Feeling kinky?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Doctor Q, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm curious whether Mac users tend to follow Apple's suggestions for ergonomics, e.g.,
    • keep armrests, forearms, wrists and hands aligned
    • keep mouse at same height as keyboard
    • avoid keeping wrists bent for long periods; consider a split keyboard
    • use chair with back support
    • keep feet straight on floor or foot rest
    • set display 18-24 inches away, centered in front of your eyes or slightly below
    • position lights and display to minimize glare
    • wear appropriate glasses
    • keep shoulders relaxed, not hunched
    • take breaks to avoid long periods in the same position
    • and so on
    I tend to fall short of these recommendations but I try to keep them in mind.

How 'bout you? Do you follow most of these guidelines or do you just slouch into your chair, stayed hunched over your Mac for hours, squint at the badly placed screen, type from a bad angle, and all of the other bad habits?

In other words, if Apple took photos to show the right and wrong ways to use a computer, would you be the "right" or the "wrong"?

2. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I usually "do it wrong."

Slouching, shoulders hunched, off center monitor (2 monitors angled inward), but my keyboard and mouse are on the same level?

However, I just got my new balance ball delivered today, which I'm sitting on now, and it kinda does work to keep you in good posture. It also serves as a great footrest when I'm in my chair watching a movie.

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Every time I see one of those ergonomics guides on a new computer product I wish someone had taken my picture while working on my thesis last year—as an example of how not to do ergonomics. :p Laptop teetering on the edge of my desk, one leg tucked underneath me, the other up on the desk, wrists bent, keyboard angled, head level with the keyboard, piles of books dangerously stacked all around, beer bottles and cans of red bull getting in the way, 10 hour sessions at the desk. I survived :eek:

4. Gonzo3333, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011

Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

It is more uncomfortable trying to follow all of the ergonomic rules than breaking a few and actually being comfortable.

I say be bad and enjoy until you need that wrist band for the mouse hand. Stupid carpel tunnel.

((will probably regret above comment 20 years later) (who am I kidding, probably next week))

5. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I try to follow a couple of the usual guidelines every time I use a computer. I'm usually good at the whole keep back straight, take breaks, good light source, keep feet on floor, etc. I tend to slouch a little when just reading/surfing the web/documents etc.

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I'm wrong. I tried to do all of this as suggested and in the process forgot why I was actually on my computer to begin with.

7. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I try to do it but often I forget and fall back into the regular position that isn't great for long periods of time. I also don't tend to take as many breaks as I should do. Great thread title, BTW ;)

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Highlights needs to do this.

"Goofus slouches in his chair, his screen way too close to his face, his mouse sitting on top of a book."

"Gallant sits up straight, keeps his screen 18-24 inches away, and keeps his mouse on the same plane as his keyboard."

:D

9. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Doing it wrong as I tend to be a bit less distanced than 18inches

13inch macbook :eek:

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Is there really a right or wrong way to have your desk/chair and computer setup?

I have my setup much differently then others around me. I have the mouse about arms length away, the keyboard is distanced about the same.

The chair height is on the low side and I tend to sit/lean back so the tension on the spring is loose enough to allow this.

I think I break a number of "rules" of ergonomics but I find this the most comfortable and least likely to give me back, arm or eye strain.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I actually follow many of these, but not because I'm keeping ergonomics in mind - they're just comfortable.

I spend nearly my entire work day in front of a computer much of the time, so if something ends up feeling uncomfortable, I change it - notably things like I tend to move my feet from one position to another as time passes, shift from sitting straight up to relaxing a bit, etc.

The one thing I do not waver on is back support - I always use a chair with the backrest almost leaning a few degrees forward from vertical. It keeps me from slouching, and that little bit of adjustment makes it far more bearable to sit in a chair for long periods.

I used to use an ergo split keyboard, but since I'm often using a laptop for work these days (when I'm in the field), that's not an option anymore; but the old-style straight row keyboards don't really bother me.

One thing that ends up helping me is when I use AutoCAD - I have my most commonly used commands mapped to the left-hand keys on the keyboard, so I can keep my right hand on the mouse and left hand on the keyboard, and it's quite comfortable, even for a marathon session.

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The only thing I do is have a chair with back support.

13. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Good for you. I just got a new desk chair with great lumbar support. That made me realize how long I'd been using the previous chair, with no support at all.

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm about half and half. I have my chair and screen at about the right height, but out of habit I tend to lean forward a lot. I can easily read text with no problems whatsoever when sitting upright, so I don't know why I end up leaning. Whenever I notice myself doing it I then straighten up, until I lapse into leaning again. This typically happens when I'm reading a lot of text, as I will "automatically" straighten back up when reaching for the mouse.

I also wear a bracelet on my right (mouse) wrist which probably doesn't help with ergonomics, but it doesn't hurt so it shouldn't be doing too much damage :p

15. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

My chair is too high (or my macbook screen too low) which means I look down to my screen... can't be too healthy for my neck. I also often end up leaning forwards or slouching back due to it.

Everything else is fine I think.

16. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yeah..I'm pretty sure I don't follow any of those..ever..