Fell & iPhone got scratched pretty badly - on Citizen One upgrade plan - question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nygiants242, Nov 21, 2016.

1. nygiants242 macrumors member

Hey guys,

The corner of my iPhone is pretty damaged after a fall from earlier today. I'm on the Citizen One upgrade plan - will they likely require me to use an AppleCare+ "life" to replace the phone before trading it in? How should I expect the process to work?

Thanks!

2. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

Of course. They are not going to allow you to trade in a damaged phone come upgrade time. AC+ comes with the plan so might as well use it when you need it. You get 2 incidents so once you use this one you have 1 left.

As far as how it will work, it should be the same process as AC+ for any other iPhone user. You can call apple and have them mail you out a phone using express replacement and pay $99, or you can have it done at the genius bar.

3. Videomanmac macrumors 6502

Can you provide a picture? I don't think a scratch (even heavily) in the corner would constitute a replacement or any issues with the Citizens upgrade plan.

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

"pretty damaged" can mean all sorts of things. as long as there's no broken glass, and the phone works properly, i'd consider any damage to be cosmetic. that, i don't think they'd charge for. regardless, let's see some pics.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/iphoneupgrade_us/

1. Condition of Financed iPhone when Exercising your Upgrade Option. As noted above, your Financed iPhone must be in good physical and operational condition when exercising your Upgrade Option as determined solely by Apple or Apple’s trade-in service provider (“Trade-In Service Provider”). For a Financed iPhone to be considered in good physical and operational condition, the Financed iPhone must:
      • Power on and hold a charge;
      • Have an intact and functioning display;
      • Have no breaks or cracks; and
      • Have Activation Lock disabled (you may be asked to disable at the time of upgrade).
      If exercising your Upgrade Option via apple.com, you must also remove the SIM card prior to returning the original Financed iPhone.

7. newellj macrumors 603

That's sort of interesting, no? No breaks or cracks, which sound like references to the screen - but no mention of dings or dents or scratches. There is the "good physical...condition" statement but that's sort of subjective. I wonder how Apple would handle a significant dent that didn't damage the screen or affect physical or electrical function.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It's always been the case (for most carrier trade-ins as well).

9. newellj macrumors 603

...which is why Apple requires AC+ for those contracts, I guess! I decided a few years ago that I was wasting my money, but that's just me. If I were setting up a financed program like the IUP I think I'd require AC+, too.