Fell in the River w/ My iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by groove-agent, Aug 6, 2014.

1. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

groove-agent

Was hiking and didn't think I would be going through water. Unfortunately there ended up being a river I had to cross and thought I could make it easily.

I was wrong.

I went in and my phone being in my pocket got submerged for a few seconds. When I got back to camp I put it in a bag with rice.

The screen comes on but it's dim and the colors seem inverted. A new screen isn't a big deal but it won't hold a charge very long. It will go dead in a few hours even if i'm not using it. The phone seems to get quite hot when I make calls and text, but that could be normal.

Has anyone had a similar situation and can offer some advice? I'm not sure if maybe the defective screen has a short and is draining the battery faster. Maybe the battery needs replacing too? I'm not sure if it's worth fixing but I am still under contract for another year.

Thanks in advance.

2. McScooby macrumors 6502a

unless you've got Applecare + / Insurance take it to Apple Store & pay a couple of hundred for an out of warranty replacement.

3. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Probably toasted now. You should have left it powered off and left in rice for a couple of days. You can get an out of warranty replacement for about $269? I do believe, it's somewhere around there, I'm sure someone will correct me.

4. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Unfortunate situation. What phone did you have? I believe it's $229 for 5, 5c and 5s to get replaced from Apple.

5. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I forgot I had my phone in my pocket and took a dip in the ocean. Had to pay the $250 (or whatever) out of warranty replacement cost for a new one. No other alternatives.

Aside from being a device junkie, that's partly why I'm keeping some of my phones and not selling them off this year. Between me being brain-dead sometimes and my wife losing/dropping her iPhone, its good to have a backup handy.

Of course, wouldn't you know. Since I've had the extra phones we haven't had any issues. But better being safe than sorry.

6. jbachandouris, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014

jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Probably going to need an out of warranty repair as others have posted.

Water or no water, I would be buying a LifeProof or Otterbox case if I were going hiking. It makes no sense to take these kind of chances.

Good luck.

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Water has no mercy for you still being under contract.

You next steps really depend on you and if you are in warranty. I kinda doubt it or you would have said something.

Best to go to the Apple store and pay the $200+ and get a refurb.

8. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Unless you are a good DIY phone repairer, the out of warranty replacement will be cheaper in the long run. At a minimum you need a new screen and a new battery, and who knows what else may have failed or be about to fail?

The out of warranty replacement will have some value at the end of your contract, too.

9. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

I dont think thats normal and I would not play with that around my face while making calls :( rust gets to the connections and god knows what gets crossed inside.

10. groove-agent, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014

groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

groove-agent

Thanks for the replies everyone. I might go with the out of warranty replacement. Are these refurbished phones unlocked? That would probably be worth it.

I don't know about these fancy waterproof cases, but if you're going to be near water with your phone, a simple sealed ziploc bag works wonders. You can still use the touch screen through the bag and can completely submerge the phone. The trick is knowing when you will need it. ;)

11. P A U L macrumors member

If yours is unlocked, then the unlock will transfer over to the new replacement.

12. groove-agent, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014

groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

groove-agent

No mine isn't unlocked. How can they transfer over a lock from a specific carrier to a new refurbished phone?

Can anyone confirm this that has had a replacement outside of warranty on a locked phone?

Thanks in advance.

13. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If you phone was officially unlocked you will get another that is unlocked.

If you phone was locked you will get a locked refurb.