Feels Good To Be L-e-g-i-t

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phantomsd, Sep 11, 2008.

1. phantomsd macrumors 6502

phantomsd

So finally after an on and off year with the iPhone on T-Mobile (Blackberry to iPhone to Blackberry back to iPhone)... I finally took the plunge and went 3G when my T-Mobile contract ended (was on the fence with the BOLD... but the damn delays annoyed me and I honestly lost interest).

Feels good to be LEGIT... no more hacking, firmware updates as they are released... visual voicemail... apple/at&t service anytime.

Despite all the "problems" posted on here, I'm not too worried about them. Apple will eventually fix them so stop the bashing! :)

Early adopters cannot expect perfection...

All yall just need to stop complaining about the issues and realize you have one hot piece of gadgetry. It might not have MMS, cut and paste, sandwich maker, coffee brewer... its still the **** and any touchscreen phone that comes out will be compared to yours... I have yet to see a touch screen/UI more elegant than Apple's.

But I paid this much and that much and this doesn't work right blah blah... return it then if you don't like it. Apple will make it over this iPhone hump... then you guys will have the new MacBooks to complain about :p

Big up to Freddy from Spectrum Apple Store (Irvine, CA) for the assist. Oh if you're wondering... plenty of 3Gs in stock, no lines no waiting... new iPods in the back but not yet on the demo tables. :)

2. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

I have a massive problem with that sentence.

3. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

I'm going out on a limb to guess that you don't work in the tech field.

Would you rather help Apple perfect a product or rather have them withhold it for another year to get it right?

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

+++
    I have to agree...While I understand the massive amount of logistics and work that goes into something like the iPhone, it's a little hard to swallow when things like the Wii, other iPod lines, and other tech "just works." I loved my 2G iPhone, as I do my 3G, but it's not the level of quality I've come to expect from my Apple products.

5. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

What that guy said.

Going out on a limb might be a bad idea ;-)

I'd expect from a company as huge as Apple with those deep pockets they'd be able to get it just about right first time.

Anyway, the topic of iPhone 2.0 being unstable has been done to death, time to move on I think! :D

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

In what world is the user of a 2.0 product (a year after the 1.0 came out) considered an "early adopter?"

Now, the 3G chip, that IS new. Anyone having 3G connection or GPS problems are having early-adopter problems and I forgive that. New features and hardware may take some time to get right.

But the software...the typing lags, the slow contacts, the long backups and slow application updates... That's different. That's all software and it's a platform that's on version 2.0. Hardly an early adopter situation.

7. Linuss macrumors regular

You can't be serious, right?

Every time a new version of overhauled software comes out, it's considered new.

XP was new compared to ME. Vista is new compared to XP. XP service pack 2 is new compared to SP1.

There has always been and will always be bugs with new software. Deal with it or don't upgrade.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

well, then you're in for a lot of disappointment. It happens across the board - with hardware, software, computers, cars, GPS units, you name it. Yeah it's frustrating, but it's also technology.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So, you're saying that XP Service Pack 2 is just as bug-filled as Service Pack 1 and there's no reason to upgrade.

Well geez, why release any new software if, according to you, they'll never get any better?

When Leopard 10.5.3 came out I upgraded on the theory that it was better than 10.5.2 had been. You're saying that nothing changed? The software didn't get better? Seemed like it did to me!

10. Linuss macrumors regular

You're just making stuff up now.

Yes, upgrades DO fix bugs, but it's common knowledge that other bugs are caused.

IE 2.0 software. IE CONSTANT updates to ALL software that is worth using.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, obviously.

But what, then, is the definition of "early adopter?"

You seem to want to apply it to anyone using any software. To me, that renders the term rather meaningless.

12. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

You also have to realize that 2.0 was completely rewritten from 1.x...frameworks all different...

So technically it resets itself to "early adopter." Just cause they choose to call it 2.0 instead of calling it "second generation firmware 1.0" doesn't mean that it continues on from 1.x...

Now we can't use Windows as a comparison, because it's not like SP1 was a completely rewritten operating system. It was just a huge bundle of fixes.

Now once 2.1 comes out, then you can argue. But since it's only up to 2.0.2...it's still in the early stages.

13. Linuss macrumors regular

Major revisions =/= minor bug fixing patches.

14. chox99 macrumors regular

Glad you went legit. ATT is horrible company IMO and I would never go back to ATT. Hope you don't have many trouble as I did with ATT.

15. Trip.Tucker Guest

!= is what I believe you were aiming for.

16. Linuss macrumors regular

Nope, typed what I meant to type.

There ARE other ways to say "Not equal to" besides that from a programming language...

17. Rigsby macrumors regular

What's wrong with a simple alt-= to give ≠?

18. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Hmm, I half agree and half disagree. 3G in itself is most certainly not anywhere near new. The fact that Apple decided to go for an unproven 3G chip is the problem and possibly the cause of the 3G issues so many people are experiencing. You can't be an 'early adopter' of 3G technologies today. Maybe five years ago...

19. FJR macrumors regular

Are you really comparing the iPhone to the Wii? The Wii is essentially a N64 with an accelorometer. The iPhone did so many different things from any phone out there that its just a laughable comparison.

20. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

The Wii's probably more like an iMac G3 with an accelerometer.

I'm well aware of this, I just find it strange that Apple didn't have some of these issues down as 'blocker' bugs, i.e. bugs which block the product from releasing. OK, maybe it was ok to release with some of these problems since 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 came quite quickly but neither seemed to fix some of the biggest issues such as the lag.

Anyway!

Lets not hijack this thread any more. Enjoy your time with ATT, OP :)

21. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Windows users would have to either copy and paste from somewhere or open character map or install a special program allowing unicode.

22. sh0ckerturb0 macrumors member

sh0ckerturb0

haha really?

23. phantomsd thread starter macrumors 6502

phantomsd

you actually copied and pasted and left those two words... really?

stick with the topic.

24. synagence macrumors 6502a

How many firmware updates has Wii had? (many)
    How many firmware updates have PS3/Xbox360 had? (many)
    How many firmware updates has Nokia N95? 6 at least

ALL new products and software is just ship-it-now-fix-it-later mentality

I don't like the fact that new products/software are buggy but its really a fact of life now .... since we have internet enabled fridges, tv's, dvd players etc i'm sure we'll have patches for them soon

25. phantomsd thread starter macrumors 6502

phantomsd

Agreed. Imagine the recalls if this weren't the case! There would be a whole other line outside the Apple/AT&T store.