Feelings about the 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by impulse462, Sep 30, 2014.

1. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

After using the iPhone 6 since launch day, I've decided to go back to my slate 5 (just since I wanted a change from my 5s and I love the slate color). I feel like the phone is too android-y and its just too big for my usage. When I'm walking on campus and I want to change a song, I pull the phone out of my pocket, it feels like I'm going to drop it since the "back" button on the upper left hand side is too far for me to reach (as a right handed person). My friends who don't mind it as well as my android phones keep saying "you'll get used to it". But i feel that is not the point. The phone should fit into my life, not me try to force myself to use it. With the screen increase from the 4/4s to 5/5s it wasn't this same way at all.

The 6 will be a big hit since a lot of people wanted larger screens, but it just isn't for me. Curious if there are any other people who feel the same way.

Edit: also I just wanted to give my opinion on "reachability". That feature is so dumb (in my view) and the way Phil Schiller was gushing on about it was pathetic. The fact that it is in the phone to begin with shows that Apple feels the phone is too big.

2. MassiveAttack, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014

MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Feelings about the 6

SMH at people that can't adapt. Enjoy your iPhone 5S.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you're curious as to whether or not others feel the same all you have to do is open the iPhone section of this forum and look. It is clear that people have doubts about both iPhones and their size. In spite of that, I too am in the smaller phone camp but my 4S is no longer functioning properly (hardware issue) and it was time. My options were clear as I am not buying tech from 2013 in 2014 when the tech itself is basically still a bit behind what Samsung offers. Yes, I wrote that...buck up to the folks who are busting a vein over this. I am not an Android user and do not ever intend to be, for whatever it is worth.

I think "reachability" was offered because there is a pretty significant jump from the 5S to the 6+. It is probable that Apple wanted the phone to succeed and therefore, offered a solution to anyone who is finding it hard to continue to use the iPhone the same way that they did previously with the 5S or prior models.

This is entirely up to you, but you will eventually be left behind if you cannot somehow adapt to the change. I don't know if we'll see a phone smaller than 4.7" going forward. No one does for that matter. This is a time when you have to say it is what it is and either stick with your older phone(s) or move ahead. Isn't there another music player that perhaps places buttons in locations reachable by a one-handed man? I wonder if that is a solution to your problem.

4. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I personally haven't decided whether I like the 6 or not. I may just go ahead and buy a new 5S.

5. impulse462 thread starter Suspended

impulse462

Nothing to do with adapting. I can't increase the size of my hands...if I could I would. I didn't realize how important one handed usage for me is until I got this phone. It was a chore for me to use the phone one handed, and I don't feel like "I should just use 2 hands now" as some people on this forum (and other places) tell people.

----------

Intersting response and you have a valid point, I don't think the phones will get smaller than 4.7". As for the music player..haha I could dig out my old iPod, but I love having music on my phone.

6. appleii.c macrumors 6502

appleii.c

You went from the 5S to the 6? Not TOO much of an upgrade IMO. I went from the 4S, and I am really enjoying the 6. Only issue, and one I agree with you on, is the size. It's still taking a little to get used to, especially when I'm using it to talk. Feels a little big. Other than that, I love the phone. I think the screen is awesome, and I'm one of the few who really like the design. But again, i'm coming from the 4S so it's a bit of a jump for me.

The 5/5S is a good phone, no shame in sticking with it.

7. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Use your 5 and 5S until they are so slow and outdated you're forced to upgrade. Then either compromise by switching to a 4" Android device or adapting to the 4.7" iPhones.

/end snowflake thread.

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I'm posting here although I respectfully do not agree with you.

If you absolutely do not feel that this phone fits into your life, that is completely fine and you are fully able to use an older version of the iPhone, nothing wrong with that.

I greatly enjoy the size of the. I am a 6'1" male, and have no issues using the 6 one handed for the most part. The very top of the screen is a bit of a reach, but nothing insurmountable.

I think you're missing the point of "Reachability." It is not, in any way, a declaration from Apple that the phone is too big. It's all about usage. Some people want a larger screen for viewing more content on the web, videos, what have you. At the same time, they also want to be able to use the phone with one hand. That's exactly what Reachability does. It's simple and effective. You have the larger screen with which to view your content, and, when you need to get to the top of the screen (if you're not able to reach), you simply enable Reachability to be able to reach the top of the screen while still using one hand.

9. pish6969 macrumors regular

If it's too big and you don't think you'll get used to it..no brainer go back to 5s..awesome phone.

I've been fine with the 6..basically same size as my old Galaxy S3, anything bigger I lose too much portabiity for what I use it for. I don't miss the added features of the big 6, as I don't have a trained eye to really tell difference in photo quality with OIS (guess I'm an amateur, I think pics on my 5 looked great). My battery life has been awesome..get a full day out of it, charge at night.

IMO..size trumps all..if I only felt comfortabale with the 5, I would stick with it, if I felt I can go thru day to day with 6+, I would have gotten that..as far as how the phones run..I think they all do a good job (haven't experienced 6+ but from what I've been reading in here it seems to be getting good reviews for the most part)

10. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

So I agree with most of what you are saying. If you want to phone in 2014 you are going to have to go big. There is just no way around that. What did catch my attention though was the Samsung comment. Not at all that I care because I feel like Samsung has been adding way more features to there phones for years. My thought though is whether Samsung really has better "tech", or it's just features that don't matter that much. Having higher specs means nothing. The S5 and Note 4 will run no smoother than the 6, or 6+. The only real advantage you will see is RAM. Even then it is not that much better than the iPhone.

