Fell off stairs: corner of my MBP dented :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lapino, May 6, 2009.

1. lapino macrumors regular

Just came from a day playtesting Divinity2 (developer is housed about 5mins from my home). Had a nice time but when leaving, I fell off the very slippy stairs (with my MBP in my backpack). The MBP was in a fleece and then in a special backpack but still, the front left corner is dented. Laptop seems ok for the rest but still, very annoying for someone like myself who wants to keep his stuff in mint condition.

Damn :( Very surprised that it got hurt this easily, especially at that place (left front corner is dented on the left side, not much but you can clearly see it).

2. bmacir macrumors 6502

Pics or it did not happen

3. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

yeah I see that a lot. It's just a weak point. Is this a unibody or prior model. Prior models get dented no problem, the unibody models I would think wouldn't have this problem as much, but i don't know for sure.

4. lapino thread starter macrumors regular

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sorry to hear this. Aluminium is a soft metal; at least it deformed instead of broke in two or something.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Man that bites. I think the majority of Mac owners (including myself) are so anal about keeping their Macs in pristine condition that when something like this occurs it really is depressing :(

7. lapino thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah it is depressing, like I said I take enormous care of my tech-stuff (almost all of it still looks brand new) but due to such a stupid accident, it got damaged (being in a backpack AND a sleeve!). First thing I'm gonna do this week is get a hard-shell sleeve. I'll post pics later, reason I started this was to point out (again) how fragile the aluminium seems to be.

8. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

pictures are great! The annoying internet meme of "pics or it didnt happen" lololol isnt.

9. felt. macrumors 6502a

when I dropped and dented my MBP it was awesome, I realized that attaching any amount of significance to an inanimate object is not benefiting me, I've never been happier since...have fun with your OCD guys

10. edblor macrumors regular

To some. I would think the poster of that comment was trying to infer some levity to an otherwise horrifying experience for the OP. That was how I took it.

Others though, live here on the internet and it (the internet) must adhere to the standards in their heads ;)

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You need to get a real padded computer bag.

Live and learn.

OMG a material is fragile? A Ferrari is a high end car, so it must withstand any type of crash?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNVrMZX2kms
    The Ferrari in the video costs >$1 million on the market.

12. Skika macrumors 68030

13. bmacir macrumors 6502

What's even more annoying is people complaining about it. :p

14. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Sorry to hear that, i know what you mean i like to keep my laptops in mint condition.I was paranoid about scratches, I am that bad i got a tech shell case for each of them, and a iskin for the keyboard.

15. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

@OP: Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that. Though something like that is to be expected after the kind of accident you described, it still blows bigtime.

Incidentally, I hope you weren't hurt. You mentioned you slipped and fell yourself.

16. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

I wouldn't quite say I'm anal around mt MBP, but I won't let my girlfriend near it. I gave her a Win XP laptop about 10 months ago, and the thign is filthy. Food crumbs in the keyboard. Snot and/or beer stains on the screen. Yuck. When I take my laptop over to her place it goes ontp a workstation and I told her no food or drink within about 5 feet. She has no problem about it. Her damn cats are another problem.

Tom

17. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Sounds like you have a filthy girl, hehe.

18. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Don't bump a thread if you don't have anything helpful to contribute please.

19. lapino thread starter macrumors regular

20. n0d3 macrumors regular

Doesn't seem THAT bad, can't do anything bout it anyways. You'll forget about it in a couple of weeks. :)

21. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

thats not bad at all, a plastic dell would probably have cracks in it by now, at least the aluminium has a crumple zone.

22. zeeflyboy macrumors regular

could you not carefully knock that out from the inside and have it pretty hard to notice... it should be easy enough to access there i would have thought.

23. bmacir macrumors 6502

Ok I won't. :rolleyes:

@OP
    You were very lucky there, considering you fell from the stairs with your MBP. I had an hard disk failure when my old powerbook 12'' dropped from the sofa landing on a carpet.

24. greenguy4 macrumors 6502

this is funny because i have the same exact dent on my MB unibody from almost a identical case. I had it in a Booq sleeve in a messenger bag and the strap broke... At first i was really really mad as the mb was 1 month old but soon you learn to ignore it until you occasionally remember how it happened and you kick yourself.

25. n0d3 macrumors regular

What Booq sleeve were you using?