Feeling guilty about wanting to buy an xbox360...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Apocrathia, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Apocrathia macrumors 6502

So my roommate is trying to off his 360 because he plays his ps3 more. i have a lot of friends who play on live and love it, but i don't know if i'd enjoy it. i have a ps3 right now and i never even touch it. my roommate uses his for the bluray player nonstop, i have a mac mini and a drobo for all of my movies.
    i don't really even play video games anymore, and i don't know if it's because i have nothing good to play on the ps3 or if it's that i've just grown out of it (which i think is just an absurd idea). i'm not really into fps's which is a problem as well, since everything is an fps now.
    so i have a few friends trying to convince me to get the 360, but i sort of feel guilty of the idea of owning anything by microsoft. i know they're not the devil, i think their gaming division is the only part of the company left that has a soul, i just feel sorta guilty for wanting anything from microsoft after growing up on linux and now using macs for the past few years and avoiding anything microsoft.
    i even own a sony tv, which makes it feel even more awkward... it's not like i'd be getting rid of my ps3, but still.
    i know it's kind of an irrational guilt, but i really don't know if it would be worth it for me either. let me know if you have an opinion, please.

2. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

...wait so all of your friends want you to get something. you can afford it. you want it. but since it's microsoft you won't get it? the xbox 360 is a beast of a gaming console. to not have a good time with your friends because you won't give microsoft the money just completely doesn't make sense and may have something to do with the fan boy disease you MAY already have

3. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I have much more problem with buying sony products than I do microsoft products.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

5. boast macrumors 65816

boast

lol. is this a serious thread?

6. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

What a stupid predicament. When I saw the thread title I thought the OP would feel guilt because he feels like he shouldn't spend the money, but came to see that it's just another case of rabid fanaticism.

This isn't the worst fanboy thread I've seen (Apple tattoo threads will always be the most awful), but it comes close.

You want my opinion? Get a life. If that means buying the 360 and playing with your friends, do it. You need to detach yourself from your absurd corporate loyalty you feel toward Apple.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That's all silly! I would not avoid a 360 because it's MS. MS got it right there!

8. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

If you're buying the 360 off of your roommate, MS already made their money. Excluding the measly price of XBL.

ding.

9. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

If you already have a PS3, there is no real reason to get a 360. Pretty much all of the games that you can get for the 360, you can also get for the PS3. So, it's not like you'll suddenly have games you'll want to play. Plus, online gaming with the PS3 is free. With Xbox Live, you'll have to pay for your online gaming. A 360 just isn't worth it, especially when you already have a PS3.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

QFT.

The Xbox 360 is one of the few things Microsoft has done right. If you're such a fanboy that you can't stand to give MS money for a good product then you have some serious problems.

11. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

You said that you don't even play video games so I don't really know how it would benifit you. I'm gonna sell mines when I need to since I'm really only waiting for bioshock 2 (no thanks to it beig pushed back)

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's not an irrational guilt, it's madness. Why the bloody hell would you think you're betraying your morals by buying something that is Microsoft? They are very good consoles with lots of games in lots of genres.
    Jesus wept!

I have a Bravia TV in the living room but it's connected to a 360, Wii and Sony DVR. I don't feel an ounce of guilt because I've gone for the best in my price range.
    But then again I don't get this brand loyalty business. It's not like everything Microsoft has put out is poor, it's just Windows isn't so great. Their game studio is okay, their hardware peripherals are brilliant and the 360 is a good games system.

If I were you I'd get the 360, get a months free Live subscription and see how it works. IMO it's still a bit better than the PS3 (which I'd only get for the exclusives since I prefer the 360 controller, the multiplatform games tend to perform better on the 360, Live and all my friends play it too).

13. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Get on Xbox live its incredible! COD5 is a great game.

14. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Why do you care that you have a Sony TV, a Mac and would have an Xbox 360? Seriously Apple is a company, they just want to make profits, they don't give a crap if you have an Xbox 360 and I don't know why you feel guilty, it's a product, you are sort of labeling yourself...

15. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I was wondering the same thing.

16. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

If it weren't fore cheap computers running windows the world would work at a much slower pace.

Brand loyalty is one thing. Fanaticism is another

17. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Tell me about it! I thought he was having issues because he wants it, but doesn't want to drop $300 on a rig that had a 30% failure rate...

This is just beyond belief. No wonder mac users have such a snobbish rap:confused:

18. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

If you wanna feel better about yourself getting an MS branded XBOX, just remember it's running a PowerPC-based processor!

I don't know how long your Macintosh usage goes back, but if you're truly a fanboy, you'll appreciate the PowerPC inside!

19. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

This thread is stupid.

If you have a problem buying an xbox because it's a MS product you really need your head examined and the internet taken away.

20. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Yeah, except for that whole Red Ring of Death thing. Some people have experienced it multiple times. That's one big reason I don't have one.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

which has been resolved

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And Apple has had their fair share of problems with products too.....

23. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Just make sure and get a new chip set and it's so worth it. My favorite console by far. My ps3 only goes on now if I want to play a blu-ray movie.

24. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

So you're telling me, you originally purchased your PS3 over an Xbox 360 because it wasn't made by Microsoft?

You're trying to avoid this "image" of you that really has nothing wrong about it. In fact, by even posting this thread you're building an image of yourself as a ridiculous fanboy who doesn't deserve to be listened to or reasoned with.

But I'll try. Here's the thing: Apple and Sony are more direct competitors than Apple and Microsoft are. Apple is a hardware company, as is Sony. Microsoft is primarily a software company. They're at odds now, but really only because Apple keeps trying to claim more share in the OS category.

I can find faults in every product of every manufacturer out there. But it's rarely "because I feel guilty owning something from them." Good Lord. Microsoft is not an evil, immoral, unethical or reprehensible company. In fact, they've done quite a bit for the technology industry and the world itself. :rolleyes:

25. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I didn't say Apple doesn't have problems. It's why I follow the good rule of thumb to avoid the first gen of almost anything Apple releases. The RROD thing did give MS a bad rep and was a hit on their image. There were also some other issues, like the scratched discs and video output failures.

With all that being said, however: If I get a current gen console, it will probably be a 360 because it has better games and is cheaper. Now, if they can only make it a bit more quiet. If Sony actually drops the price on the PS3, though, it will be a tougher choice.