fees when purchases iPhone from Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by howard, Jul 14, 2009.

1. howard macrumors 68020

howard

I bought an iphone a week and a half ago, the total was a bit more than I expected but i figured between tax and the activation fee thats just what it works out to be... but then I got my first bill from ATT who charged the activation fee so I checked out my iPhone receipt and noticed the tax they charged me equaled about 22% !!!! I'm in California with about 9.5% already but this is ridiculous. There are no fees or anything else on the reciept, just 299 for the iphone and about $66 under taxes.

I bought 2 iphones that day and the price was exactly the same, which also made me think it wasn't a problem.

Anyone know whats up with this? May have to make a trip back to the Apple store this week...

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Thank Arnie*, he's screwing us all.

*(Not arn, Arnold Schwarzenegger)

3. stevenD macrumors newbie

I bought the 8gb and it was $199 + $52 in taxes, when I quizzed the guy, he said they tax you on the full retail price...

atturds

4. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

ah, cause of the whole subsidy thing with the ATT plan?... a bit sketchy but i guess that explains it.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

that's not an AT&T issue - that's a california tax issue. CA tax is based on total retail price, not discounted. Would be the same if you got any discount phone, or other retail item.

6. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Wow that definitely sucks for you CA people. First I've ever heard of anything like that.

7. outphase macrumors 65816