Feeling Old? 75 Ways College/University Freshmen View the World

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bradl, Aug 21, 2012.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Time for a bit of comic relief, but also one of those "damn! am I really *that* old?!?" threads.

Read, revel in your (old?) age, and enjoy!

http://www.omaha.com/article/201208...g-old-75-ways-college-freshmen-view-the-world

Not much more to say, but "Damn, I feel old!!" :D

BL.

2. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I try to catch this list every year. It really is amazing how fast culture changes and how the young are impacted by a lack of knowledge regarding the past. At a certain point that old phrase, "when I was young..." starts to make sense as opposed to being a cue for you to roll your eyes at the person saying it. :D

3. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

76. Lego mini figs have always had faces and articulated arms and legs.

4. Surely Guest

Surely

Except that they call it the Sixteenth Chapel.:D

5. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

77. Their cars have always started on the first try - with a button, not a key.

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I thought this one was particularly tragic...

To them, Quentin Tarantino is just another Hollywood director, and not a purveyor of all things awesome. A geek who rose up from his humble beginnings as a simple video store clerk to become an icon of my generation. It's horrible.

...and then it suddenly dawned upon me that my parents used to say similar things about Starsky, Hutch, old 60's and 70's actors, and that kids these days don't even know what a video store is.

Holy ****, I'm old.

7. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Honestly this sounds like a list that a bunch of old people came up with. The ones that are actually true are completely trivial (yes, as a matter of fact technology does change).

8. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Starsky and Hutch...gawd, I use to do the hop over the hood thing.:cool:

Hey, that's MY line.:D I probably have socks older than...*mumble mumble*

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Hell, I've got a cat that's probably older than some people here.

And even worse, I chased a bunch of teenagers off my property the other day. Just like how my old neighbors used to shoo my friends and I away when we were taking shortcuts through their yards.

Though in my favor, the little bastards weren't just walking through, they were trying to set fire to a little pile of cardboard out beside the pine trees. I mean what the hell? What kind of an idiot goes sneaking into someone else's yard to burn stuff? Even I wasn't that big of a hoodlum when I was their age. I swear, kids these days...

10. jaysen macrumors 6502

Exactly this... Lately I've been feeling this with my 29th birthday past me and slowly approaching 30. Not meant to be disrespectful, but I can only imagine people 5-10 years older than me.

Ughhh, why do we have to grow up ;)

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Meh, these lists don't make me feel old. I felt old the first time I told my nephew to do something and when he asked why, I said, because I said so. :D

12. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Hmph .. I'm 20 years older than you are, and I remember when all land-line telephones (not that anyone under the age of 20 knows what a land-line telephone is) were "party line" unless you paid extra and waited quite a bit longer for the phone company to run a private line to your home.

13. malman89 macrumors 68000

As an old fart from the class of 2011 (sarcasm), I highly doubt anyone goes to look for an e-book version of any textbook at almost any college in the United States.

Should still read as: Before paying 150-300% mark up on a textbook from the bookstore, they look for a free copy in their school's library or go on the likes of Amazon, Half.com or Chegg.

----------

I don't know anyone under 30 with a car that starts with a button.

14. jaysen macrumors 6502

Although I can't speak to that, I definitely can say that the ones this list refer to definitely don't know what the "p-line" or "party line" is/was... This was my "chat room" :)

"Yo, where you stay at?!"

15. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

A lot of these things are really only true in the US and Europe. I get that the list was made in the US though, so that explains it.

16. puma1552 macrumors 601

Agreed, it's yet another list that misses the mark that anyone who is young can clearly tell was written by old people who think they are "cool" and "edgy" because they think they are hip enough to know what's going on in the sub-20 year old crowd.

Half of those are stupid IMO.

Also, Tarantino absolutely sucks. Went to see Lawless last night and there was a preview for some new Tarantino flick, as usual it looked tasteless as hell and tacky like all his movies.

17. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

As a young person (19) I'm certainly biased, but I feel like the older generations don't give enough credit to ours. These lists and statements are fun to read, but really lack a whole lot of truth to them. We know what turntables are, what land lines are; we love classic music and movies from days before our birth. Just to give a few examples. I'm sure there are those out there who are completely ignorant of anything before their time, but chances are they're also fairly ignorant of the time they live in.

I'm sure I'm taking this too seriously, but it bugs me that others also seem to take these things as indisputable fact. :eek:

18. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Thank you for pointing this out.

Many, many young people are not only aware that a world existed before they were born; but are also more than a little familiar with the science, technology, culture and politics of days gone by.

I was born in 1963 - but fairly early in my childhood I understood quite well that at one time Germany had a Kaiser; that ships were once propelled by large canvas sails; and that the invention of powered airplanes was a relatively recent development.

Lists like the one posted should serve more of a reminder of how much the world has changed, rather than an implication that today's young people are clueless or uneducated. They aren't - or at least any more so than my generation, or the ones that preceded it.

19. Gregg2 macrumors 603

The point is not literal truthfulness, it's that time marches on. The list is only saying that in their lifetimes, these things exist, or that, before they were born, they changed. They don't really believe that they've not heard of something that was around before they were born, but is no more.

I'm having trouble following what I wrote, but no time to rewrite...