I guess my question is what tech do you see that is that much better by Samsung?

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

At this point, very little with exception of the removable storage. We're saddled to make a decision that will get us through what is normally a 2-year contract. Sometimes it's an easy decision, other times it may not be. But I believe in some cases Apple is behind in the area of RAM. I do have constant issues with my iPad Mini refreshing with more than 3 tabs open and have similar issues on my iPhone 4S. That is truly outdated so I reserve judgement until I get my 6. While I made the statement, I also will say that I don't care if Apple looks behind when you go head to head with the specs. It is how it runs that matters to me and while Apple may be slower sometimes, to me they've gotten more right. I've had Android phones and Windows phones for that matter and frankly, I feel Apple has been more fluid for me.

12. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

Yeah I agree. I have never felt like I am missing something when I use an iPhone. All the features on the Android phones I have used never are that missed. I still like android, but my iPhone 6+ is by far my favorite phone right now. iOS still when in smoothness. I don't think android will ever be able to top that without Google making the hardware for the nexus phones (which will never happen). I will say the same thing hold true with the iPhone 6 in terms of RAM. There will be tab refreshes and apps too. It really does not bother me.

13. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

nobody's hands grow bigger but many people have found other ways to hold their bigger phones and make it still work one handed

14. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

I picked up my 5S the other day to take some comparison pics and I couldn't believe I made it this long with such a tiny screen. There is no way I could resort to using that again. The 6 has been the first iphone since the 4 where I didn't wonder if it was really worth the upgrade or not. I know everybody has different preferences and hopefully they will release a smaller version for those people wanting the new phone while still having a 4 inch screen but for me the 6 fits my hand perfect.

15. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

the 6 will be my first iPhone since the 4 I was using a galaxy s3 for 2 years

if the iPhone would of stay made the screen bigger in 2012 I would of never left apple, I gave my galaxy to my mom who was previously using my 4, I wanted the 4 before the 6 came just to be familiar with iOS again, and this screen is tiny

16. madriven79 macrumors newbie

The iphone 6 design is not for me. It feels too big, too thin, too light. I wish apple would have kept the design of the 4s, just make it a little bigger and improve it's hardware, camera etc. with every new iphone generation. Iphone 4s you want to hold in your hands all day long and play with it even after years of using it because it feels so good, the 6 feels like nothing and it is so light you don't even know if you have it in your pocket or lost it. I don't like.

17. impulse462 thread starter Suspended

impulse462

I thought I'd update this thread. After a month of using the phone, I have to say I'm pretty much loving the 6 after a small adaption which took 2 days longer than I thought it would have. In fact, the day after I made this thread I was walking to the apple store to maybe return the 6 and as I was walking through the city I was finally able to handle the phone with one hand (my biggest complaint). I can wiggle the phone in my hand whenever I need to access things near the top of my screen. Now that I'm completely used to it, I'm fully on board with the 6.

18. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I'm unsure whether I like the design of the 6 but for sure will wait until at least the 6S with the growing number of bending concerns with the new phone.

19. tigress666 macrumors 68040

As some one who also prefers smaller phones (But I am adjusting to my 6), I have to agree, unfortunately for those that like small phones, the war has been lost unless you want the cheap non premium android phones (the ones marketed at people who just want a phone and aren't gadget lovers). The fact the 6/6+ is doing so well and most people have been clamoring for a bigger phone and voices against it have been so few are pretty good indicators of that.

Maybe one day there will be a backlash, but for now it seems most people are happy with the bigger phones. Or adjusting like I am (there are perks to it. But the iphone 5 and 4 were definitely better fitting for one handed use and a lot easier to just slip in your pocket and go).

20. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

Define "android-y"? Is that just referring to the size? But glad you're on board now. It was a bit of an adjustment but now I don't even notice my 6 Plus being so big.

21. arftech macrumors regular

arftech

Nope, I don't feel the same way but as long as you're happy with the 5 then that's the way you should go.

----------

For those wanting Apple to release another 4" phone that horse has left the barn. Personally, I feel 4.7" is the sweet spot for folks wanting smaller screens but I'm sure glad Apple released that 5.5" because that's the sweet spot for me.

22. Rayy42 macrumors 6502

Rayy42

I sometimes find myself missing my slate iPhone 5...but I am definitely adjusting to my iPhone 6! Enjoying the 64GB of storage to hold my 2500 songs!

23. FoxD macrumors 6502

Get the 6 Plus. I did the same thing you did. I went from 5 to 6 then back to 5 and the borrowed wife's Plus. I tried it for a day and loved it surprisingly. You hold it different (more like an iPad Mini) and there's no going back to the small 5 screen now for me. No chance.

24. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Did the same thing (basically).
    Ended up with a new 5s (re-sale) 64gb after selling my 6

Happy as can be. The size is wonderful (for me)

----------

You may have missed how the OP would like to be able to "pull it out and change songs with one hand"...

The 6+ is going in the wrong direction for those of us that like one handed quick usage scenarios

25. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11