and Numbers contain extensive templates with large graphics that consume huge amounts of storage space at the new resolution. That will not be the case with many other apps.

I currently have 12.1 GB free on my iPad 1 and this is with iOS 5.1 and the new versions of Pages and Numbers already installed. Even if the remaining apps triple in size, which seems highly unlikely, I will still have almost 10 GB of free space. So, I suspect I will be fine with my new 16-GB iPad.

23. Lunchbox700 macrumors regular

Yea I have no problem getting the 16gb for my wife most she will always have her iPhone with her, and probably 90% have a computer near so she really doesn't need a lot of stuff on her iPad. Will she have to manage her space yes but shell be fine. Plus this is her first one and didn't want to get a huge one for her first.

Plus if it comes to the fact hers is to small she can give it to me and well buy her a new one :)

24. madat42 macrumors regular

So the 16GB is the new 8GB that never was :eek:. Seriously, whatever you folks choose, have fun with it you lucky SOBs!!! :D

25. HeySamantha macrumors member

I think I should be okay with my 16GB iPad3. my iPhone4S is 32 and I'm only using like.. 10GB. 7 of that is music.