Feeling sick of my 13" Macbook Pro - Day 3

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ja-m-ie, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Ja-m-ie macrumors newbie

I must say. I do absolutely love this machine, it is almost perfect in every respect, but there is a flaw which I was never informed about.

The LED screen is murder to work with.

I read quite a lot of articles online and yesterday I watched a documentary, but I felt so sick and had a headache after just 30 minutes!

I done some research into this and apparently it is a common problem that occurs with LED screens and there doesn't seem to be a grand solution?

I am by no means a light-weight at screen viewing as I used to play my PS3 at least 5 hours straight and I was fine with my desktop LCD screen, but if I am to take this laptop to Uni, I was be staring at it for great lengths of time and feeling sick when trying to write an essay will be a true annoyance.

Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone found a solution or a way or increasing time viewing, or is it a case of adapting to LED?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Lower the brightness level. I used to get headache from my iMac (CCFL backlight) but haven't got it since I turned down the brightness.

3. Morley7 macrumors member

I agree you should try to turn down the brightness. I was having the same problem with my tv I use as a monitor. That worked.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

For some reason, the displays (TV and computer) always seem to be initially set for maximum brightness. For TVs it's so it will look good if they set it up in a store.

When I first got my MBP the first thing I did was turn the brightness down to minimum.

If you wear glasses make sure you're at the right distance.

5. Ja-m-ie thread starter macrumors newbie

I've put the brightness down to bar 5 now and I had a rest by watching the Italy vs NZ game (Well done to NZ on that note) and it seems a bit better.

I don't wear glasses or have any eye issues, which is why it is so frustrating. A real shame that I've paid £999 for a laptop that makes me feel sick when I appreciate the screen at its best.

Yet, I guess the pros will have to outweigh that con, the trackpad is just heavenly to use and makes navigating amazing and all the new features still make this machine exciting to discover the new possibilities.

How I hate and love Apple =]

6. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

I also had this problem when I got mine. I think the main issue was moving to a higher res screen than my old thinkpad (which was the old 4:3 aspect ratio can't remember what the res was but it was low). I think it took me about a month to really get used to looking at my mbp (and I use my computer like 12hrs everyday) so this might work for you. If it doesn't you can always sell it later I suppose. Sorry and hope things work out for you. :(

7. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

Am I the only one that doesn't get bothered by bright screens???

You can try turning down the brightness, as everyone else has stated. Also, you can make the screen negative by clicking control+alt+command+8.

8. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I had that model to and I got headaches from the glares from the screen. I don't get why apple does this to us users? Maybe Steve jobs needs to test out his own prodects and realize that sometimes function beats out form. At least offer us an anti-glare model.

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Anti glare doesn't do much to the brightness of the screen. Anti glare also reduces the color accuracy of the screen as well dim it a bit. I don't see the problem here, just move away from the sun. Even with anti glare, you will still see glare but just not as much.

10. Reapur macrumors regular

Antiglare INCREASES colour accuracy. Glossy display saturates the colour gamut which makes it look "bling" for the consumer but is by no means "accurate". Antiglare is purchased by professionals who NEED accurate colour representation that follows through to print. Thats the entire reason antiglare is even offered. Please do your research before posting.

11. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I usually have my screen at 4-5bars of brightness. Being too bright hurts the eyes and head! :]

12. apple.gr macrumors regular

You can turn the brightness even more down. I have it in 2 to 3 bars and I have no problem.

13. joelypolly macrumors 6502

Color accuracy is a function of the actual panel and has nothing to do with the coating given. Matt displays scatter light and can be less accurate if the underlying display technology is the same.
    CRTs use to come in both Matt and glossy and most professional choose glossy. What apple needs to do is apply a better antiglare coating to the glass to reduce reflections.

14. chulsupark macrumors newbie

Hi, I had similar problems with my new MBP 13'', a month 1/2 old now. I had headache, nausea w/ the screen, in less than 30 min or so. Before my MBP, I never used LCD screen for work, only w/ CRT before. So, I searched web and other fora, and I found that there are some people who are sensitive to the LCD (or may be LED light) screen. And I worried that I may have to return the MBP, but I was already in love with this MBP ...
    Anyway, I gave some time until my 2 week return period expired, and fortunately my eyes adapted to the screen after couple of weeks. So, give it a try for a couple weeks and see if your eyes can adapt to the screen/backlight.

Hope this helps

15. unamused macrumors 6502

the problem is that with LED backlights, the dimming is an effect created by flashing the LED's on and off VERY quickly. Depending on what brightness level, the frequency will change and certain frequencies will cause some people to get nauseous.

the reason you dont experience this with other displays is because they use CFL backlighting.

16. Reapur macrumors regular

Apple uses great panels in their displays, the determining factor in this instance is glass on top of the panel vs no glass. Glass causes glare from any light source behind the user which blows out images on screen which makes setting levels and curves accurately difficult. I have never heard of a professional going for a glossy display over a matte or AG. Every pro i've talked to has said contrary.

17. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I had this at first too. It goes away. As others have stated dim the brightness and slowly adjust it back up once your eyes get used to LED screens.